• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about Pleading for a 1911 for graduation

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I followed the directions and needed a silly little "tool" just to get the slide off
Love my Kimber Ultra Carry II.. It is part of my EDC. YOu don't need the tool either.

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/cSo1Y9QVJ8E&hl=en_US&fs=1[/flash]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I haven't seen the Rock Island mentioned (though I only skimmed).

Out of the box, mine shot a 3" group at 10 yards.

It's nothing fancy. It's simply a 1911. Smooth and inexpensive (mine was $400 out the door about 2 years ago -- granted, before the Nov08 rise in prices).

As you get older, and have the discretionary income, perhaps, at some point, to add various guns for various purposes, you'll be able to get "pretty" or "match grade" or whatever you want.

For a good, solid purchase, take a look at the Rock Island Armory 1911.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
I haven't seen the Rock Island mentioned (though I only skimmed).

Out of the box, mine shot a 3" group at 10 yards.

It's nothing fancy. It's simply a 1911. Smooth and inexpensive (mine was $400 out the door about 2 years ago -- granted, before the Nov08 rise in prices).

As you get older, and have the discretionary income, perhaps, at some point, to add various guns for various purposes, you'll be able to get "pretty" or "match grade" or whatever you want.

For a good, solid purchase, take a look at the Rock Island Armory 1911.
Tess has spoken truly and without fault. :)

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ed wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
I followed the directions and needed a silly little "tool" just to get the slide off
Love my Kimber Ultra Carry II.. It is part of my EDC. YOu don't need the tool either.
Ed, I tried this when I first got it. I didn't read the directions because I was "an old 1911 guy" and tried to take it apart like a 1911 by removing the slide stop. I couldn't get the recoil spring out because it has a cap at the end rather than an open spring like the UC II shown. Mine is also a UC II, but does it make a difference if it is a "Ultra Crimson Carry II"??? Mine was built in the beginning of NOV, 2009. I think they changed the recoil spring assy' because it isn't "open" at one end like the one in this video.

Thanks for the input, though... I did find another "tool" online that looks like a brass "bushing" and makes it easier to compress the spring for disassembly.

mike

builtjeep

imported post

I just bought a Rock Island compact tactical, 3.5" barrell, all the bells and wistles. For $435 off gunbroker, this thing has a MUCH better trigger than my SA mil-spec, and is more accurate as well. only put about 50 through it so far, but not one hiccup with ball or hollow points.

OakRidgeStars

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I love my Kimbers but, they are a little expensive. Consider getting one with an aluminum frame. If you are carrying something that feels like a cinder block on you hip you probably won't carry it much.
My Kimber Pro Carry II HD is starting to get a bit heavy. I would love to have a 3" CDP or similar 1911 for daily carry.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've been carrying my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II every day since I got it a few weeks ago. Its light (25 oz, according to specs), but a bit heavier with 7 round mag and 2 spare mags... Its still a LOT smaller and lighter than my old carry gun, an H&K USP 45.

The trigger job on the Kimber is much nicer and itsjust as accurate as the H&K at 25 yards. Where the laser was when gun goes boom is where the hole appears... Gotta love it! I'm getting kinda old for these tired eyes to acquire iron sights anymore. I still use "irons" at the range, but they've gotten fuzzy from old age and diabetes. Time to finally get glasses. :(

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

tcmech wrote:
Congratulations on graduating from college. I think it is a lot easier to find a good 1911 handgun than ever before. I also think that since you are graduating you should take your degree, get ajob, and buy a matching set for the people who have spent the most to make sure you could go to college. Sequential serial numbers would be nice. I am sure that they would also appreciate custom grips, engraving, etc.

Sigs, Dan Wesson, STI, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, or Springfield would all be good choices for you to go look for.

Remember, matched set, one for Mom, one for Dad.
To my knowledge my mother has never fired a gun and my dad is about as anti-gun as they come without going so far as keeping me from owning guns when I lived with him.

I think they'd appreciate it if I didn't buy them guns :lol:

I've looked around a lot the past few days.

I haven't handled an Taurus with an aluminum frame yet, but that's what had caught my eye from this thread.

Did handle a Dan Wesson 10mm "Razorback" that I really liked the feel of.

Handled a 1945, carried in WWII 1911 that was one of the cooler guns I'd held in a while...couldn't swing the $2K+ on it though...

Still in the deciding mode, but at this point its sort of between a Dan Wesson 10mm and a Taurus ALR. Thinking Dan Wesson for the simple fact that I can get a holster off the shelf for it. That said, if I went to a gun shop and something else jumped out at me, I'd be all over it.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Taurus ALR is a 1911 and it will fit any holster designed to accommodate a 5" 1911.
All 1911's regardless of manufacture will fit in each others holsters. (barring rails on the dustcover)
ALR has a rail, which is wider than most manufacturers. In reading online and talking to gun shops (two of them were aware of this) it won't fit in a holster meant for other 1911's with rails.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

When I was looking for a 1911 holster at Bass Pro for my "Baby Kimber", I just brought the gun with me (CC'd in pocket) without a round in the chamber. I removed the magazine while it was still concealed, then brought the pistol out.

Had a few :what:from customers that were nearby when I brought it out and a couple more when I opened the SERPA container to see if it fit in a standard 1911 holster. It did. Thanks to craig and a couple others, I brought it home and did some precise measurements and then took a hacksaw to the bottom of it, then some heat to clean up the edges. Now it looks like it was MADE for the Kimber! :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
When I was looking for a 1911 holster at Bass Pro for my "Baby Kimber", I just brought the gun with me (CC'd in pocket) without a round in the chamber. I removed the magazine while it was still concealed, then brought the pistol out.

