• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are these videos antigun?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

The pamphlet says keep your guns away from kids, its the law. Then it says be responsible and teach them gun safety so they know what to do if they find one somewhere else. That is good practice.

The 'commercials' aren't blatantly anti-gun, and (I think) could be percieved biased either way.

Dreamer

imported post

These videos are especially poignant in light of the incident in Onslow County NC yesterday, where a 3-year-old died from injuries sustained when he shot himself in the head with a loaded gun left on a table in the house.

His father is a civilian police officer aboard Camp Lejeune. The handgun has been confirmed as belonging to the father, who was not at home at the time.

http://www.enctoday.com/news/child-69945-jdn-sheriff-shooting.html

I pray for these parents, and hope that they can forgive themselves for this horrendous error on their part. It's a tragic way to learn gun safety in the home, and an LEO should have known better...

If you've got children, and you keep firearms in the house, PLEASE keep your guns in a safe, disabled with a cable-lock, or on your hip. I don't think that's unreasonable.

When my sister and nephew visit (he's 17 now) I always keep my firearms locked up and cabled, with the exception of the one on my hip. When I travel to visit my sister (and the same nephew), I either wear my pistol, or keep it locked in a case, with a cable lock through the action.

There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge". All guns should be treated as loaded and ready-to-fire, whether you "know" they are clear or not. This is RULE NUMBER ONE in firearms safety...

Now that I've got a grand-daughter, you'd better believe I'm going to have to change the way I keep and store my firearms. I'm already ramping up my storage and security measures, and getting in the habit of cable-locking all my firearms that aren't being carried. I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep my home defense shotgun secure and child-proof and yet still have it quickly accessible by the adults in the house if the SHTF.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree with the others.

These videos are not at all anti-gun and are clearly anti-irresponsibility toward gun safety.

They are not propaganda for anti-gun advocates, at least that is not the intention. Anti-gun folks use the injury and death of children that gained access to a gun as a way to toughen their position on gun control.

If you have firearms in your household and children are there, whether they live there or not, make sure your firearms are not accessible to those children, no exceptions. That is all it is saying. The gun locks look exactly like the ones I see at our local police district offices and sheriff's offices up here in Greensboro.

Redwolf

imported post

I dont want to start an argument but yes there are accidental discharges, you proved that by posting that link. The 3 year old was not negligent, the mother or father was. There is a big differnce between AD's and ND's. To a brighter note heres an idea for a shotgun holder thats been proven to work while mantaining accessibleity, and shold be easy to mount and not take up a lot of room depending on what type of lock it has.

http://www.fleetsafety.com/ProGard-Vehicle-Gun-Rack-Vertical-Floor-Mount-G4906-189

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Redwolf wrote:
I dont want to start an argument but yes there are accidental discharges, you proved that by posting that link. The 3 year old was not negligent, the mother or father was. There is a big differnce between AD's and ND's. To a brighter note heres an idea for a shotgun holder thats been proven to work while mantaining accessibleity, and shold be easy to mount and not take up a lot of room depending on what type of lock it has.

http://www.fleetsafety.com/ProGard-Vehicle-Gun-Rack-Vertical-Floor-Mount-G4906-189
I don't think you'll start an argument here.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I'd have to lean with Dreamer on that one, i'd classify that as a ND due to the fact the father who owns the gun left it there. Regardless, we would be splitting hairs because the result was nevertheless the same.

It's like this... http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34039315/ns/sports-nba/

Mr. Williams was showing people around his place using a shotgun as a pointer... not a bright idea. Near the end of the fiasco he closes up the shotgun, no story or witness reports he pulls the trigger but that the shotgun goes off when he closes it up hitting his driver in the chest, thus killing him.

We can argue all day that it was the guns fault for malfunctioning, or it's hisfault for using it as a pointer.But reallyif you follow all the rules of gun safety there is no way you should have AD/ND that ends in death or injury.

It's your obligation as a gun owner to be safe with all firearms at all times, or you shouldn't own one.