• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about Pleading for a 1911 for graduation

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Graduating from a long and illustrious undergraduate career at Virginia Tech next month and I'm hoping for a 1911 as a parting gift from the folks who raised me and are quickly kicking me to the curb.

Don't know much about them except that every model I find that I think looks pretty, comes with a bill I wouldn't dare ask my parents to foot...

I'd like a full size, full frame, single stack .45acp. I'd like something that is worth owning forever, capable of potentially handling a .45 Super conversion at some point, all without creeping up on that $1K+ mark too much (the cheaper the better). I'd like it to be pretty (for OC) but durable (for taking hunting). A light rail would be nice (but not necessary); same for night sights.

Essentially would like a good platform to start a 1911 on that won't break the bank since I should really be giving them a gift. (My mom keeps asking me what I want for graduation, so I've got to give her something or I'll end up with who knows what...)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27388

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/32588

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36420

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43757

I can't find any with night sights in the price range that you are talking about. I'm sure there are some, but not where I am looking. Hope this helps

For what you are describing, stainless would probably be the way to go IMO.:)

Dreamer

imported post

Look at the Para Ordnance "GI Expert". It's a copy of the standard-issue 1911 single stack Government model, but it's made by Para, so it's going to have a great trigger, reliable operation, and be built like a tank. The MSRP is $600, but you can often find them less than that.

The Para GI Expert is a no-frills, no-nonsense, back-to-basics M1911 Series 80. It isn't pretty. It isn't loaded with all sorts of "tacti-cool" options. It's a pistol, and by all accounts, a darn good one. For the price, you'll have a LOT of pocket money left over if you want to add custom stuff like sights, custom trigger, spiffy grips, lights, lasers, etc.

For less than $200 more, you could send it off to Novak's and have them custom-install a set of their low-profile night sights on it--and they INVENTED the low-profile night sight so you know they would do a good job.

As a Para owner, and a VERY satisfied Novak's customer, I can unhesitatingly recommend both...

Check it out:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=13

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_reviews.php?id=73

http://www.novaksights.com/

simmonsjoe

imported post

"I want it all for cheap"

"I want it to look pretty for OC"

"I want to take it hunting"

Unfortunately some things that make a pistol good for one thing are bad for another. points to follow.

CARRY GUNS | HUNTING GUNS
sights: Fixed, low profile, 3-dot | Adjustable, black-on-black
or similar, for speed | box, or scope, for accuracy
Size: Typically 4.25"-5" tops. | minimum 5"-10", very heavy
lighter barrel / frame conf. | barrels / frames (even weights)
Ammo: Tuned for lighter ammo | Heavy soft nose bullets, very
of JHP/DPX type allowing | high recoil, requiring bullet rise
fast followup shots and |compensation by shooter calc.
flatter rises. |or mechanical means dangerous
| to bystanders.
Finish: varies greatly, combination|STAINLESS STEEL because its
include chrome, blueing | going to get Fu(ked up in the
parkerizing etc. | woods.
Fit: loose, for reliability | tight, for accuracy

Unlike other pistol designs, the 1911 has fitted parts. frame/slide and frame/slide/barrel are all fitted by a gunsmith. Even so called "drop in parts" typically aren't. and because of the FIT requirements for a carry piece vs. a hunting piece, it just isn't possible to swap uppers without alot of gunsmith work called peening to your longslide. this weakens the metal and is frowned upon.

If you really REALLY want one-gun-that-can-do-it-all then you need an EAA Witness (Tanfoglio clone) The barrel luckup design is totally different than a 1911 and you can swap slides AND CALIBERS all day long and get better accuracy than most carry 1911s, even some target 1911s.

If you want a 5" 1911 though, I would recommend the Taurus PT1911. you can get it blued, stainless, or aluminum with or without a rail. This gun is good to go from the manufacturer for $600 dollars. Any other 1911 in that price range is a base model meant for modification. The taurus has checkering, forward slide serrations etc. already. And since you don't want to fu(k up your pretty carry gun in the forest buy a Taurus .357 or .44mag stainless for $350-$400 dollars. Now your still around $1k

Not trying to bust you down or anything. I love my 1911. Just trying to bring some realism to the conversation.
and yes I'm a Taurus fanboy

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Taurus' are reliable and inexpensive but have pretty rough trigger jobs. They're also the best buy if you're trying to save $.

