• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC, CCW permit

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

No; you will have to go through an NICS check to purchase long guns in SC. 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A) and 27 C.F.R. § 478.102(d)(1) provide that the NICS exemption to which your NC CHP entitles you only applies within the state in which the permit was issued, i.e., NC. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(3) and (b)(3) generally prohibit interstate handgun purchases.

GPO does not provide short permalinks to individual sections of the U.S. Code, so you will have to go here and search or browse for the applicable code sections.

hp-hobo

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
I was wondering if I come to SC can I use my ccw to purchase a firearm in the state of SC? I haven't seen any ?'s on this subject anywhere.
Your NC CCW won't make any difference in the purchase of a firearms in SC. You'll have to complete a 4473 and have it called in just like anyone off the street. Be advised, you can only purchase a long gun. Out of staters can't purchase a handgun unless they're active duty military on PCS orders and possibly another exception or two.

P.S. No, I don't have citations and I don't care. Handwringers and bedwetters, leave me alone.

Dreamer

imported post

Lonewolf,

The only way you can purchase a handgun out-of-state is to have it transferred to you through a dealer (or person) who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) in your home state.

So you could go to a store in SC, find the gun you want, and ask them if they will do a transfer to your dealer in NC. Then you'd have to contact your dealer in NC and have them FAX their FFL info to the SC dealer. Once the SC seller had the FFL info of your home-state (NC) dealer, THEN you could pay for the gun at the dealer in SC.

The SC dealer would then ship the gun to the NC dealer. The NC dealer would run your NICS check and process your BATFE Form 4473, and charge you a transfer fee (usually between $25 and $50).

Then, and only then, could you take possession of the firearm.

Long guns are different. In most states, you CAN purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) if you are not a resident, but it has to be a "face-to-face" purchase. They just run the NICS check and you fill out the 4473, and show them proof of your ID (like a drivers license), and you're good to go!

But your NC CHP doesn't mean anything in SC with regards to PURCHASING a firearm. It's only good for carrying...