• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My DIY retention holster

TheSzerdi

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Wow, lots of really great looking leather here. Nice work, guys.

My only question is the practicality of carrying in a thigh rig on a motorcycle. I've spent a lot of time on two wheels, and I know how the roads in Michigan can get... the thought of my firearm in that position (barrel roughly parallel to the road) would make me a little nervous. Not only for the muzzle direction (yeah, I know the likelihoods, but...), but also the higher risk of a bounce-out. Carried vertically on a belt is pretty secure. Horizontally in a thigh rig on a bike? I dunno... thoughts?

I've ridden my bike with my thigh rig several times. It's active retention and bouncing out hasn't worried me at all. When I get home I usually do a quick barrel swab to remove the few stray bits of dirt that get into the barrel (If it really worries you, stick a cork in the end. I guarantee it won't slow down the lead lol). Remember, most of these guns are made to be tough and still work after taking some horrendous punishment. Obviously I wouldn't carry a competition precision machined target pistol like this, but my bargain brand 1911? Sure.

lapeer20m

imported post

manicdevery wrote
just wondering how you think it feels. one of the first rigs i had kept riding up/shifting. really been wanting a thigh rig. looks nice, keep up the work.

Devery
I don't have any photos, but i re-designed the thigh rig to have two straps that go around the leg. not because i thought it needed it, but because all of the thigh rig holsters i looked at online have two sets of straps.

as far as dirt/rain getting in the barrel, i had not thought of that. It would be easy enough to redesign the holster with the end closed.

I think that future thigh rig holsters i make will have nylon webbing straps. Leather straps are too time consuming to make, and i think webbing would do just as good a job.

lapeer20m

imported post

my latest retention holster:

DSCN1521.JPG

DSCN1520.JPG

wally1120

imported post

Hey, If you are looking for a holster for your hi point, And dont mind it they make a IWB by mikes. I love the UM holsters, They make them for Left or, Right handed users. And they cost next to nothing as well.