I've been a 1911 fan for MANY years... Since I carried one in the military in the early 80's until we switched to the Beretta 92 in 1988. The sights on a military-issue 1911 were pretty hard to see even for a youngster.

I shot match-grade 1911s in competition from 1987 until my last match in 1994. I had my own 1911 built in 1990. It was so tight it had to be lubricated every 5 rounds during a match, but it would shoot a 1/2" group at the 50 yard line.
You don't find very many M.O.A. PISTOLS around...

When I started looking for a carry gun, I did NOT want a 1911 because I wanted to carry more than 7 rounds. I got a Ruger P90 for a concealed gun when I was stationed in Texas. Itis heavy, ugly and clunky but very reliable. It is also VERY affordable.Carrying that aroundconcealed may have been a contributing factor in my current medical condition: MY back is pretty well hosed.

Upon retirement from military service, I decided it was time for another carry gun. Still being a .45ACP fan, I got an H&K USP45... Not a 1911. Shoots great, heavy gun, very accurate, but has a prettybig pricetag.

I've recently come full circle: I invested in the prettiest gun I've ever owned. A Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. It has a match-grade trigger job and beautiful Rosewood grips (with a funny "hump" that has a laser enclosed). Aluminum frame and blued slide. When I first saw the grips, I was almost positive they were plastic.
I also got it for under $1,000 (barely). You may be able to find one around for that price, but you'll have to look.

Lots of posts here in support of many fine pistols. If you'd like to shoot my Kimber or my USP 45, semd me a PM and we'll go 'shootin'. I only speak about those I know about. Old Colt 1911's are rugged & reliable but won't win any beauty contests. The Kimber looks great, but its a carry gun to me and I don't keep it behind glass in a museum. Its on my hip more than the H&K ever has been because of its size and weight.

I'm sure other Brothers and Sisters here would be willing to let you shoot their pistols, too. Good luck in your search!

Semper Paratus

foxcall

imported post

Hey I'm graduating from tech in december too, congrats!

Anyways, if you want a more "semi-custom" 1911 try looking at STI spartans or trojans. Spartans have an msrp of about $650 so shop around. Trojans, I've been told, are much better but they run a little over 1K.

Some decent pistols for a good price, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Marco

imported post

My $.02, consider getting a 1911 in 10mm a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 (pictured )would be my first choice, a simple barrel swap you can shot inexpensive 40SW through the same gun. (Learn toreload regardless of your caliber of choice).

They also make guns in 45acp.

17997.jpg

If your stuck on getting a 1911 in 45ACP.
The Sig XO is a quality gun at an affordable$, as are Dan Wesson, Para's, Springfield's and Taurus's.
The MIM parts in the Taurus may not stand up to the abuse of 45Super loads even with heavier springs and shok-buffs.

ETA:
Another gun to consider is Coonan Model B (it is 1911 variant) this gun is chambered in .357 mag they can be found on auction sites for <$1500 with several mags.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146574339

I have no dog in this fight!

essayons

imported post

LOL 7 posts and 7 different suggestions.

The moral of this is that the overall quality of 1911s has risen so much in recent years that a 1911 by any well-known manufacturer is a solid reliable gun.

I prefer Springfield 1911s, they have many different models with a wide range of features and finishes, and IMO are the best value in 1911s. My shooting buddies have Kimbers, so I have shot them extensively. In a side by side comparison, I much prefer the Springfield, and the fact that it is a few hundred bucks cheaper is just a bonus.

All that being said, I recently acquired a Rock Island Armory, probably the bottom of the barrel in the 1911 market, and I absolutely love it. I bought the gun mainly to tinker with, but it has become my favorite 1911 to shoot.

When I buy a 4th 1911, it will be a double-stack STI in .40 :D

Really just pick the gun you want based on features and finish. Quality is a given at this point from any major 1911 manufacturer.

essayons

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
When I started looking for a carry gun, I did NOT want a 1911 because I wanted to carry more than 7 rounds. 

You are really dating yourself with that statement. :D

Para, STI, and others have solved that problem.

45acpForMe

imported post

Check out this thread. I just bought two 1911's and are happy with them both.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/31976.html

If you have never owned one, I will say that they are a pain to breakdown/reassemblebut fairly accurate. My Springfield needed a hex wrench to break down until I ordered a shorter guide-rod and spring-cap from Colt. Now both my 1911's can be broken down without any tools. Also cleaning them takes more time since there are so many parts. It takes me about 10 minutes to clean my 1911 and 2 minutes to clean my Sig P220.

