• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show - Sellers watch out

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
I'm still surprised when I see people traipsing around in the woods when hunting season is on, and they don't even have on blaze orange. Hikers should wear blaze orange.

I saw a strange sight in Rockbridge County once when I was out with my friend deer hunting. I saw some hikers who had their black dog, with them. They carried a branch with them that looked like deer antlers. I went up to the woman with her friend, said "don't you know it's general firearms season?" I said, "I would at least have on blaze orange, and especially have it on my dog, besides I didn't advise that she carry a branch that looked like deer antlers." Where she was hiking was wall-to-wall hunter. Any one of them could have shot that bunch of loons. It was so crowded that my friend and I left.

With props to Jeff Cooper....

[align=center]The Four Rules

[align=left]One of Jeff Cooper'struly best, yet least appreciated, contributions to shooting in general has been the Four Rules of firearms safety. These four rules distill the often multitudinous rules promulgated by many organizations into four easy to remember principles that if followed explicitly will guarantee firearms safety. (NRA please take note.)[/align]
  • All firearms are loaded. - There are no exceptions. Don't pretend that this is true. Know that it is and handle all firearms accordingly. Do not believe it when someone says: "It isn't loaded."
  • Never let the muzzle of a firearm point at anything you are not willing to destroy. - If you would not want to see a bullet hole in it do not allow a firearm's muzzle to point at it. EVER!
  • Keep your finger off the trigger unless your sights are on the target. - Danger abounds if you keep your finger on the trigger when you are not about to shoot. Speed is not gained by prematurely placing your finger on the trigger as bringing a firearm to bear on a target takes more time than it takes to move your finger to the trigger.
  • Be sure of your target and what is behind it. - Never shoot at sounds or a target you cannot positively identify. Know what is in line with the target and what is behind it (bullets are designed to go through things). Be aware of your surroundings whether on a range, in the woods, or in a potentially lethal conflict.

[/align]
If you can't positively identify it as a deer, you shouldn't be shooting!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

jmb_nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
In a very famous book well known in the gun culture, there is an incident in a gun show which plays out rather interestingly. Makes me wonder if this could really happen.

The main character was helping a friend at a gun show. The friend was FFL and also sold Class 3 firearms. A man approached the display tables and started to question the helping friend about how to make semi-autos into fully automatic weapons. The helper suddenly pulled his sidearm on the man, telling him not to move then yelled for someone to get the state police and the AFT. Seems it is illegal to try to get someone to tell you how to modify a firearm into full auto without it being sent through the ATF.

The funny thing was the man who was asking questions was an undercover ATF man who was trying to trap the dealer and the helping man knew what was happening. Question is this. Did the undercover ATF man break the law and was the helping man acting within the law?

BTW, the book is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.
Wouldn't that make it entrapment? A cop breaking the law to get you to break the law??
One would think so which was why I asked the question. Of course the book is a work of fiction, but it does present an interesting scenario. Whenever I am at gun shows, I am cautious about with whom I speak and the subject matter unless I know the individual, just for these reasons.

wylde007

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I know about his quail hunting accident, but what happened when Dickwas deer hunting?
It was more in reference to:

Never shoot at sounds or a target you cannot positively identify.

Although the section I quoted would tend to imply otherwise. Apologies. It was meant in a more general manner.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

architect wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Whenever I am at gun shows, I am cautious about with whom I speak and the subject matter unless I know the individual
Why? If you're not planning on doing anything illegal...what do you have to hide? ;)
I'm actually a serial killer, looking for some prime victims and a crowded gun show parking lot increases the thrill.

Nope, nothing illegal. Why would you assume such?

ClumsyCandy

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
In a very famous book well known in the gun culture, there is an incident in a gun show which plays out rather interestingly. Makes me wonder if this could really happen.

The main character was helping a friend at a gun show. The friend was FFL and also sold Class 3 firearms. A man approached the display tables and started to question the helping friend about how to make semi-autos into fully automatic weapons. The helper suddenly pulled his sidearm on the man, telling him not to move then yelled for someone to get the state police and the AFT. Seems it is illegal to try to get someone to tell you how to modify a firearm into full auto without it being sent through the ATF.

