• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: American ships buck trend, sail armed

Tomahawk

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Greatly helped me to deal with this :banghead::
obama_bows_japan.jpg
I don't see the problem...it's just one man acknowledging his obvious inferiority to another.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I don't know if you know exactly how right you are, Tomahawk. I studied Shotokan Karate back in 1972-73 and I know that when bowing to an EQUAL as in before sparring, you keep your eyes fixed on him - NOT the FLOOR. The greeting "Sensei Ni Rei!" "We bow to the Teacher!" was accompanied by the Obama-style bow.

How ironic that the first black "President" (I can't bring myself not to use quotes) stands before the leader of a former ally of patently racist (duh!) Nazi Germany and uses a gesture that pronounces himself - and by extension America - "inferior"..

I saw this bow from a different angle and although I was disgusted then, I had no idea that it was not the usual poite bow of greeting but rather the abject expression of inferiority of a pupil or a serf or a subject. Barf-o-Rama.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Thundar wrote:
TFred wrote:
Here's some interesting info on the subject.

Thundar, it's not about converting them to warships, it's authorizing private, commercial mariners to capture and/or kill pirates, under the authorization of the US Government.

TFred

That is exactly what we (the USA) promised not to do in the Hague Convention of 1907. The Hague Convention has the same standing in International Law as the Geneva Convention.
In other words, to be crapped on by U.S. Presidents at will. :lol:

Phoenix David

imported post

I thought you were supposed to call 911 and wait for the police to arrive.

When seconds count, the US Navy is only hours away

(Note: not a dig on the US Navy)

Michigander

imported post

It seems quite simple to me. Every person on a ship should have a PDW of his or her choice. The sides of the ship should be equipped with Mk19's.

With a few days of training, this would be easy to accomplish, and the problem would be permanently solved.

Why are easy and effective fixes so unpopular?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Did anybody bother to read the 'results'? A Pirate 'captain' (Red Teeth) claims four of his people were killed and two wounded. Wounded in Somalia is death by infection most likely.

Nobody's readin' past the headlines. All this crap about exotic weaponry 'n stuff.... Get real! A couple of HK's or FAL FN's or even AR-15's in the hands of moderately competetent trigger pullers from the height of the superstructure can (and apparently did) shoot these skinnies up in their skiff(s) pretty good.

TFred

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I don't know if you know exactly how right you are, Tomahawk. I studied Shotokan Karate back in 1972-73 and I know that when bowing to an EQUAL as in before sparring, you keep your eyes fixed on him - NOT the FLOOR. The greeting "Sensei Ni Rei!" "We bow to the Teacher!" was accompanied by the Obama-style bow.

How ironic that the first black "President" (I can't bring myself not to use quotes) stands before the leader of a former ally of patently racist (duh!) Nazi Germany and uses a gesture that pronounces himself - and by extension America - "inferior"..

I saw this bow from a different angle and although I was disgusted then, I had no idea that it was not the usual poite bow of greeting but rather the abject expression of inferiority of a pupil or a serf or a subject. Barf-o-Rama.
And everybody who has ever seen the movie The Karate Kid knows that! I guess Mr. Obama didn't see it.

TFred

old dog

imported post

The really sad thing here is that such a simple and obvious response to piracy should be deemed newsworthy. This should be the norm and an American ship that was NOT armed would be notable.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
Greatly helped me to deal with this :banghead::
obama_bows_japan.jpg
I don't see the problem...it's just one man acknowledging his obvious inferiority to another.
I calmed myself down by imagining the caption: "Man requesting permission to hold OC dinner at local Japanese Restaurant."

(...and I'm hearing Grapeshot in the background: "NEVER request permission first! See!?! *This* is what happens!")

Maybe this will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6fL7Y4BZA

Dreamer

imported post

Personally, I'd rather see footage of Obama bowing to the same height as teh Japanese Prime Minister, than watch film of George Bush holding hands and kissing the Saudi Price while strolling through the Rose Garden.

Not that I have a problem with two dudes kissing, but I find that sort of "intimacy" with the representative of a racist, misogynist, sociopathic culture to be FAR more offensive than a slightly over-done bow...

OC4me

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It seems quite simple to me. Every person on a ship should have a PDW of his or her choice. The sides of the ship should be equipped with Mk19's.

With a few days of training, this would be easy to accomplish, and the problem would be permanently solved.

1. Because Greenpeace would object to the possibility of marine-life being caught in the cross-fire.

2. Paul Helmke of the Brady Bunch said on CNN that if merchant ships are armed, that the Navy might not be able to tell who the bad guys are and might torpedo the container ship by accident. (ok, he hasn't actually said this ... yet! :? )

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

And everybody who has ever seen the movie The Karate Kid knows that! I guess Mr. Obama didn't see it.