Had a few :what:from customers that were nearby when I brought it out and a couple more when I opened the SERPA container to see if it fit in a standard 1911 holster. It did. Thanks to craig and a couple others, I brought it home and did some precise measurements and then took a hacksaw to the bottom of it, then some heat to clean up the edges. Now it looks like it was MADE for the Kimber! :D
Not SAR, but SMR = some modification required, in your case. Good show.

I carry both a commander and full size 1911 in my Serpas - not at the same time. :)

Of course it looks right either way because the exposed portion/grip is the same.

Yata hey

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Ended up taking my graduation money and getting myself a Christmas present today in the form of a Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm. She's purdy. Unfortunately they were plumb out of 10mm ammo, so its a darn good looking paper weight for now.

Buddy is supposedly getting a reloading press come heck or high water in the next few days, so if someone has a good website to learn the basics (or even better is in the Hampton Roads area and wants to play show and tell), feel free to spread the knowledge.

As for the 1911, one last question: I normally OC in a holster with a thumb strap...can I carry locked/cocked with a thumbstrap holster? If not what are my choices for retention w/out going to a plastic holster? I've got the Summer Comfort from Galco since that's what they had in stock and it seemed like it would suit me for the occasional IWB carry, but I didn't see anything that tickled my fancy in OWB, plus I'm confused on the thumbstrap/hammer interaction...so I defer to y'all.

Merry Christmas!

builtjeep

imported post

I carry the same way, Galco makes a nice leather holster with thumb break. Mine is their COP Series, I also have one made by Masters. It's not as nice as the galco, leather isn't as stiff, but it's still a nice holster that I wear often.

Steve B

imported post

builtjeep wrote:
I just bought a Rock Island compact tactical, 3.5" barrell, all the bells and wistles. For $435 off gunbroker, this thing has a MUCH better trigger than my SA mil-spec, and is more accurate as well. only put about 50 through it so far, but not one hiccup with ball or hollow points.
I have had my RIA compact just over two years. After a couple of boxes of ammo, started failing to feed at ramp---polished feed ramp, no more problems.

simmonsjoe

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Ended up taking my graduation money and getting myself a Christmas present today in the form of a Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm. She's purdy. Unfortunately they were plumb out of 10mm ammo, so its a darn good looking paper weight for now.

Buddy is supposedly getting a reloading press come heck or high water in the next few days, so if someone has a good website to learn the basics (or even better is in the Hampton Roads area and wants to play show and tell), feel free to spread the knowledge.

As for the 1911, one last question: I normally OC in a holster with a thumb strap...can I carry locked/cocked with a thumbstrap holster? If not what are my choices for retention w/out going to a plastic holster? I've got the Summer Comfort from Galco since that's what they had in stock and it seemed like it would suit me for the occasional IWB carry, but I didn't see anything that tickled my fancy in OWB, plus I'm confused on the thumbstrap/hammer interaction...so I defer to y'all.

Merry Christmas!
Galco is shat.
most thumb break holster can interfere with the safety ESPECIALLY if you have an ambi. many holsters, in an attempt to fix this, strap beneath the beavertail. I think this is a NO-NO. Some people are OK with it.
If you use a thumb break, it should rest over the back of the slide, BETWEEN the hammer and the slide. DO NOT PUT THE HAMMER DOWN. 1911's must be carried with the hammer back. (I recommend this even if carrying without a round in the cylinder.)
I believe your Dan Wesson is a series 70, so Condition 2 is UNSAFE, PERIOD. Do NOT try and lower the hammer on a loaded chamber EVER. (Most agree it is a bad habit even on a Series 80, in case I'm wrong, so still don't do it.)
When you get a little more experienced, and think about handling a 1911 more, you will probably come to believe Condition 1 (round in chamber, cocked and locked) is the safest mode of carry.
For OWB open carry I would recommend a Safariland(expensive) or Blackhawk(better for thumb safety) holster with Level II retention.
For IWB CC I would recommend a Comp-Tac Minotaur or C.T.A.C. holster. (or similar) Just make sure if you IWB that the holster has a RAISED BACKING that will fit in between your body and the safety lever. (For safety, but also greatly aids comfort.)
If you prefer leather, you will need to buy an expensive holster before you find thumb breaks that are fit and stiff enough to be safe. You will want a pancake style for OWB. For IWB you need something reinforced as cheap hosters that collapse are unacceptable.
Also with some manufacturers, like Comp-Tec, have V-Clip options for tuckable concealed carry with no clips going over your belt.
You will find, besides a holster, when carrying such a heavy pistol, that your belt is REALLY important. Buy a really heavy, two layer, cross grain gun belt, preferably in bull-hide (not just leather). http://www.thebeltman.com makes awesome belts.
I use one of these belts, (he put velcro in it when he made it) with a Comp-Tac Minotaur with V-Clips with an all-steel Gov't sized 1911. I can tuck my shirt in and its invisible, even to some who look for it.

Merry Christmas

Marco

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
getting myself a Christmas present today in the form of a Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm.

Merry Christmas!

Feeding your 10mm anything other than:
1) Double Tap
2) Buffalo Bore
3) Georgia Arms
4) Winchester Silver tips
5) Corbon
for Self Defense wouldbe sacrilegious.

There are many that make TB holsters for Gov't models, check out Dun Hume.
There is also Bianchi 82 CarryLok Holster, it is leather.
I found the Safariland ALS 6378 hard on the finish and takes alot of getting used to.