• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Class to obtain CHP?

TFred

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
swinokur wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Chrisco, I don't know Proshooter and haven't even met the man, but his reputation preceeds him.
Check out his classes online from his website (in his profile). I heard he runs a pretty tight ship and has reasonable rates.

Just my $.02 worth...
I took Proshooter's UT permit class back in August. Excellent. First rate instruction. I now have both my VA and UT permits. Still waiting on FL at 145 days plus.
Why Utah? Does that offer the most number of states outside the VA CHP list? What are the Utah requirements?
In a nutshell, yes. In fact, I hold only a Utah permit, and I refuse to get a Virginia permit until they close the gaping crater at the Clerks of the Court offices that would leave my personal information on a CHP application wide open to nosybodies and subject to public disclosure by anyone who sees fit to do so.

Utah and Florida are recognized as the most widely accepted permits in the country, with Utah edging out Florida on total number of states accepting, last I heard. Of course, what is best for you depends entirely on where you plan to travel.

The Utah requirements are similar to Virginia, except fingerprinting is always required, not just in some areas, and the training course must be given by a Utah-certified instructor. Additionally, you must submit a passport style photo, as the permit itself is plastic with your photo embedded, similar to a driver's license.

The two most significant drawbacks to holding only a Utah permit that I have found are that the State Police does not accept an out-of-state permit as an exception to the one-handgun-per-month rule, and there is debate over whether an out-of-state permit would grant you exemption from the Federal 1000 foot Gun Free School Zone legislation. I have read that law, and I personally believe it should work, but that is certainly not clearly established, and nobody in their right mind would want to test it. There are many who believe the Fed GFSZ law would not pass constitutional muster anyway, which is why nobody is ever charged with violating it. At least not that crime by itself.

IANAL. Contrary evidence to my ramblings are always welcome. :)

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred, I enjoy your ramblings, and present no contrary evidence. I can't remember having a contrary opinion to any of yours. I know I can be a contrary summanabish at times... :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Why Utah? Does that offer the most number of states outside the VA CHP list? What are the Utah requirements?
Check states that accept other state's permits here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Utah and New Hampshire when coupled with Va. will give you maximum coverage.

Several local instructors/schools are certified to offer this course.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

Yata hey
The only permit Mary Land recognizes is here
http://www.av1611.org/hell.html

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

Yata hey
you mean to say they only recognize their own permit? :lol::lol:

Dreamer

imported post

I have a friend who lives in Fairfax, and she's interested in getting her VA CHP. She was previously in the Air Force, and qualified "expert" on both the M-16 and the M9 pistol. CAn she submit copies of her DD-214 and firearms certification papers in lieu of taking a CHP-specific course?

I've been to the range with her, and she's very competent with a Beretta, and pretty good with my 1911. We've been discussing CC in VA for a few months, and she's already looked into the laws, and has a good understanding of her rights and obligations.

I've looked at the VA State Police, and if I'm reading it right, she CAN use her DD-214 in lieu of a CC class certificate, but I'm not really clear on it. Can someone enlighten me?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I have a friend who lives in Fairfax, and she's interested in getting her VA CHP. She was previously in the Air Force, and qualified "expert" on both the M-16 and the M9 pistol. CAn she submit copies of her DD-214 and firearms certification papers in lieu of taking a CHP-specific course?

I've been to the range with her, and she's very competent with a Beretta, and pretty good with my 1911. We've been discussing CC in VA for a few months, and she's already looked into the laws, and has a good understanding of her rights and obligations.

I've looked at the VA State Police, and if I'm reading it right, she CAN use her DD-214 in lieu of a CC class certificate, but I'm not really clear on it. Can someone enlighten me?

Dreamer

Your friends DD-214 is all she needs. No need for the firearms certification papers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

Yata hey
you mean to say they only recognize their own permit? :lol::lol:
I doubt that many would recognize a Md. permit. I've heard rumors of such but only ever seen one. :?

Yata hey

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Dreamer:

To add-on to Wolf's post ...

The DD-214 must show discharge characterization as "honorable." (i.e. don't submit a copy of the "short-form" DD-214)

Also, she should obscure her SSN on the DD-214 copy she provides; and not provide her SSN on the VA form (SP-248) at all.

Apparently, these CHP applications become publically available court records. :(