Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class to obtain CHP?

Post imported post

I have had a ton of experience OCing area Northern Virginia, and i would like to obtain a CHP finally. Are there any hunter safety courses or other cheap courses available around the Fairfax area? I know the NRA range is here, but i dont feel like paying $100+. Anthing would help, thanks.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

We will be doing our Basic Firearms Safety class this weekend at the Chantilly gun show, Saturday and Sunday. Cost of the class is $60.....

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Chrisco, I don't know Proshooter and haven't even met the man, but his reputation preceeds him.
    Check out his classes online from his website (in his profile). I heard he runs a pretty tight ship and has reasonable rates.

Just my $.02 worth...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Concealed-carry.net

$40 and 2 hours of your time. All in the comfort of your own home.:celebrate

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    We will be doing our Basic Firearms Safety class this weekend at the Chantilly gun show, Saturday and Sunday. Cost of the class is $60.....

Does this mean I finally get to meet another OCDO member?

I'll probably be going to the show Sat. morning.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

I'll stop by the show Friday evening for a minutebut we'll be at the hotel location in class on Saturday and Sunday. Probably won't make it over there.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Chrisco, I don't know Proshooter and haven't even met the man, but his reputation preceeds him.
    Check out his classes online from his website (in his profile). I heard he runs a pretty tight ship and has reasonable rates.

Just my $.02 worth...
    I took Proshooter's UT permit class back in August. Excellent. First rate instruction. I now have both my VA and UT permits. Still waiting on FL at 145 days plus.

Post imported post

swinokur wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...
    I took Proshooter's UT permit class back in August. Excellent. First rate instruction. I now have both my VA and UT permits. Still waiting on FL at 145 days plus.
    Thank you swinokur!

Hope that Florida shows up soon!

James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

chrisco455 wrote:
    I have had a ton of experience OCing area Northern Virginia, and i would like to obtain a CHP finally. Are there any hunter safety courses or other cheap courses available around the Fairfax area? I know the NRA range is here, but i dont feel like paying $100+. Anthing would help, thanks.
    Not to take any business away from ProShooter or anyone else, but if you don't want to spend any money on the certification: The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) offers, at no charge, hunter education courses at various times of the year at various locations. There's also an on-line option, but I've never tried that.

I took one earlier this year as a refresher and to get some family members to go. It was two days; one day to cover course material and the second day for a review and then the test.

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
    chrisco455 wrote:
    Not to take any business away from ProShooter or anyone else, but if you don't want to spend any money on the certification: The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) offers, at no charge, hunter education courses at various times of the year at various locations. There's also an on-line option, but I've never tried that.

I took one earlier this year as a refresher and to get some family members to go. It was two days; one day to cover course material and the second day for a review and then the test.
    As virginiatuck said, a Hunter's Education class is acceptable as far as the state is concerned.

I will tell ya that I for onewon't shed a tear if the state ever decided to remove their acceptance of that. To me that's like playing Nascar Racer at the arcade and then feeling "trained enough"to take the family Suburban out on Route 95 in rush hour.

Yeah sure, some of the sameprinciples apply, but driving isnt all "drive fast, turn left".

but I digress......
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    virginiatuck wrote:
    chrisco455 wrote:

As virginiatuck said, a Hunter's Education class is acceptable as far as the state is concerned.

I will tell ya that I for onewon't shed a tear if the state ever decided to remove their acceptance of that. To me that's like playing Nascar Racer at the arcade and then feeling "trained enough"to take the family Suburban out on Route 95 in rush hour.

Yeah sure, some of the sameprinciples apply, but driving isnt all "drive fast, turn left".

but I digress......
    +1

I agree very much with what you just said. It's just like taking a CCW class and then never going target shooting after. But the nice thing about hunter's safety (last time I checked) is that it is nationally recognized. I took my hunter's safety when I was 10 years old, and AFAIK, all the states have to accept that on the CCW/CHP/whatever permits. When I moved to VA and applied for my CHP, I just showed it to them and they made a copy of it and that was that.

Post imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
    +1

I agree very much with what you just said. It's just like taking a CCW class and then never going target shooting after. But the nice thing about hunter's safety (last time I checked) is that it is nationally recognized. I took my hunter's safety when I was 10 years old, and AFAIK, all the states have to accept that on the CCW/CHP/whatever permits. When I moved to VA and applied for my CHP, I just showed it to them and they made a copy of it and that was that.
    Actually, Utah has developed their own specific curriculum. In order to get a Utah permit, you must take a course from a Utah-certified instructor, and the application must have that instructor's unique stamp to indicate that you took the course.

