• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My DIY retention holster

lapeer20m

imported post

I have made several non-retention holsters lately, and today i made a new retention holster. It turned out ok, but i think i could do it a little nicer if i practice on a few more.

I also tried out my new pink leather dye on a holster i made for the ol lady.

DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

DSCN1502.JPG

DSCN1505.JPG

DSCN1506.JPG

Bronson

imported post

Hey Lapeer,

I've been making my own holsters for just a little bit and have learned a great deal from the helpful people over at www.leatherworker.net They have an entire forum dedicated to holsters/sheaths with some pro holster makers that will answer questions and give advice.

I have a few suggestions that might help if you'd like to hear 'em.

Bronson

p.s. Here'slink to my Flickr page if you want to check out my stuff.

lapeer20m

imported post

nice job, the wife likes the pink one a lot

i can make your wife a pink holster non-retention holster just like that one for $35 bucks. black or brown non-retention ones are $25. Black rentention type would prob cost more like $40...they are a lot more work!

to the above poster, I do not feel comfortable trying to make a paddle holster. Isn't a paddle retention holster a bit of an oxymoron?

manicdevery

imported post

I have been wanting a thigh holster but i do not like nylon holsters, i am a big leather fan. i have a galco shoulder harness, and a bianchi waist holster, would bewilling topay to have it shipped oreven pick it up myself. if you would be interested in taking on this task PM me witha quote/details. if not at least let me say.Nice Work. the pink one would look good on my ol lady if that were the only thing she were wearing. . .
tongue.gif

cabman1

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
nice job, the wife likes the pink one a lot

i can make your wife a pink holster non-retention holster just like that one for $35 bucks.  black or brown non-retention ones are $25.  Black rentention type would prob cost more like $40...they are a lot more work!

to the above poster, I do not feel comfortable trying to make a paddle holster.  Isn't a paddle retention holster a bit of an oxymoron?

how about just a nice left handed holster for my hi point 9 mm

have not been able to find a nice left handed holster unless its nylon and to big for that gun

EM87

imported post

Lapeer20m - I really like the holsters and I'm very impressed with your skill. One question though... Shouldn't the thumb break be on the inside of the holster so your thumb is on the correct side of the gun when you draw? Just curious as to why you put yours on the outside.

lapeer20m

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Lapeer20m - I really like the holsters and I'm very impressed with your skill. One question though... Shouldn't the thumb break be on the inside of the holster so your thumb is on the correct side of the gun when you draw? Just curious as to why you put yours on the outside.
you sir, have an excellent eye for detail!

i copied a buddies left handed holster to make that one.....everything needed to be a mirror image of the original since my holster is for a righty.....I forgot to reverse things when i did the thumb break. basically, i accidentally put a left handed thumb break on a right handed holster.

Bronson

imported post

Are you planning on stitching it together?

Here are some things that helped me out quite a bit:

This article by JD Lawhon got me started. I've changed some things to better suit me but it's a good place to start---http://www.jdlawhon.com/tutorial.html

The book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Al Stohlman is a MUST have.

"How To Make Holsters" also by Stohlman is a handy reference. It has a bunch of old timey patterns in it but the beginning has some very useful tips on layout and construciton thatare still applicable with modern holsters.

"Leatherwork Manual" by Stohlman, Patten, and Wilson has some great general info on leatherwork and construction methods.

You know about the location of the retention strap so no need to cover that one.

The first thing I'd recommend is to cut it for a full firing grip and expose the mag release, at least on the left side. For the firing grip the leather where the trigger guard meets the grip needs to trimmed away so it doesn't interfere with your normal grip of the pistol. Notice on this holster from UBG Holsters the space between the top of the holster mouth and the grip/trigger guard junction? That's needed to obtain a good grip.

owb_phaetos.jpg

Exposing the mag release on the side of the button will actually reduce the occurences of having your mag get popped loose.

Next would be get it all stitched together and dress the edges. Also, round off all pointy corners. These will catch on things and dog-ear over time and generally be a big hassle.

