• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Typical Norfolk Va. Police dept?

surfacewarrior

imported post

Sat.night my two sons and daughter inlaw were coming home from dinner and drove around 3 yahoos in the middle of the road, as the family was getting ready to go in these POS drove up and accused them of trying to run them over, argument ensued sons were going to engage two POS in fisticuffs when 3rd POS pulled handgun from under bushesacross from our house pointed at (brandished) at my wife,sons,daughter in law, cops came got lic plate but said they didnot see gun being brandished, told family to put up no tresspassing sign and write letter to POS barring from property. something tells me that if that was the chiefs fammily something further would have been done. I am in Alabama wife was visiting Norfolk for Thanksgiving, they can areest peacefull open carry people at waterside and get it jammed up the bung hole in court but cannot/will not look for brandisher.

darthmord

imported post

Law enforcement can only arrest for crimes they are watching occur or have video evidence of. The witnesses to the crime could go in front of a magistrate and swear out a warrant at which point, something could be done.

But no, the police typically won't just show up and arrest someone based what one party is claiming.

Rattrapper

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Law enforcement can only arrest for crimes they are watching occur or have video evidence of. The witnesses to the crime could go in front of a magistrate and swear out a warrant at which point, something could be done.

But no, the police typically won't just show up and arrest someone based what one party is claiming.
First, Is Assault by Means of A Dangerous Weapon, A felony in The Commonwealth Of Virginia? (I did not say Battery) If so in most states That alone is all the Police need to make an arrest for a crime not committed in thier presence. If I am correct in this, Then the above statement is very misleading.

darthmord

imported post

Best bet would be to ask one of the folks in the VA forum. Several are/were law enforcement.

I know the rules regarding handling misdemeanor and felony are different in VA. Several of the recent threads in the VA forum have discussed these in detail.

It is very possible I have conflated or otherwise mangled key details. If I have, I do apologize.

mobeewan

imported post

Some time this past year a coworker and his son had someone cut them off in a parking lot in Newport News. Words were exchanged and one of the guys in the other car brandished a fire arm. He got the license no. of the vehicle and description and called 911. The police stopped the car and found a concealed handgun and arrested and charged the perp for CC w/o a permit, brandishing and I forgot what else. They also took a statement from my coworker. I'll have to ask him how it turned out. I forgot about the incident until I read this thread.