• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I have to tell cop i have a gun on me?

Leader

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
since9 wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
Some states you have to by law...other states you do not.

Nevada is one of those states where it is NOT required.

Same for Colorado. However, if asked, you must answer truthfully!
Please post the citation of the statute to back your statement up. Thems the rules around here. :)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

rules rules lol J/K...

click on a state look at top of page has the info for EVERY STATE no wi not ill lol~ go figger
The issue is that Mr./Mrs./Ms. Since9 never came back with any support for his statement, and, therefore, such statement is considered B.S. until he can back it up.

And there is something preventing you from looking it up yourself?

The link to all the state laws was given to you along with directions on how to accesss the info.

And untill you can provide proof that his statement iswrong , your statement is nothing but B.S.

tedwitt

imported post

OK Children, lets play well together. I clicked on the website provided and I thought it was very helpful. Quite a few states recognize Texas.

Yard Sale

imported post

Unless you wantsomething like this to happen to you, S T F U.

All you are doing is inviting them to point their guns at you, and if you survive that, disarm you, search you, and seize your property.

As a fellow Nevada resident, I will relate this story from a rookie police offer fired after this incident. At a traffic stop, after the check for wants & warrants came back with nothing, the detained drivervolunteered to the officer he had a concealed firearmpermit and a gun in the car. The rookie said thanks, no problem, and later sent him on his way. His training officer wrote him up for not following the department policy of drawing his gun on the driver. And with that justification he was later fired.

vegasche1023

imported post

Yard Sale wrote:
Unless you want something like this to happen to you, S T F U.

All you are doing is inviting them to point their guns at you, and if you survive that, disarm you, search you, and seize your property.

As a fellow Nevada resident, I will relate this story from a rookie police offer fired after this incident. At a traffic stop, after the check for wants & warrants came back with nothing, the detained driver volunteered to the officer he had a concealed firearm permit and a gun in the car. The rookie said thanks, no problem, and later sent him on his way. His training officer wrote him up for not following the department policy of drawing his gun on the driver. And with that justification he was later fired.

You're kidding right?? the rookie was fired for NOT violating the law abiding citizens rights??

cscitney87

imported post

According to state law: I agree with the sentiment of keeping your documents separate from your pistol. The pistol never becomes an issue in a traffic stop.

When you know things are going South the officer asks "Are there any drugs, guns, knives, or other contraband in your vehicle, Son?"

"Yes, Sir. I keep a pistol in my glove box for self defense." Personally that would be my answer to that question. No reason to lie- laws or not. I wouldn't lie to this officer. Respect is a two way street.

Yard Sale

imported post

"Are there any drugs, guns, knives, or other contraband in your vehicle, Son?"

"Yes, Sir. I keep a pistol in my glove box for self defense."

Later, in court...

Officer : "I asked him if there were any drugs or other contraband in his vehicle."

District Attorney: "And what did the defendant say?"

Officer: "He said, 'Yes.' So that gave me probable cause tosearch his vehicle, whereI found this evidence."

People like you whoparticipate in your own prosecutionhelp the state erode our rights.

cscitney87

imported post

Pfft that's rediculous. I said I have a pistol in my glove box for self defense. Which is positively affirming, to the officer, that there is a gun in the vehicle- which he asked.

It's true I said "Yes, Sir." It's also true that I said I have a pistol for self defense immediately following.

You'd have to be a... well You.. to take the statement out of context and try to prosecute someone with it. lol what a laugh.

Officers ask multiple questions wrapped up into One question. He asked about guns, knives, drugs, etc all in One Question. I said Yes Sir and following with affirmation that the Yes Sir refers to a pistol which would be a gun which would be included in his question which would be the question I answer. I didn't say Yes Sir and stop. I didn't say Yes Sir and follow up with knives or drugs. I said Yes Sir and said I have my pistol in my glove box. Because he asked. If I didn't answer truthfully- I wouldn't be truthful. I'm a truthful guy. Get a grip.

Again, Respect is a two way street. If I'm guilty of eroding your rights via the state for this- whatever.

cscitney87

imported post

Lmao you're acting like I should say "No." to the question... Which is the only alternative to Yes or being Silent. Saying Yes, I would. Staying Silent won't help my situation. Saying No would be lying. :cool:

Do you suggest I request the officer ask me another question, without the knives and drugs and contraband part? lol lol Then explain it's the only way I can answer?

I'm not helping anyone take away you're rights, YardSale. This is just a casual conversation about a "What If" scenario anyway.. not big deal one way or another at the moment. To each his own.

Yard Sale

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Lmao you're acting like I should say "No." to the question...   Which is the only alternative to Yes or being Silent.  Saying Yes, I would.  Staying Silent won't help my situation.  Saying No would be lying.  :cool:
No, I specifically wrote "S T F U" above. Do I need to write out the words? Lying can get you into a heap of trouble. There are other options besides Yes, No, and silence. People on this forum have some great responses to questions they don't have to answer.

You think you can help your situation by talking? That kind of thinking can get you ground up and spit out by the system. Watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

cscitney87

imported post

You know what you're right. I'm wrong, YardSale. My bad. You are completely right I'm sorry. I'll just "S T F U" next time. Thanks man I really appreciate your help. Next time I am stopped and asked if there is a pistol in my car I will follow your advice and

Either "S T F U" or I'll simply -have some great responses to questions I don't have to answer.-

Well friends, I'm glad that's settled. Next.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

Yard Sale wrote:
"Are there any drugs, guns, knives, or other contraband in your vehicle, Son?"

"Yes, Sir. I keep a pistol in my glove box for self defense."

