Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Do I have to inform cop that I am armed?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    115

    Post imported post

    If he doesn't ask if I have weapons in the car do I legally have to tell him I'm carrying? Everytime I do I get asked to exit vehicle, which ends up resulting in a 20-30min stop.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    No law requires you to volunteer that information or answer even if directly asked. So just don't tell him. And if he asks, don't lie, just politely refuse to answer his questions.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    Please note NRS 202.3667, especially the part highlighted in red, if you have a CCW and are carrying concealed. If you have a CCW, but are not carrying concealed, this does not apply.
    NRS 202.3667
    Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

    1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

    2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.
    Of course I may just refuse on principle anyway, since it's not criminal to refuse, and carries a maximum civil penalty of $25.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471

    Post imported post

    That sucks. I've only been stopped one time while carrying, and I informed the officer right off the bat. With both hands still on the wheel, "Morning officer. Before I start reaching around, I just want to inform you that I have a CCW permit, and I am armed." It was a NHP officer up here, and he was more suprised than anything. Showed him my DL and insurance, he then asked for the CCW, then sent me on my way with a verbal warning.

    And Tim is right on, there is NO duty to inform LEO's of your firearm. I just personally feel its a good idea, YMMV. I'd rather tell the cop up front than risk they accidentally notice it later...





    By the way, you make it sound like you get stopped pretty often... Here's a friendly suggestion to help with your situation: QUIT GETTING STOPPED!!!!



    :celebratelol party on

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    115

    Post imported post

    Well right now I'm driving a car with a temp tag. So even if I'm not breaking the law 9 times out of 10 if a cop gets behind me, he lights up.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471

    Post imported post

    Ahhhh... Been there, done that. Talk about another rights violation. We get ticked off for being bothered for simple OC, yet they police use the temp tag issue to stop people all the time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    My wife and I were pulled over once because of temp tags one week after buying our new truck. The cop told us that stolen vehicles are frequently moved using temp tags, I wanted to say (but was too chicken to do so) that newly purchased vehicles are even morefrequently moved using temp tags.

  8. #8
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Post imported post

    It would seem to me that pulling you over for temp tags is no different than stopping you on the street and asking for ID with out RAS. I can't see how they could claim that they have RAS just because of the "legal" temp tag. I think the best thing to do is passive non-cooperation. Tell them that you object and that you believe they are operating under color of authority. Ask them to site the statute that allows them to "randomly" pull you over. Make the stop as dificult as you can for them without going over the line. If the average citizen would do this, then eventually the cops with the attitude that we are their cattle would learn who they really work for and put them in their place.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    Would that be profiling?....driving while temp tagged
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

    IMO telling him is just a practical thing to do if I am giving him my DL.

    I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

    Ken

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    The Big Guy wrote:
    It would seem to me that pulling you over for temp tags is no different than stopping you on the street and asking for ID with out RAS. I can't see how they could claim that they have RAS just because of the "legal" temp tag. I think the best thing to do is passive non-cooperation. Tell them that you object and that you believe they are operating under color of authority. Ask them to site the statute that allows them to "randomly" pull you over. Make the stop as dificult as you can for them without going over the line. If the average citizen would do this, then eventually the cops with the attitude that we are their cattle would learn who they really work for and put them in their place.
    Driving an unregistered vehicle is good reason for a stop. If the temp tag is one of those that goes in the front windshield, there is no proof that it is a temp tag, making it reasonable to believe you are driving an unregistered vehicle.

  12. #12
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Post imported post

    Your point is taken, however we live in a country where you are supposed incocent until proven guilty.

    I once lived in a place where all bicycles had to be registered and licensed. If a cop saw you riding a bike down the street, would he have the right to stop you to check if the bike was registered? Nope, never hold up.

    As I'm sure you are aware in New Mexico a Federal Judge ruled that just because you were wearing a gun was not reason enough to stop you. There had to RAS that you have, are engaged in, or about to commit a crime. Gutfeelings don't cut it.

    Absent RAS, it is my opinion, for whatever that's worth, the police have no right to pull you over. If they do, then they should have the right to randomly check your "Blue Card" status too when they see you have a gun. They should have the right to pull over any properly licensed and identified vehicle at any time because they have no way of knowing if the person driving actually has a license.

    All in all it is sad that cops just naturally assume everyone is guilty. As has been said on this and other forums many times, when they stop you for any reason, the police are not your friends.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771

    Post imported post

    CowboyKen wrote:
    You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

    IMO telling him is just a practical thing to do if I am giving him my DL.

    I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

    Ken
    NV does that? I knew MO did...but wasnt aware NV linked the carry permit w/driver's license.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    mrjam2jab wrote:
    CowboyKen wrote:
    You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

    IMO telling him is just a practical thing to do if I am giving him my DL.

    I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

    Ken
    NV does that? I knew MO did...but wasnt aware NV linked the carry permit w/driver's license.
    From what I've heard, when a police officer runs a license plate in Nevada, it will also run the registered owner for warrants automatically. I've heard that a CCW comes up if an officer runs a vehicle for warrants. Even listening to the scaner, you'll occasionally hear "Be advised, RO is showing CCW"

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    joeschmo wrote:
    mrjam2jab wrote:
    CowboyKen wrote:
    You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

    IMO telling him is just a practical thing to do if I am giving him my DL.

    I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

    Ken
    NV does that? I knew MO did...but wasnt aware NV linked the carry permit w/driver's license.
    From what I've heard, when a police officer runs a license plate in Nevada, it will also run the registered owner for warrants automatically. I've heard that a CCW comes up if an officer runs a vehicle for warrants. Even listening to the scaner, you'll occasionally hear "Be advised, RO is showing CCW"
    I've had Metro run my DL and it brought up my CCW. I was in a company car, so I know it wasn't from running the plates.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471

    Post imported post

    joeschmo wrote:
    From what I've heard, when a police officer runs a license plate in Nevada, it will also run the registered owner for warrants automatically. I've heard that a CCW comes up if an officer runs a vehicle for warrants. Even listening to the scaner, you'll occasionally hear "Be advised, RO is showing CCW"
    I wasn't aware police could see the DL information based on the plate number. I know a dispatcher, her license plate is "28n29em", which is a reference to police calling for a 10-28 and 10-29, which respectively are:[*]10-28 Vehicle registration information [*]10-29 Check for wanted
    I believe, based on my ride alongs and I am NOT an expert, but they only get vehicle info based on the plate. They have to call in and have dispatch check for warrants here in Washoe.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    Please note NRS 202.3667, especially the part highlighted in red, if you have a CCW and are carrying concealed. If you have a CCW, but are not carrying concealed, this does not apply.
    NRS 202.3667
    Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

    1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

    2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.
    Of course I may just refuse on principle anyway, since it's not criminal to refuse, and carries a maximum civil penalty of $25.
    I say go with the "don't ask, don't tell. If the officer requests to see your permit, show him. If the officer doesn't ask if you have any firearms, or if you have a permit, then do not tell them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •