• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Library?

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
The intitial gun free school zone act was struck down. The Supreme Court ruled that Congress did not have the authority to pass such a law being the constitution did not grant them that authority specifically. So Congresswith it's infinate lack of regard for the Constitution and the Supreme Court changedit to come under the Interstate Commerce Clause which they do have authority under the Constitution. They made the claim that since your firearm has at one time moved under interstate commerce, that they retain the right to regulate it. That makes as much sense as saying that since your shoes onced moved under interstate commerce that they have the right to tell you what day of the week you can wear them. This law, if you were charged under federal statutes, by federal authorities, would most likely with a good lawyer be tossed out rather quickly. Of couse Congress brings a lot of their laws under Commerce in an attempt to try to make them apear legit. This law is not enforced here in NV either by local LEO.
Good info. Unfortunately, it seems that reasoned answers will never be enough to overcome Grimes extreme paranoia regarding his "1000 ft from a School Zone" fixation.

Lord knows I'm glad I don't live in his world -- I'd have been insane long ago.

Grimes

imported post

no its not extreme paranoia. i just tend to watch my back with laws. lets say by chance that you get a cop that decides to charge you with it. the legal fees of fighting it are not cheap.

"reasoned answers" do not make that act any less of an act.

protector84

imported post

I think it is paranoia when the facts as well as dozens of other people's interpreatations have all demonstrated that the law is unconstitutional and not enforced. Local and state police don't even have authority to enforce most federal laws. So even if you are dealing with the infamous bad cop that doesn't like you, since he will either be a local police officer, county sheriff's deputy, or state trooper (DPS), he is not going to be able to arrest you with a violation of U.S.C. He would have to hold you for a federal agent and you would have to appear in a federal court. Any LEO that would go to this much trouble is stupid because not only would it get thrown out of court so fast, it would end up all over the newspapers and probably start public protests.

Being excessively concerned about laws that are not enforced is in many ways "paranoia." I heard that it is also against the law for women to wear pants in Tucson, AZ. I guess I better alert my female friends in Tucson to start wearing dresses and skirts if they don't want to be hauled to jail. After all, we don't want them to just happen to run into one bad cop......:what: