Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Examiner.com: American ships buck trend, sail armed

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Please SUBSCRIBE to this column and DIGG and REDDIT this article!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...end-sail-armed

SNIP

Only hours ago Somali pirates attacked the USS Marsk Alabama in International waters. But unlike last April, when the ship was taken captive, this time the US flagged ship "responded with small-arms fire . . . and evasive maneuvers to thwart the attack." Hard to port ye mateys! It be an American ship ahead!

Post imported post

Hell yeah.

And bless the Mearsk Alabama's crew for having the balls to sail back through Somali waters after the pirates boasted that they would kill Americans after the SEAL shooting.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

It's about dang time.

I wonder what the age limit is for the Merchant Marine. I can swab decks as good as anyone. Can furnish my own weapons, too.

Post imported post

I don't understand the final paragraph about issuing letters of Marque and Reprisal. The US is a signatory nation to the Hague Convention of 1907.

Link: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague07.asp
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I don't understand the final paragraph about issuing letters of Marque and Reprisal. The US is a signatory nation to the Hague Convention of 1907.

Link: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague07.asp
    OK, what is the point?

Post imported post

Here's some interesting info on the subject.

Thundar, it's not about converting them to warships, it's authorizing private, commercial mariners to capture and/or kill pirates, under the authorization of the US Government.

TFred

Post imported post

I read an article about the captain of the Maersk Alabama. Shortly after returning home, the first thing he did was take a private lesson in how to properly use an AK-47.
    Smart Man.

Post imported post

I recommend outfitting them with 5 inch torpedoes.
    When a Somali approaches and displays ill intent, turn 'em loose!
    The piracy problem would be solved within 72 hours!

Post imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
    I read an article about the captain of the Maersk Alabama. Shortly after returning home, the first thing he did was take a private lesson in how to properly use an AK-47.
    Smart Man.
    Nice. None of this "oh my gawd I need to wring my hands and pray for those a-holes who held me hostage and got brained for it" crap. No, a better strategy is to turn the ship and her crew into something pirates know to stay clear of.

Post imported post

I am very happy for the Marsk Alabama. Hopefully more ships will arm, then the pirates will learn that ships with American flags will be off limits. Then, ships flying the European flags of thosewho dont like guns will be increased targets, knowing they are safe to take.

And how dumb are those pirates? Did they not get the message about their buddies getting sniped by navy seals last time they tried to take over the Alabama?

Centurion

Post imported post

EVERY PERSON HAS THE GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES FROM UNPROVOKED ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repeat adnauseum!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

A big AMEN to that, Joe.

I actually stumbled onto the Open Carry site during my web searches regarding the East African sea piracy epidemic. I was researching maritime security which eventually led to the gun rights movement.

I'm in Solano County, between Sacramento and SF. I'm new on here, learning all I can before I attempt an UOC in my town, with my Glock 30. Want to be sure I have it totally covered since I don't really want to get arrested (since I'm considering a 2nd career in LE).

Post imported post

myHumboldtopinion wrote:
    A big AMEN to that, Joe.

I actually stumbled onto the Open Carry site during my web searches regarding the East African sea piracy epidemic. I was researching maritime security which eventually led to the gun rights movement.

I'm in Solano County, between Sacramento and SF. I'm new on here, learning all I can before I attempt an UOC in my town, with my Glock 30. Want to be sure I have it totally covered since I don't really want to get arrested (since I'm considering a 2nd career in LE).
    Welcome to OCDO. (Open Carry Dot Org). I suggest you spend some time in the California sub-forum, you will get much more helpful information there than in one of the general forums.

TFred

Post imported post

Hell yea. F them pirates up!
    Those pirates are on tiny manuverable boats, torpedo's wouldn't be very effective.
    A minigun, however, would disintegrate their ships in seconds... literally.

Privateers in a war would violate international law/agreements.
    Good thing pirates don't count.

Put a price on their head.

Can you say H&K GMG or XM307?
    FULL AUTO GRENADE LAUNCHERS

You don't have to have precision marine snipers if you shoot BEFORE they
    have hostages.

boom.... 15 times in 5 seconds.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Swabbing decks suck, there is no getting around it.....and it's not worth it when you can carry now and NOT swab decks. Or strip and wax them. Even if you are getting paid for it, no matter how much. I'm just saying. I might have thought twice about joining the Navy if I had known about all the extra manual labor that was included

Post imported post

This :celebrate:
    Only hours ago Somali pirates attacked the USS Marsk Alabama in International waters. But unlike last April, when the ship was taken captive, this time the US flagged ship "responded with small-arms fire . . . and evasive maneuvers to thwart the attack." Hard to port ye mateys! It be an American ship ahead!
    Greatly helped me to deal with this :

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Yep we need to stop trying to please the world and arm all our ships merchant or not. Is there a reason why Israeli ships are not attacked, oh yea the pirates know they are armed.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

Post imported post

An appropriate time to quote the song "America, F*@# Yeah!"

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

Thundar, it's not about converting them to warships, it's authorizing private, commercial mariners to capture and/or kill pirates, under the authorization of the US Government.

TFred
    TFRED, you are correct that Merchant Ships are allowed to defend themselves, but that is not what my comment was about. Merchant ships cannot go out patrolling the high seas looking for pirates as if they were naval vessels, though we could convert a merchant ship to a naval ship if we wanted.

Letters of Marque and Reprisal are all about privateers going out to do the work of navies, usually for personal gain. That is what the last paragraph of the gun rights examiner called for. That is exactly what we (the USA) promised not to do in the Hague Convention of 1907. The Hague Convention has the same standing in International Law as the Geneva Convention.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:

Damn it Joe! Do that again and you gotta pay for my blood pressure medicine!

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:

I don't see the problem...it's just one man acknowledging his obvious inferiority to another.

Post imported post

I don't know if you know exactly how right you are, Tomahawk. I studied Shotokan Karate back in 1972-73 and I know that when bowing to an EQUAL as in before sparring, you keep your eyes fixed on him - NOT the FLOOR. The greeting "Sensei Ni Rei!" "We bow to the Teacher!" was accompanied by the Obama-style bow.

How ironic that the first black "President" (I can't bring myself not to use quotes) stands before the leader of a former ally of patently racist (duh!) Nazi Germany and uses a gesture that pronounces himself - and by extension America - "inferior"..

I saw this bow from a different angle and although I was disgusted then, I had no idea that it was not the usual poite bow of greeting but rather the abject expression of inferiority of a pupil or a serf or a subject. Barf-o-Rama.

Banned

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    That is exactly what we (the USA) promised not to do in the Hague Convention of 1907. The Hague Convention has the same standing in International Law as the Geneva Convention.
    In other words, to be crapped on by U.S. Presidents at will.

Post imported post

I thought you were supposed to call 911 and wait for the police to arrive.

When seconds count, the US Navy is only hours away

(Note: not a dig on the US Navy)

Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

It seems quite simple to me. Every person on a ship should have a PDW of his or her choice. The sides of the ship should be equipped with Mk19's.

With a few days of training, this would be easy to accomplish, and the problem would be permanently solved.

Why are easy and effective fixes so unpopular?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast