• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Library?

Grimes

imported post

anything against OC in a public library? unless of course they have a sign.

mFonz77

imported post

I know the libraries in Phoenix are all posted No Firearms. Which, in my opinion, is completely brain-dead. The libraries are funded by part of my taxes and I should have the option to take advantage of them without being disarmed.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Phoenix libraries I've been in have the required storage areas. Not that I agree with it, but it appearsthey meet the legal requirements of having storage bins if they ask you to disarm.

GF

imported post

I know Peoria's has a NO WEAPONS sign, but they have lockers available for you.

r6-rider

imported post

Notso wrote:
The Phoenix libraries I've been in have the required storage areas. Not that I agree with it, but it appearsthey meet the legal requirements of having storage bins if they ask you to disarm.
yea i made that mistake in tempe. very quickly i was informed that no weapons were allowed so i made them store it... its not worth the trouble in my opinion. damn hippies got so scared

protector84

imported post

Look for signs. If no sign present, they can still tell you to disarm. If so, they are required to secure your weapon near the entrance to be made available to you upon checkout/exit.

RockyAcres

imported post

Hubbyasked at our local library (Wilmot Library, Tucson) before we both went in. The gal asked "You don't plan on shooting anyone do you?" Answered "Of course not; unless someone else starts shooting first!" Librarian response "No problem!"

That was about six months ago though. Otherwise, I've not seen any signs, in Tucson anyways...

Grimes

imported post

thanks guys. unfortunately, the library i go to is within 1000ft of a school:(

AZkopper

imported post

Grimes wrote:
thanks guys. unfortunately, the library i go to is within 1000ft of a school:(

Irrelevent!

The federal 1000 foot school rule is not enforced in AZ. Unless you are on school property, you are not violating any law in AZ.

Grimes

imported post

i've heard mixed views on it and just because it's not enforced doesn't mean you have the slight chance you can still be charged with it

protector84

imported post

This is proof right here that you are trolling. The school zone law has been repeatedly clarified yet you constantly keep inserting it in every thread where it is not even relevant. As to the "mixed views" you refer to, I haven't seen any of that. Every time you bring the subject up, everybody gives you the exact same answer yet you don't seem to want to read and listen.

protector84

imported post

Here is my advice: Stop carrying guns. If you are this afraid of this school zone law that nobody enforces then maybe you should sell your firearms and get involved in some other hobby or carry something else on you. The rest of us here are perfectly content with open carrying in Arizona regardless of where a school is located.

PavePusher

imported post

RockyAcres wrote:
Hubbyasked at our local library (Wilmot Library, Tucson) before we both went in. The gal asked "You don't plan on shooting anyone do you?" Answered "Of course not; unless someone else starts shooting first!" Librarian response "No problem!"

That was about six months ago though. Otherwise, I've not seen any signs, in Tucson anyways...
I've O.C.'d at the Miller-Golf Links branch (right beside the police station) a number of times and no-one even raised an eyebrow. I love Arizona. Too bad about the heat... :D

Grimes

imported post

protector84 wrote:
This is proof right here that you are trolling. The school zone law has been repeatedly clarified yet you constantly keep inserting it in every thread where it is not even relevant. As to the "mixed views" you refer to, I haven't seen any of that. Every time you bring the subject up, everybody gives you the exact same answer yet you don't seem to want to read and listen.
what proof that i am trolling? i am just telling what i have been told by other people and if you can find anything that supports the 1000-foot zone does not exist, i'd like to see it. as for now, i have actual proof that such a zone does exist, even if it is not very enforceable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

JesseL

imported post

Who wanders about in school zones anyway? Pedo's?

Considering that the 1000 foot rule defining school zones works out to a 72 acre bubble around each school, it probably hard to find a spot in most urban or suburban areas that isn't a school zone.

I know that the whole downtown area of Prescott is within 1000 feet of a school and I see people carrying around there all the time, including chatting with police officers.

I don't see any more reason to worry about the Gun Free School Zones Act, than I do about the laws that are still on the books prohibiting women from wearing pants.

protector84

imported post

It is like other stupid laws still on the books such as ones banning "co-habitation" or even certain sex acts among married couples or laws regulating horse-n-buggies, etc. They may still be on the books but not only are they not enforced, the cops and even the courts don't even know what they are and wouldn't even be able to enforce them.

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
RockyAcres wrote:

I've O.C.'d at the Miller-Golf Links branch (right beside the police station) a number of times and no-one even raised an eyebrow. I love Arizona. Too bad about the heat... :D
Heat? What heat?

Oh. Southern AZ. Never mind. *GRIN*

The Big Guy

imported post

The intitial gun free school zone act was struck down. The Supreme Court ruled that Congress did not have the authority to pass such a law being the constitution did not grant them that authority specifically. So Congresswith it's infinate lack of regard for the Constitution and the Supreme Court changedit to come under the Interstate Commerce Clause which they do have authority under the Constitution. They made the claim that since your firearm has at one time moved under interstate commerce, that they retain the right to regulate it. That makes as much sense as saying that since your shoes onced moved under interstate commerce that they have the right to tell you what day of the week you can wear them. This law, if you were charged under federal statutes, by federal authorities, would most likely with a good lawyer be tossed out rather quickly. Of couse Congress brings a lot of their laws under Commerce in an attempt to try to make them apear legit. This law is not enforced here in NV either by local LEO.