• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: American ships buck trend, sail armed

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please SUBSCRIBE to this column and DIGG and REDDIT this article!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d18-American-ships-buck-trend-sail-armed

SNIP

Only hours ago Somali pirates attacked the USS Marsk Alabama in International waters. But unlike last April, when the ship was taken captive, this time the US flagged ship "responded with small-arms fire . . . and evasive maneuvers to thwart the attack." Hard to port ye mateys! It be an American ship ahead!

Tomahawk

imported post

Hell yeah.

And bless the Mearsk Alabama's crew for having the balls to sail back through Somali waters after the pirates boasted that they would kill Americans after the SEAL shooting.

Overtaxed

imported post

I read an article about the captain of the Maersk Alabama. Shortly after returning home, the first thing he did was take a private lesson in how to properly use an AK-47.
Smart Man.

NCjones

imported post

I recommend outfitting them with 5 inch torpedoes.
When a Somali approaches and displays ill intent, turn 'em loose!
The piracy problem would be solved within 72 hours!

Tomahawk

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
I read an article about the captain of the Maersk Alabama. Shortly after returning home, the first thing he did was take a private lesson in how to properly use an AK-47.
Smart Man.
Nice. None of this "oh my gawd I need to wring my hands and pray for those a-holes who held me hostage and got brained for it" crap. No, a better strategy is to turn the ship and her crew into something pirates know to stay clear of.

Swampbeast

imported post

I am very happy for the Marsk Alabama. Hopefully more ships will arm, then the pirates will learn that ships with American flags will be off limits. Then, ships flying the European flags of thosewho dont like guns will be increased targets, knowing they are safe to take.

And how dumb are those pirates? Did they not get the message about their buddies getting sniped by navy seals last time they tried to take over the Alabama?

myHumboldtopinion

imported post

A big AMEN to that, Joe.

I actually stumbled onto the Open Carry site during my web searches regarding the East African sea piracy epidemic. I was researching maritime security which eventually led to the gun rights movement.

I'm in Solano County, between Sacramento and SF. I'm new on here, learning all I can before I attempt an UOC in my town, with my Glock 30. Want to be sure I have it totally covered since I don't really want to get arrested (since I'm considering a 2nd career in LE).

TFred

imported post

myHumboldtopinion wrote:
A big AMEN to that, Joe.

I actually stumbled onto the Open Carry site during my web searches regarding the East African sea piracy epidemic. I was researching maritime security which eventually led to the gun rights movement.

I'm in Solano County, between Sacramento and SF. I'm new on here, learning all I can before I attempt an UOC in my town, with my Glock 30. Want to be sure I have it totally covered since I don't really want to get arrested (since I'm considering a 2nd career in LE).
Welcome to OCDO. (Open Carry Dot Org). I suggest you spend some time in the California sub-forum, you will get much more helpful information there than in one of the general forums.

TFred

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hell yea. F them pirates up!
Those pirates are on tiny manuverable boats, torpedo's wouldn't be very effective.
A minigun, however, would disintegrate their ships in seconds... literally.

Privateers in a war would violate international law/agreements.
Good thing pirates don't count.

Put a price on their head.

Can you say H&K GMG or XM307?
FULL AUTO GRENADE LAUNCHERS

You don't have to have precision marine snipers if you shoot BEFORE they
have hostages.

boom.... 15 times in 5 seconds.

bohdi

imported post

Swabbing decks suck, there is no getting around it.....and it's not worth it when you can carry now and NOT swab decks. Or strip and wax them. Even if you are getting paid for it, no matter how much. I'm just saying. I might have thought twice about joining the Navy if I had known about all the extra manual labor that was included :)

Regular_Joe

imported post

This :celebrate:
Only hours ago Somali pirates attacked the USS Marsk Alabama in International waters. But unlike last April, when the ship was taken captive, this time the US flagged ship "responded with small-arms fire . . . and evasive maneuvers to thwart the attack." Hard to port ye mateys! It be an American ship ahead!

Greatly helped me to deal with this :banghead::
obama_bows_japan.jpg

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yep we need to stop trying to please the world and arm all our ships merchant or not. Is there a reason why Israeli ships are not attacked, oh yea the pirates know they are armed.

Thundar

imported post

TFred wrote:
Here's some interesting info on the subject.

Thundar, it's not about converting them to warships, it's authorizing private, commercial mariners to capture and/or kill pirates, under the authorization of the US Government.

TFred

TFRED, you are correct that Merchant Ships are allowed to defend themselves, but that is not what my comment was about. Merchant ships cannot go out patrolling the high seas looking for pirates as if they were naval vessels, though we could convert a merchant ship to a naval ship if we wanted.

Letters of Marque and Reprisal are all about privateers going out to do the work of navies, usually for personal gain. That is what the last paragraph of the gun rights examiner called for. That is exactly what we (the USA) promised not to do in the Hague Convention of 1907. The Hague Convention has the same standing in International Law as the Geneva Convention.