TFred
Look eye! Always look eye!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

OC4me wrote:
Michigander wrote:

1. Because Greenpeace would object to the possibility of marine-life being caught in the cross-fire.

2. Paul Helmke of the Brady Bunch said on CNN that if merchant ships are armed, that the Navy might not be able to tell who the bad guys are and might torpedo the container ship by accident. (ok, he hasn't actually said this ... yet! :? )
With regard to the enlarged and bolded portions above:

In keeping with what I saw on the tailgate of a truck I saw the other day....

"If you can't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them"
If you object to someone defending themselves then PUT YOURSELF BETWEEN THE PARTIES!!!!!

PoppaGary

imported post

And of course the U.N. was right there lambasting the arming of ships with the usual anti-gun talking pointsthat it would "encourage violence". (WTF,over!)

Like the Somali piratesare not alreadyout doing violence.

Gary

Edit: and maybe Obama just needed to bow that low to reach the hand of his Emperor. :cry:

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

My thoughts on unprovoked attacks---

To all Who stand in support of my enemy, provide sustenance to those who profess to be my enemy, or protect those who attack me...

Then my only option is to consider you my enemy!

Alexcabbie

imported post

Remember back when the antis were advising everyone to carry $20 at all times to give to a mugger so he wouldn't be ticked off?? That's the UN reccommended strategy for dealing with pirates. Just pay the ransom and nobody gets hurt.

I have been mugged while unarmed (in - where else - DC) four times in the last 30 years. Even though I had no firearm, I resisted. Once I resisted four of them into the hospital and put two on the critical list. Another guy with a knife got a brickbat fasstball to the face, followed up by a king-sized a$$whoopin that left him unconcious in an alley. Some guy tried to rob me at knifepoint in my taxi in 1977 and I accelerated to 60 and slammed on the brakes, sending him face-first into the big square hard bulky mechanical taximeter. I basically beat him unconcious and kicked him out of the cab. Literally.

In 1980 I was hitcchiking and got picked up by a carload of BGs who took me to a secluded area and put a knife to my throat. I went nuts. I got beat up pretty bad but I didnt get the worst of it, and they threw me out of the car and took off. Unfortunately, my foot got caught in the driver's seat belt and I wound up being dragged behind the car. I would be dead now had I not pushed myself up off the pavement (tearing the skin off my palms); grabbed the doorframe and used my free leg to kick the driver in the head. I then warned him that the next kick would break his goddamned neck if he didn't stop and cut me loose. He complied immediately and kept saying "yse. sir yes. sir" with his voice quavering in fear. They took off like a bat out of hell after i was loose but I managed to mark them wigh a rock through their rear window. They got caught and pled guilty to abduction and malicious wounding. I sat in the courtroom and grinned and winked at them. Punks.

"Mugger money"? ransom? Baloney. I have always believed in Jeff Cooper's rule: Resist, and there is a chance you will win. Give in, and you lose, every time. And I can tell you from experience that when a strong-arm mugger or even a pack of hoodlums suddenly realizes that they are facing not a docile sheep but an enraged madman, the shock alone gives you a trmendous advantage. Maybe you remember the old cartoon where Tweety drank the Jekyll/Hyde formula and Sylvester Cat, who was preparing a "Tweety sandwich" turned back from gettin some ketchup. was suddenly confronted with a hulking malevolent killer? The BG's reaction is something on that order. RESIST!!!

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS.

turbodog

imported post

Right before the Maersk Alabama fought off pirates another ship (I don't recall the nationality) also fought off pirates by having armed security on board. With two successes under their belts, I think more merchant ship owners will be arming their vessels in those waters no matter what others have to say about it.

What they need to do is bring back the Q ship concept as used in WWII. A beat up old freighter crewed by naval personel. It's equipted with false sides and cargo boxes that hide naval guns. Pirates show up, attack Q ship, Q ship drops disguise and blows pirates out of the water. Change the disguise of the ship once in awhile so they don't get to knowing what it is.

Kinda like a mugger so used to hitting unarmed sheep then running into an armed citizen.

hoseloader

imported post

the shooters were probably from Blackwater or Israeli. they are the only two org.s that i know of that supply shooters

kurtmax_0

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see footage of Obama bowing to the same height as teh Japanese Prime Minister, than watch film of George Bush holding hands and kissing the Saudi Price while strolling through the Rose Garden.

Not that I have a problem with two dudes kissing, but I find that sort of "intimacy" with the representative of a racist, misogynist, sociopathic culture to be FAR more offensive than a slightly over-done bow...

True, but men holding hands in middle eastern culture is very common. It's no more intimate than patting another guy on the back or something.