TFred

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    virginiatuck wrote:
    chrisco455 wrote:

but I digress......
    I wouldn't shed a tear if 18.2-308 was repealed altogether.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to training either.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I have had friends that have had great success with:

http://www.VirginiaCHPtraining.com

1 hour, 39.99 online.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I think it depends on your level of training in the first place.

If you're comfortable with a Hunter safety Class, take it.

I'm not going to plug ProShooters class but I took it even though I don't plan to get a CHP and wouldn't need the class even if I did. My wife took it and I went with her and it was very good.

I do think taking a Certified CHP class could mitigate some liability in case of a shooting, but who know.

Post imported post

Not to be cantankerous, but I take the opposing view. I took the NRA $100 two-night course. First night was spent in detailed discussion of concealed carry and its legal repercussions, really to prepare one for bad things that might happen. Second night was on the range, firing 100 rounds if I remember right. The $100 was money well spent. I'm old school I guess, I prefer to sit and learn and listen to the instructors and then demonstrate my proficiency. Your mileage may vary. In the end, I submitted a copy of my NRA CHL training certificate, along with my DD-214, to gain my CHL here in Gloucester. Afterwards, carry and practice, practice and more practice.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    I'm not going to plug ProShooters class but I took it even though I don't plan to get a CHP and wouldn't need the class even if I did. My wife took it and I went with her and it was very good.

No please, feel free to plug!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    nova wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

I'll stop by the show Friday evening for a minutebut we'll be at the hotel location in class on Saturday and Sunday. Probably won't make it over there.
    ahh oh....ok then...makes sense now why I never saw people taking a CHP class at the expo center

Post imported post

swinokur wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...
    Why Utah? Does that offer the most number of states outside the VA CHP list? What are the Utah requirements?

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    nova wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

ahh oh....ok then...makes sense now why I never saw people taking a CHP class at the expo center
    Yes, we set up at an area hotel. You can't hold a class in the expo center, no room and too noisy.

Well...there was a businessman who set up a class at the Chantilly show last year when we were teaching at the hotel. I'll call him a "businessman" because I'm sure the mods wouldnt appreciate the names I'd really like to call him. Someday, vengeance will be mine sayeth the ProShooter!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
    swinokur wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...
    Why Utah? Does that offer the most number of states outside the VA CHP list? What are the Utah requirements?
    In a nutshell, yes. In fact, I hold only a Utah permit, and I refuse to get a Virginia permit until they close the gaping crater at the Clerks of the Court offices that would leave my personal information on a CHP application wide open to nosybodies and subject to public disclosure by anyone who sees fit to do so.

Utah and Florida are recognized as the most widely accepted permits in the country, with Utah edging out Florida on total number of states accepting, last I heard. Of course, what is best for you depends entirely on where you plan to travel.

The Utah requirements are similar to Virginia, except fingerprinting is always required, not just in some areas, and the training course must be given by a Utah-certified instructor. Additionally, you must submit a passport style photo, as the permit itself is plastic with your photo embedded, similar to a driver's license.

The two most significant drawbacks to holding only a Utah permit that I have found are that the State Police does not accept an out-of-state permit as an exception to the one-handgun-per-month rule, and there is debate over whether an out-of-state permit would grant you exemption from the Federal 1000 foot Gun Free School Zone legislation. I have read that law, and I personally believe it should work, but that is certainly not clearly established, and nobody in their right mind would want to test it. There are many who believe the Fed GFSZ law would not pass constitutional muster anyway, which is why nobody is ever charged with violating it. At least not that crime by itself.

IANAL. Contrary evidence to my ramblings are always welcome.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred, I enjoy your ramblings, and present no contrary evidence. I can't remember having a contrary opinion to any of yours. I know I can be a contrary summanabish at times...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
    Check states that accept other state's permits here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Utah and New Hampshire when coupled with Va. will give you maximum coverage.

Several local instructors/schools are certified to offer this course.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Regular_Joe wrote:
    Check states that accept other state's permits here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Several local instructors/schools are certified to offer this course.

Yata hey
    The only permit Mary Land recognizes is here
    http://www.av1611.org/hell.html

Post imported post

Unfortunately, NH just raised their fee from $20 to $100. I won't be renewing mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast