Thread: input request for letter I want to send to Governor

Post imported post

Dear Governor,

Today I had the pleasure of shopping at one of many fine ABC stores operated by the state of Virginia. Upon check out, I had a conversation with one of the store clerks. Somehow we managed to get on the topic of firearms. I proceeded to ask him whether or not he was allowed to carry a firearm while working at an ABC store. He replied that he was forbiddon from carrying a gun at work; however, he also added that he would carry if he was allowed to, but he needed the job.

I assume the restrictions on employees carrying firearms at ABC storesis a policy decision, since according to the code of Virginia, it is infact legal to carry a concealed firearm into an ABC store by a individual possessing a concealed handgun permit recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia, and it is also legal for somebody to carry a firearm into an ABC store openly without a permit.Since manyABC stores are visited bymany differn't patrons with many differn't motives, I do not understand why there is a policy on Virginia employees regulating law abiding Virginians to carry firearms while working behind the counter at state controlled establishment. I ask you to review this policy, and let every law abiding Virginian enjoyall the freedoms allotted to us.

Respectfully,

Rob99VMI04

Guys/gals add anything you want let me know your thoughts. Oo and my feeling won't be hurt if you add a comma here and rework a sentence there, or add complete paragraphs.

Post imported post

I would suggest that you wait until after January 16, 2010 to send such a letter.

TFred

Post imported post

I also understand that McDonnell has already indicated intent to sell off (privatize) the ABC stores, rendering your point immaterial. Can anyone confirm this?

Post imported post

I like to make reference to the regulations that prohibit employees from being able to defend themselves. I'd ask why the Commonwealth wants its employees to be defenseless.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

RPW wrote:
    I also understand that McDonnell has already indicated intent to sell off (privatize) the ABC stores, rendering your point immaterial. Can anyone confirm this?
    That was definitely one of his big campaign talking points. I have no idea if it would be a good idea, or if he will actually do it.

TFred

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I would suggest that you wait until after January 16, 2010 to send such a letter.
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    +1
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

A few comments:

1. ABC stores are NOT ABC-On, thus concealed carry with a permit should be legal.

2. Since they are State Owned, the preemption law applies.

3. Apparently, if you are EMPLOYED by a government entity within the State of Virginia they can forbid you to have a firearm on the property...WHILE YOU ARE "ON THE CLOCK".

I took a job with Prince WilliamCounty and was informed, during the initiation,that as employees we were not allowed to bring firearms onto County property. After the in-briefing, Iapproachedthe lecturer and askedher about that policy; as anyother citizen is allowed to do so. Actually, she was a strong supporter of theSecond Amendment and the right to carry firearms and we had a nice conversation.

Sheinformedme that if I was not working ("off-duty", so to speak) that I would certainly be allowed to carry aweapon; but if I was "on the clock", I couldn't.

Post imported post

This is true for many State employees. It is not against the law, it is against the Administrative Code. There is no legal "stick" to hold over you but you can loose your job.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Post imported post

I believe the crux of the problem is a "workplace violence" policy crafted by the VA. Dept. of Human Resource Mgt. that forbids all state employees from possessing a firearm at work, on state property, or while conducting state business, unless they are law enforcement. Personally, I see this as an infringement of individual rights and state pre-emption.

I would suggest you wait until the new administration takes office. Address your letter to the new Attorney General, Ken Cuccinelli, and copy Gov. McDonnell.

http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hrpolicy/web/pol1_80.html

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

If you are going to send it, please run it through spell check.

Forbiddon should be forbidden. Infact should be two words. Differn't should be different.

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    I believe the crux of the problem is a "workplace violence" policy crafted by the VA. Dept. of Human Resource Mgt. that forbids all state employees from possessing a firearm at work, on state property, or while conducting state business, unless they are law enforcement. Personally, I see this as an infringement of individual rights and state pre-emption.

I would suggest you wait until the new administration takes office. Address your letter to the new Attorney General, Ken Cuccinelli, and copy Gov. McDonnell.

Policy Number: 1.80 - Workplace Violence
    Efft. Date: 5/01/02
    Application: Full-time and part-time classified, “at will” and hourly employees.
    PURPOSE To establish a procedure that prohibits violence in the workplace.

