• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I have to inform cop that I am armed?

vegasche1023

imported post

If he doesn't ask if I have weapons in the car do I legally have to tell him I'm carrying? Everytime I do I get asked to exit vehicle, which ends up resulting in a 20-30min stop.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No law requires you to volunteer that information or answer even if directly asked. So just don't tell him. And if he asks, don't lie, just politely refuse to answer his questions.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please note NRS 202.3667, especially the part highlighted in red, if you have a CCW and are carrying concealed. If you have a CCW, but are not carrying concealed, this does not apply.
NRS 202.3667
Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.
Of course I may just refuse on principle anyway, since it's not criminal to refuse, and carries a maximum civil penalty of $25.

jfrey123

imported post

That sucks. I've only been stopped one time while carrying, and I informed the officer right off the bat. With both hands still on the wheel, "Morning officer. Before I start reaching around, I just want to inform you that I have a CCW permit, and I am armed." It was a NHP officer up here, and he was more suprised than anything. Showed him my DL and insurance, he then asked for the CCW, then sent me on my way with a verbal warning.

And Tim is right on, there is NO duty to inform LEO's of your firearm. I just personally feel its a good idea, YMMV. I'd rather tell the cop up front than risk they accidentally notice it later...

By the way, you make it sound like you get stopped pretty often... Here's a friendly suggestion to help with your situation: QUIT GETTING STOPPED!!!!

:celebratelol party on

vegasche1023

imported post

Well right now I'm driving a car with a temp tag. So even if I'm not breaking the law 9 times out of 10 if a cop gets behind me, he lights up.

jfrey123

imported post

Ahhhh... Been there, done that. Talk about another rights violation. We get ticked off for being bothered for simple OC, yet they police use the temp tag issue to stop people all the time.

Gordie

imported post

My wife and I were pulled over once because of temp tags one week after buying our new truck. The cop told us that stolen vehicles are frequently moved using temp tags, I wanted to say (but was too chicken to do so) that newly purchased vehicles are even morefrequently moved using temp tags.

The Big Guy

imported post

It would seem to me that pulling you over for temp tags is no different than stopping you on the street and asking for ID with out RAS. I can't see how they could claim that they have RAS just because of the "legal" temp tag. I think the best thing to do is passive non-cooperation. Tell them that you object and that you believe they are operating under color of authority. Ask them to site the statute that allows them to "randomly" pull you over. Make the stop as dificult as you can for them without going over the line. If the average citizen would do this, then eventually the cops with the attitude that we are their cattle would learn who they really work for and put them in their place.

CowboyKen

imported post

You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

IMO telling him is just a practical thing to do if I am giving him my DL.

I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

Ken

joeschmo

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
It would seem to me that pulling you over for temp tags is no different than stopping you on the street and asking for ID with out RAS. I can't see how they could claim that they have RAS just because of the "legal" temp tag. I think the best thing to do is passive non-cooperation. Tell them that you object and that you believe they are operating under color of authority. Ask them to site the statute that allows them to "randomly" pull you over. Make the stop as dificult as you can for them without going over the line. If the average citizen would do this, then eventually the cops with the attitude that we are their cattle would learn who they really work for and put them in their place.
Driving an unregistered vehicle is good reason for a stop. If the temp tag is one of those that goes in the front windshield, there is no proof that it is a temp tag, making it reasonable to believe you are driving an unregistered vehicle.

The Big Guy

imported post

Your point is taken, however we live in a country where you are supposed incocent until proven guilty.

I once lived in a place where all bicycles had to be registered and licensed. If a cop saw you riding a bike down the street, would he have the right to stop you to check if the bike was registered? Nope, never hold up.

As I'm sure you are aware in New Mexico a Federal Judge ruled that just because you were wearing a gun was not reason enough to stop you. There had to RAS that you have, are engaged in, or about to commit a crime. Gutfeelings don't cut it.

Absent RAS, it is my opinion, for whatever that's worth, the police have no right to pull you over. If they do, then they should have the right to randomly check your "Blue Card" status too when they see you have a gun. They should have the right to pull over any properly licensed and identified vehicle at any time because they have no way of knowing if the person driving actually has a license.

All in all it is sad that cops just naturally assume everyone is guilty. As has been said on this and other forums many times, when they stop you for any reason, the police are not your friends.

mrjam2jab

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
You should be aware that when the officer puts your driver's license in his computer it will show him that you have a permit to carry.

I have not been stopped since I got my permit but I was in a traffic accident. After I caught the guy, who fled the scene,when the cop arrived I gave him my DL and permit. He handed the permit back and said, "I don't need this."

Ken

NV does that? I knew MO did...but wasnt aware NV linked the carry permit w/driver's license.

joeschmo

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
CowboyKen wrote:

Ken

NV does that? I knew MO did...but wasnt aware NV linked the carry permit w/driver's license.
From what I've heard, when a police officer runs a license plate in Nevada, it will also run the registered owner for warrants automatically. I've heard that a CCW comes up if an officer runs a vehicle for warrants. Even listening to the scaner, you'll occasionally hear "Be advised, RO is showing CCW"

AnakinsKid

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
CowboyKen wrote:

Ken

From what I've heard, when a police officer runs a license plate in Nevada, it will also run the registered owner for warrants automatically. I've heard that a CCW comes up if an officer runs a vehicle for warrants. Even listening to the scaner, you'll occasionally hear "Be advised, RO is showing CCW"
I've had Metro run my DL and it brought up my CCW. I was in a company car, so I know it wasn't from running the plates.

jfrey123

imported post

joeschmo wrote:

I wasn't aware police could see the DL information based on the plate number. I know a dispatcher, her license plate is "28n29em", which is a reference to police calling for a 10-28 and 10-29, which respectively are:
[*]10-28 Vehicle registration information
[*]10-29 Check for wanted
I believe, based on my ride alongs and I am NOT an expert, but they only get vehicle info based on the plate. They have to call in and have dispatch check for warrants here in Washoe.

Decoligny

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Please note NRS 202.3667, especially the part highlighted in red, if you have a CCW and are carrying concealed. If you have a CCW, but are not carrying concealed, this does not apply.
NRS 202.3667
Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.
Of course I may just refuse on principle anyway, since it's not criminal to refuse, and carries a maximum civil penalty of $25.
I say go with the "don't ask, don't tell. If the officer requests to see your permit, show him. If the officer doesn't ask if you have any firearms, or if you have a permit, then do not tell them.