The funny thing was the man who was asking questions was an undercover ATF man who was trying to trap the dealer and the helping man knew what was happening. Question is this. Did the undercover ATF man break the law and was the helping man acting within the law?

Wouldn't that make it entrapment? A cop breaking the law to get you to break the law??
One would think so which was why I asked the question. Of course the book is a work of fiction, but it does present an interesting scenario. Whenever I am at gun shows, I am cautious about with whom I speak and the subject matter unless I know the individual, just for these reasons.

Maybe every firearm should come with the rules attached...even my traveling companions 7 year old daughter can recite the first three rules. She only shoots at the range so it's not necessary for her to know the fourth at this time. Which, btw, she does very well with knowing her rules, and she has known, since she could speak to tell an adult anytime she sees a gun.

Did anyone see the report on Ch. 8 last night about a Tech student who secretly recorded at a Gun Show? I recorded the Janet Jackson interview and am watching it now and saw a blurb for it. Is this just a replay of what was on 20/20 awhile back? Or is it something new?

ClumsyCandy

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Maybe every firearm should come with the rules attached...even my traveling companions 7 year old daughter can recite the first three rules. She only shoots at the range so it's not necessary for her to know the fourth at this time. Which, btw, she does very well with knowing her rules, and she has known, since she could speak to tell an adult anytime she sees a gun.

Did anyone see the report on Ch. 8 last night about a Tech student who secretly recorded at a Gun Show? I recorded the Janet Jackson interview and am watching it now and saw a blurb for it. Is this just a replay of what was on 20/20 awhile back? Or is it something new?

Okay just went and looked, and if you go to http://www.wric.comand scroll down there is the video of the "story." It's more ANTI BS about oh it was so easy to go into a gun show and buy guns from non-liscensed dealers! And he didn't have to show ID or anything! *sigh* LEARN THE LAWS PEOPLE!

Oh then he complains about how "hard" it was to "get rid" of the guns that after he bought them he called the police and they wouldn't take the guns. Again, can I just say

DUH!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

So to keep this on topic, if you're going to sell a gun at a gun show, ask for ID. Do it right since the anti's are just going to keep "going undercover" to prove how "easy" it is to get a gun in Virginia. Should we remind them (again!) that Cho bought his guns LEGALLY!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
snip.....
See latest Va-Alert of todays date.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:
Unfortunately I am not a VCDL member and therefore do not get the alerts!
You don't need to be a member to sign up for the alerts. They're FREE!!
Good to know, Thanks!
It's good for the cause to join, so there are bigger numbers to report, but if you absolutely can't get the free e-mail alerts, you can always read them in the archive.

TFred

buster81

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:

You can see the kid's video here. Of course, it appears in Mrs. Casey's fear blog.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/dancasey/2009/11/18/brady-campaign-video-stars-virginia-tech-survivor/#comments

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I agree we should ensure someone is a resident and of legal age before selling a weapon. I would also generate some sort of paper trail to COVER MY buttocks in the event the weapon is used illegally.
Most of us here feel the same way. Its the responsible thing to do. Some on here have generarated a "Bill of Sale" that looked pretty good and covered both the seller and the buyer.
The very FEW people they found to sell weapons on this video are IMHO a very small minority. I can't imagine someone selling guns in this day and age in good conscience to a complete stanger with "no tax, no paperwork".

The lack of paperwork bothers me. Does a private seller have to collect (and pay) TAXES on the sale of a firearm??? PLEASE tell me it "ain't so"!!! I would certainly document (and verify with proper ID) someone's "info" before selling a weapon.

Am I being an @$$hole or responsible person for this attitude?

wylde007

imported post

All laws which violate the Constitution are illegal.

Sale, transfer or trade between one lawful, individual citizen and another from the same state CANNOT be lawfully restricted.

But they are... :?