DEFINITIONS
    Workplace

Any location, either permanent or temporary, where an employee performs any work-related duty. This includes, but is not limited to, the buildings and the surrounding perimeters, including the parking lots, field locations, alternate work locations, and travel to and from work assignments.

Prohibited actions
    Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to:
    • injuring another person physically;
    • engaging in behavior that creates a reasonable fear of injury to another person;
    • engaging in behavior that subjects another individual to extreme emotional distress;
    • possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;
    • intentionally damaging property;
    • threatening to injure an individual or to damage property;
    • committing injurious acts motivated by, or related to, domestic violence or sexual harassment; and
    • retaliating against any employee who, in good faith, reports a violation of this policy.
    Note: Employees may be authorized by their agencies to possess weapons in the workplace if they are required as a part of employees’ job duties with the Commonwealth.

Policy Violations
    Employees violating this policy will be subject to disciplinary action under Policy 1.60, Standards of Conduct, up to and including termination, based on the situation.

Violent acts of employees occurring outside the workplace also may be grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal. In these situations, the agency must demonstrate in writing that the violent conduct committed has an adverse impact on the employee’s ability to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities or that it undermines the effectiveness of the agency’s activities.

Post imported post

Reading through that... it implies that merely possessing a firearm AND being a state employee could get you in trouble.

I really don't like that policy at all. Reading through the whole thing made me feel dirty.

Post imported post

I agree with the above corrections and the idea to send it AFTER the new "Guv" takes office. The outgoing guy is working hard and fast to destroy any files that might bite him in the butt later. He has enough on his mind...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Reading through that... it implies that merely possessing a firearm AND being a state employee could get you in trouble.
    Yes, it certainly sounds that way, doesn't it? At a bare minimum, we need a parking lot pre-emption.

Still, I would question whether this administrative policy is subject to state pre-emption.

Someone please step in and correct me if my memory is askew, but wasn't it Bob McDonnellhasAttorney General who opined that state agencies may not establish a policy that isinconsistent, or exceeds what is allowable under state law regarding the possession and carrying of firearms? (no firearms in state parks) Wasn't this, at least in part - the basis of that opinion?

Post imported post

raftgyde wrote:
    Armed wrote:

Application: Full-time and part-time classified, “at will” and hourly employees.

DEFINITIONS
    Workplace

Any location, either permanent or temporary, where an employee performs any work-related duty. This includes, but is not limited to, the buildings and the surrounding perimeters, including the parking lots, field locations, alternate work locations, and travel to and from work assignments.

Prohibited actions
    • engaging in behavior that creates a reasonable fear of injury to another person;
    • engaging in behavior that subjects another individual to extreme emotional distress;
    • possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;
    • committing injurious acts motivated by, or related to, domestic violence or sexual harassment; and
    • retaliating against any employee who, in good faith, reports a violation of this policy.
    Note: Employees may be authorized by their agencies to possess weapons in the workplace if they are required as a part of employees’ job duties with the Commonwealth.

Policy Violations
    Employees violating this policy will be subject to disciplinary action under Policy 1.60, Standards of Conduct, up to and including termination, based on the situation.

Violent acts of employees occurring outside the workplace also may be grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal. In these situations, the agency must demonstrate in writing that the violent conduct committed has an adverse impact on the employee’s ability to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities or that it undermines the effectiveness of the agency’s activities.

I guess the reason for my letter is this is a policy not a law. Technically the Govenor could wave the magic governor wand and make this policy go away without going through the law making process.

Post imported post

Do you really think that as a county employee, I didn't have my weapon in my car???

Post imported post

raftgyde wrote:
    Armed wrote:

DEFINITIONS
    Workplace

Prohibited actions

Policy Violations

What are you to do if you have a 2nd job (as many state employees do) that requires the carrying of a firearm? Based on this "policy" anyone caught with a gun in their car is screwed.

HR weenies seem to never be able to answer a question when asked but always state "I will have to check on that and get back to you", which they rarely ever do. God forbid you ask them about your "benefits".