• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Class to obtain CHP?

chrisco455

imported post

I have had a ton of experience OCing area Northern Virginia, and i would like to obtain a CHP finally. Are there any hunter safety courses or other cheap courses available around the Fairfax area? I know the NRA range is here, but i dont feel like paying $100+. Anthing would help, thanks.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Chrisco, I don't know Proshooter and haven't even met the man, but his reputation preceeds him.
Check out his classes online from his website (in his profile). I heard he runs a pretty tight ship and has reasonable rates.

Just my $.02 worth...

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
We will be doing our Basic Firearms Safety class this weekend at the Chantilly gun show, Saturday and Sunday. Cost of the class is $60.....
Does this mean I finally get to meet another OCDO member? :cool:

I'll probably be going to the show Sat. morning.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
We will be doing our Basic Firearms Safety class this weekend at the Chantilly gun show, Saturday and Sunday. Cost of the class is $60.....

I'll stop by the show Friday evening for a minutebut we'll be at the hotel location in class on Saturday and Sunday. Probably won't make it over there.

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Chrisco, I don't know Proshooter and haven't even met the man, but his reputation preceeds him.
Check out his classes online from his website (in his profile). I heard he runs a pretty tight ship and has reasonable rates.

Just my $.02 worth...

I took Proshooter's UT permit class back in August. Excellent. First rate instruction. I now have both my VA and UT permits. Still waiting on FL at 145 days plus.

ProShooter

imported post

swinokur wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...

I took Proshooter's UT permit class back in August. Excellent. First rate instruction. I now have both my VA and UT permits. Still waiting on FL at 145 days plus.

Thank you swinokur!

Hope that Florida shows up soon!

virginiatuck

imported post

chrisco455 wrote:
I have had a ton of experience OCing area Northern Virginia, and i would like to obtain a CHP finally. Are there any hunter safety courses or other cheap courses available around the Fairfax area? I know the NRA range is here, but i dont feel like paying $100+. Anthing would help, thanks.
Not to take any business away from ProShooter or anyone else, but if you don't want to spend any money on the certification: The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) offers, at no charge, hunter education courses at various times of the year at various locations. There's also an on-line option, but I've never tried that.

I took one earlier this year as a refresher and to get some family members to go. It was two days; one day to cover course material and the second day for a review and then the test.

ProShooter

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
chrisco455 wrote:
Not to take any business away from ProShooter or anyone else, but if you don't want to spend any money on the certification: The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) offers, at no charge, hunter education courses at various times of the year at various locations. There's also an on-line option, but I've never tried that.

I took one earlier this year as a refresher and to get some family members to go. It was two days; one day to cover course material and the second day for a review and then the test.

As virginiatuck said, a Hunter's Education class is acceptable as far as the state is concerned.

I will tell ya that I for onewon't shed a tear if the state ever decided to remove their acceptance of that. To me that's like playing Nascar Racer at the arcade and then feeling "trained enough"to take the family Suburban out on Route 95 in rush hour.

Yeah sure, some of the sameprinciples apply, but driving isnt all "drive fast, turn left". :)

but I digress......

Hendu024

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
chrisco455 wrote:

As virginiatuck said, a Hunter's Education class is acceptable as far as the state is concerned.

I will tell ya that I for onewon't shed a tear if the state ever decided to remove their acceptance of that. To me that's like playing Nascar Racer at the arcade and then feeling "trained enough"to take the family Suburban out on Route 95 in rush hour.

Yeah sure, some of the sameprinciples apply, but driving isnt all "drive fast, turn left". :)

but I digress......
+1

I agree very much with what you just said. It's just like taking a CCW class and then never going target shooting after. But the nice thing about hunter's safety (last time I checked) is that it is nationally recognized. I took my hunter's safety when I was 10 years old, and AFAIK, all the states have to accept that on the CCW/CHP/whatever permits. When I moved to VA and applied for my CHP, I just showed it to them and they made a copy of it and that was that.

TFred

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
+1

I agree very much with what you just said. It's just like taking a CCW class and then never going target shooting after. But the nice thing about hunter's safety (last time I checked) is that it is nationally recognized. I took my hunter's safety when I was 10 years old, and AFAIK, all the states have to accept that on the CCW/CHP/whatever permits. When I moved to VA and applied for my CHP, I just showed it to them and they made a copy of it and that was that.
Actually, Utah has developed their own specific curriculum. In order to get a Utah permit, you must take a course from a Utah-certified instructor, and the application must have that instructor's unique stamp to indicate that you took the course.

TFred

virginiatuck

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
chrisco455 wrote:

but I digress......
I wouldn't shed a tear if 18.2-308 was repealed altogether.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to training either.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I think it depends on your level of training in the first place.

If you're comfortable with a Hunter safety Class, take it.

I'm not going to plug ProShooters class but I took it even though I don't plan to get a CHP and wouldn't need the class even if I did. My wife took it and I went with her and it was very good.

I do think taking a Certified CHP class could mitigate some liability in case of a shooting, but who know.

apollosmom

imported post

Not to be cantankerous, but I take the opposing view. I took the NRA $100 two-night course. First night was spent in detailed discussion of concealed carry and its legal repercussions, really to prepare one for bad things that might happen. Second night was on the range, firing 100 rounds if I remember right. The $100 was money well spent. I'm old school I guess, I prefer to sit and learn and listen to the instructors and then demonstrate my proficiency. Your mileage may vary. In the end, I submitted a copy of my NRA CHL training certificate, along with my DD-214, to gain my CHL here in Gloucester. Afterwards, carry and practice, practice and more practice.

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

I'll stop by the show Friday evening for a minutebut we'll be at the hotel location in class on Saturday and Sunday. Probably won't make it over there.
ahh oh....ok then...makes sense now why I never saw people taking a CHP class at the expo center :lol:

Regular_Joe

imported post

swinokur wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...

Why Utah? Does that offer the most number of states outside the VA CHP list? What are the Utah requirements?

ProShooter

imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

ahh oh....ok then...makes sense now why I never saw people taking a CHP class at the expo center :lol:

Yes, we set up at an area hotel. You can't hold a class in the expo center, no room and too noisy.

Well...there was a businessman who set up a class at the Chantilly show last year when we were teaching at the hotel. I'll call him a "businessman" because I'm sure the mods wouldnt appreciate the names I'd really like to call him. Someday, vengeance will be mine sayeth the ProShooter! :)