Later, in court...

Officer : "I asked him if there were any drugs or other contraband in his vehicle."

District Attorney: "And what did the defendant say?"

Officer: "He said, 'Yes.' So that gave me probable cause tosearch his vehicle, whereI found this evidence."

People like you whoparticipate in your own prosecutionhelp the state erode our rights.
Are you kidding me?

Chances are If the person being detained had a gun, a CCw more than likley would not have drugs or other contraband.

i have to think most CCW permit holders are all about upholding the law and our freedom so i personally think this is being dogmatic and hold no water.

Yes, when a LEO asks you "THAT QUESTION" you know you did something to trigger his question.

As long as you follow the law for notification per state law about having a CCW and a weapon on or in you or your car at the time of the stop then this is a moot point.

www.handgunlaw.us

cruzn82

imported post

handgunlaw.us has a similar map as opencarry.org. At the top of each states page it says whether you have to inform the cop if you have a gun. Go to that site and click onyour state . As in your case in Nevada, according to this site, the answer is no.

frenchdl

imported post

I'm going to have to agree with yardsale here in that if a LEO starts asking all kinds of questions of that nature you should not answer them. It is most likely never going to benefit you to answer questions like that although sometimes it does not hurt, it will seriously never be in your benefit.

You can really just say that you dont have to/prefer not to answer that question and that you dont consent to a search of your vehicle. Thats really how simple it is. Of course in reality it will be a much sloppier exchange, that is still the basic jist of what I think people should say. In all actuality this will probably just piss the officer off and he will ask you to step out of the vehicle and when you do make sure you roll up your windows and shut and lock your door, and again do not consent to any searches of your vehicle or your person.

And to those who think that "I have nothing to hide" and thats its ok to submit to a search, you should seriously do some research on the matter. That youtube video yardsale posted is a pretty good start. Not to mention, when is that last time you cleaned your car? Do you let your kids or their friends ride in/borrow the car that could have left something in there to get you in trouble? You can never be to careful in regards to looking out for your rights is really all I'm trying to say. Don't think that LEO are not looking to get you for as much stuff as possible, or that they are your friend. There job is to catch and help prosecute what the state deems criminals, they are "on the hunt" so to speak and to think other wise is foolish.

Of course none of the above applies if you reside in a state where you must inform LEO of the presence of a firearm so if you do disregard what I've said.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

You stated it quite well. The video is pretty good also. I will not give consent to search my vehicle.

Talk to police officers that you know about this. I know a number quite well, and they all say that the vast majority of the people that they ticket, arrest, or charge with some sort of violation, talk themselves into the arrest. "Do not give consent to search your vehicle".

Yard Sale

imported post

frenchdl wrote:
step out of the vehicle and when you do make sure you roll up your windows and shut and lock your door, and again do not consent to any searches of your vehicle or your person.
Based on my recent experience, this is good practice. I did all that but I neglected to fully roll up my window (which was down an inch or two to hand over my papers previously) before exiting my locked vehicle. While I was out they could have planted a little baggy through the window while they were shining flashlights looking for items in plain view.

Before this I thought it was a little far-fetched that a police officer would do something like plant evidence. However I witnessed a supervisor manufacture evidence that evening, and if one falsifiedevidence where none existsthen all must be assumed capable of placing evidence where none exists.

cscitney87

imported post

I was in Michigan with my Colorado vehicle and license-

Was stopped for loud music and later asked to get out of the car.

I rolled up the windows and locked the door- with my friend in the passenger seat. My windows are slightly tinted- within Colorado law (not sure about Michigan).

The officer FREAKED OUT bad and after I rejected consent to search- he searched me- got my keys out of my pocket and opened my car- searched it- found Nothing of course. Obstructing Justice is such a blanket charge.

He had K-9 come with the SUV- Searched it- found nothing. Had my vehicle impounded. Went to the department (Sterling Heights Police Department) and spoke with supervisor after supervisor. Illegal search and illegal impound- cost me over 200 to get my car back next day.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:

I rolled up the windows and locked the door- with my friend in the passenger seat. My windows are slightly tinted- within Colorado law (not sure about Michigan).

The officer FREAKED OUT bad and after I rejected consent to search- he searched me- got my keys out of my pocket and opened my car- searched it- found Nothing of course. Obstructing Justice is such a blanket charge.

He had K-9 come with the SUV- Searched it- found nothing. Had my vehicle impounded. Went to the department (Sterling Heights Police Department) and spoke with supervisor after supervisor. Illegal search and illegal impound- cost me over 200 to get my car back next day.
From your story, it would appear that you would have a case against not only his department, but him as well. This action by a police officer is exceeding his authority under color of law and would enable you to sue him. Go for it. Make sure he never sees a badge on his person again .

frenchdl

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

I rolled up the windows and locked the door- with my friend in the passenger seat.  My windows are slightly tinted- within Colorado law (not sure about Michigan).

The officer FREAKED OUT bad and after I rejected consent to search- he searched me- got my keys out of my pocket and opened my car- searched it- found Nothing of course.  Obstructing Justice is such a blanket charge.

He had K-9 come with the SUV- Searched it- found nothing.  Had my vehicle impounded.  Went to the department (Sterling Heights Police Department) and spoke with supervisor after supervisor.  Illegal search and illegal impound-  cost me over 200 to get my car back next day.
From your story, it would appear that you would have a case against not only his department, but him as well. This action by a police officer is exceeding his authority under color of law and would enable you to sue him. Go for it. Make sure he never sees a badge on his person again .

Yea you should definitely look into that. That is completely out of line, and even hearing of things like this makes my blood boil.