• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield xd and Glock questions?

erich_kopp

imported post

I have heard of the torture tests on both the Springfield XD and Glock firearms. I own both XD and a Glock 21 (both .45 acp) and was wondering if anybodyknows whohas the bestwar time battle experience? (not police or S.W.A.T. experience.) Thank you.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I don't think either has been used in any major war. There aren't many (if any) militaries that use those pistols.

David.Car

imported post

The torture tests don't have anything to do with actual use.

They usually consist of shooting off 1,000 rounds as fast as you can, or throwing it in the mud then firing off couple hundred, or freezing it in a block of ice, breaking it out and using it, or crap like that.

joeroket

imported post

The Glocks are in use by the Israeli military and police as well as the Austrian military. Not that is says a lot but they did opt to use it for service.

Edit: might help if I specify which pistol I am talking about.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

The .45 ACP cartridge is not as popular in the "rest" of the world outside the United States. And, considering the most-often issued pistol in the US Military forces are 9mm caliber, you aren't going to find the comparison you are looking for.There are exceptions to the rule, such as the use of the MK23(chambered in .45) and the Sig P229 DAK's in the USCG (chambered in .40S&W), but the 9mm is still"King" of the military pistol calibers here, andmost everywhere else in the world.

Either one is going to serve you well for whatever you ask of in a defensive pistol. Personally, I prefer the GLOCK system (as I'm used to it), but wouldn't feel under-armed relying on an XD were it the only option.

Stretch

imported post

I was talking with a doctor the other day who chose the XD based upon his friend whom is in the SF for our military. He said his friend firmly stands behind his choice in the XD platform.

That is the only military usage I know of. ;)

Vandal

imported post

XD9s are the primary side arm for the Croatian military at a minimum. I have heard of quite a few American LE agencies moving from Glock to XD and the M&P in varying calibers.

My XD45 is my nightstand gun and alternates in daily carry with my Kimber based on need.

gsx1138

imported post

Two reasons for a lot of Glock adopters is they're reliable and they're cheap. I love my XD but Springfield hasn't really pushed it into the military or Police. The big mover right now is the S&W M&P. They are practically giving that thing away to get law enforcement agencies to adopt it. And from what I hear it's excellent also.

Honestly I think there are many many pistols out now that are just as good or exceed the Glock. They just don't have brand recognition.

sirpuma

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Two reasons for a lot of Glock adopters is they're reliable and they're cheap. I love my XD but Springfield hasn't really pushed it into the military or Police. The big mover right now is the S&W M&P. They are practically giving that thing away to get law enforcement agencies to adopt it. And from what I hear it's excellent also.

Honestly I think there are many many pistols out now that are just as good or exceed the Glock. They just don't have brand recognition.
The XD is used by the Croation police and military. Known as the HS2000

Glock Torture Test http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

XD Torture Test http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

David.Car

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I agree.

Not saying there is something wrong with Glocks. I just believe there are far better choices. But I can see why departments would go with the glock as far as ease of use, the very easy ability to find replacement parts and qualified gun smiths, and for the lower cost then associated with some other brands.

I will always carry my Sig over any other firearm. It is just a personal preference. But the Sig 226 and the Beretta were the only 2 firearms that successfully passed the military tests. They went with Beretta because it was cheaper :p

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will always carry my Sig over any other firearm. It is just a personal preference. But the Sig 226 and the Beretta were the only 2 firearms that successfully passed the military tests. They went with Beretta because it was cheaper :p
I agree, I carry my Sig 229 over any other firearm. My brother in law, is a USSS agent. I figure that if it is good enough for protection of POTUS then it is good enough to protect me and my family.

gsx1138

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I agree, I carry my Sig 229 over any other firearm. My brother in law, is a USSS agent. I figure that if it is good enough for protection of POTUS then it is good enough to protect me and my family.

Almost bought a Sig P229 for "the wife" but I can't support them with their decision to only give one magazine. I ended up buying the FNP-9 instead, which I love (even though it's for "the wife"), because it feels very much like a Sig and come with 3 magazines.

David.Car

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Almost bought a Sig P229 for "the wife" but I can't support them with their decision to only give one magazine. I ended up buying the FNP-9 instead, which I love (even though it's for "the wife"), because it feels very much like a Sig and come with 3 magazines.

My 226 came with 2 mags...

Not that I use them. I order my Mec-Gar Sig mags. They are the company that makes the Sig factory mags but sells them from their own company for half the price... 18 round flush fitting mags for $17 each? You bet.