The 5" barrel is harder to CC and it usually sticks out an inch or so beyond my Tshirt. I wanted the longer barrel for accuracy and I have other guns I CC.

maverick2694

imported post

Check into the Rock Island Armory Tactical series. They run $450-500 and I have yet to see a bad review. I just got a USP .40C, but as soon as the wife gives the OK, I'm getting the RIA Tactical.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

essayons wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
When I started looking for a carry gun, I did NOT want a 1911 because I wanted to carry more than 7 rounds.

You are really dating yourself with that statement. :D

Para, STI, and others have solved that problem.
You're right. I'm an old-fashioned 1911 guy from way back. I think Para ordnance had their double stack coming out back then, but it wasn't very popular because of the size of thereceiver. I carried a 1911 in a black, well-polished LEATHER"Sam Browne" belt back then, too. ;)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Well thanks for all the replies...now whether or not I have less choices now or more choices, I'm not sure. :lol:

A few thoughts generated from y'alls advice:

I currently own a Taurus and have been plenty pleased with it, and I hadn't even thought of the Taurus 1911's.

As for hunting, I usually carry while I hunt just because it is habit to carry a handgun for me, but lately my holster is in the way of my *cough* fanny pack *cough* and I'd prefer to just get the 1911 and buy a cheap leg rig for the woods...if it is accurate enough/packs enough wallop, I'd love to try to fill a doe tag or two with it, but I more just meant to say I don't want something that I should be really afraid of scratching or getting a dirty.

I don't really intend to conceal it too often, but if I do decide to, unless I'm REALLY trying to hide the gun for some compelling reason, my normal mode of concealed carry could probably be better classified as "subtle open carry" since I really don't give a rats rear end about printing or my shirt getting hung up on it. If someone makes a comment, I can just switch to OC. Point I'm driving at is that I want a 5" barrel...CC concerns don't really worry me.

I currently primarily carry a 6+1 .45, so capacity doesn't concern me. I hope I don't regret my way of thinking, but I figure if 6+1 of .45ACP can't solve my problems then I'm probably too far up sh!t creek to really be worrying about wasting ammo anyway...so not really interested in any double stack guns.

No full polished guns for me, thanks...maybe two tone...

Question: Are all new 1911's of the same design? Are there any that are simpler than others internally, etc? For example do any have extra safeties that others don't?

Thanks.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

All 1911's are NOT "created equal".

Series 70 is what most of us think of when talking about match guns. Their inner workings are easier to polish and accurize than Series 80 or later.

There are a LOT of differences between 1911's. Being old-fashioned, I like Series 70s. They are the most simple design and can be easily DETAIL stripped for easy cleaning and examination.

I honestly don't know much about later models. I know some of them have trigger bars, safety plungers and other odds and ends. I tried to take my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II apart like I did my old match gun. Can't do it.

I followed the directions and needed a silly little "tool" just to get the slide off :cuss::banghead::uhoh:

I tried to remove the firing pin the way I did with my old match gun. Can't do it.

If you want simple (the way John Moses Browning intended it to be)find a Series 70...

Just my $.02 worth...

essayons

imported post

Not sure about others, but modern production Springfield 1911s are similar to Series 70 Colts. Very easy to take down.

tcmech

imported post

Congratulations on graduating from college. I think it is a lot easier to find a good 1911 handgun than ever before. I also think that since you are graduating you should take your degree, get ajob, and buy a matching set for the people who have spent the most to make sure you could go to college. Sequential serial numbers would be nice. I am sure that they would also appreciate custom grips, engraving, etc.

Sigs, Dan Wesson, STI, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, or Springfield would all be good choices for you to go look for.

Remember, matched set, one for Mom, one for Dad.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I love my Kimbers but, they are a little expensive. Consider getting one with an aluminum frame. If you are carrying something that feels like a cinder block on you hip you probably won't carry it much.

I shoot a fellow's full size kimber with an aluminum frame Saturday night. It was light but easy to shoot and accurate. It was just the basic pistol not one of the high dollar models.

And what ever brand of 1911 you get make sure you get good quality mags, ie. Chip McCormick or Wilson mags. Cheap magazines cause alot o problems associated with 1911's.