If I can help in any way please feel free to ask. Also, try to take advantage of the very talented makers out there that are willing to answer questions over on www.leatherworker.net. They have helped me immensely.

Good job and keep at it :cool:

Bronson

EM87

imported post

I'm starting to get really interested in making a holster of my own because of this thread. If only I had more time to do things like this... or maybe that's just an excuse. I was telling myself today that I need another hobby, and leather working (especially holsters) might be right up my alley in terms of being able to make something both creative and useful. But then again, I already have three different types holsters for my one gun. Maybe I need to buy another gun... :p

How much does it cost for the basic materials to do something like this?

Bronson

imported post

It's a great hobby but it won't save you any money. It's like taking up bass fishing because you think it'll be cheaper than buying fish at the store :p

The basic tools aren't too bad but you'll soon find yourselfwith more than the basic tools. Then you'll need a place to put them. Then you'll need better leather. Then better dye. Then a hydraulic holster press (I'm putting mine together right now). Then a sewing machine (that'll be a while, I can't justify multi-thousands of $$ for a hobby). The list goes on and on.

Bronson

lapeer20m

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Bronson wrote:
It's a great hobby but it won't save you any money.

Darn, I guess I can't really afford it then. Money's already tight as it is. Maybe in the future, who knows.
+1

I bought a used industrial machine to sew leather, spent $150 in leather so far, $100 on dye and other leather finishing products, plus small things like snaps, chicago screws, thread, needles, razor blades, dremel tool attachments, not to mention all the tools i already have, like drill bits, dewalt drill, dremel tool. paint brushes, paint sprayer, air compressor, hammers, etc.....

So far, i've spent less than $1,000. It's a loosing proposition selling a few holsters trying to get all my money back....not to mention all of my time. Like bronson said, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a holster, even if it is an expensive one.

leather making is addictive. I just can't stop!

here is one of my non-retention holsters. I just didn't think they were as interesting here since non-retention isn't appropriate for OCing in most circumstances.

i can make these non-retention holsters in right or left hand. I've been selling them for $25 each.

these two are both the same as the pink one (although the pink one is a newer one with slight modifications) I have made a bunch of these. The molding/boning process makes it custom to each gun.

DSCN1478.JPG

DSCN1473.JPG

Bronson

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
how about just a nice left handed holster for my hi point 9 mm

have not been able to find a nice left handed holster unless its nylon and to big for that gun

I'd need to have your gun for a bit. I have a CPL so no worries about legality and I'd write you a reciept when I took possession of it. I also have a safe for when it is stored.

PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Bronson

lapeer20m

imported post

this is my latest prototype. I spent hours working on this today, it's actually quite complicated compared to the others. It's not quite finished..actually this one will be torn apart and used to make a pattern.

It'll look nice strapped to my leg while out riding my motorcycle.

DSCN1511.JPG

DSCN1516.JPG

EM87

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
this is my latest prototype.  I spent hours working on this today, it's actually quite complicated compared to the others.  It's not quite finished..actually this one will be torn apart and used to make a pattern.   

Looks nice!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Wow, lots of really great looking leather here. Nice work, guys.

My only question is the practicality of carrying in a thigh rig on a motorcycle. I've spent a lot of time on two wheels, and I know how the roads in Michigan can get... the thought of my firearm in that position (barrel roughly parallel to the road) would make me a little nervous. Not only for the muzzle direction (yeah, I know the likelihoods, but...), but also the higher risk of a bounce-out. Carried vertically on a belt is pretty secure. Horizontally in a thigh rig on a bike? I dunno... thoughts?

manicdevery

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
this is my latest prototype. I spent hours working on this today, it's actually quite complicated compared to the others. It's not quite finished..actually this one will be torn apart and used to make a pattern.

DSCN1511.JPG

DSCN1516.JPG

just wondering how you think it feels. one of the first rigs i had kept riding up/shifting. really been wanting a thigh rig. looks nice, keep up the work.

Devery