• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry laws

stacks04

imported post

this is my first topic started here and first off very nice place. i am very new here but have done some reading and learned alot. i emailed my state rep Bill Hamzy about this topic of open carry for some understanding and hopefully to put a bug in his ear about how his constituents feel. here is the response he sent me today, i figured you guys would enjoy this. he is a very nice guy and seemingly never votes away our rights.

Currently, there are no concealed hand gun statutes in CT. If a person
owns a gun and has a permit to carry such a gun, there is no law
preventing them from carrying the hand gun openly and visible to the
public. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) has tried several times to
adopt a concealed hand gun law. DPS claims that openly carrying a hand
gun causes public disturbance and confusion (ex. a legal gun owner with
a hand gun permit walking down the street with a gun might scare
neighbors and kids who might call police, even though the person is
doing so legally). DPS tried to pass this legislation. Last year this
proposal (HB 6457) was defeated by the Public Safety Committee.

Reading the language that was contained in the e-mail, it appears that
DPS is attempting to reintroduce their concealed carry proposal so that
the hand gun can't be visible in any manner when being carried. There is
no exemption for accidental exposure and the punishment for first time
offenders is both a fine and prison time (Class A misdemeanor).

To date, the Public Safety Committee has not received this proposal
from DPS. I hope this helps answer your question.

Bill

[/code]

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Hamzy, William A. is on the Judiciary Committee.

If he truly is on our side, he would make a good ally to our cause!

Please keep in touch with him, maybe he would even let you know when gun bills come up in committee.

Lenny

stacks04

imported post

i am on his email list. he sends one out everytime things come up. and usually a monthly just to keep us abreast on the most current topics going on. i like him alot.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Bill Hamzy is a friend of mine and a stand up guy. He is a straight shooter. This past session he proposed a couple of bills at my request. One was to clarify that only the State can regulate how and where we carry. Thiswas to avoid the patchwork of local town ordinances and regulations that currently exist to inhibit the freedoms that we as Americans have been granted by our Creator.

gluegun

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Bill Hamzy is a friend of mine and a stand up guy. He is a straight shooter. This past session he proposed a couple of bills at my request. One was to clarify that only the State can regulate how and where we carry. Thiswas to avoid the patchwork of local town ordinances and regulations that currently exist to inhibit the freedoms that we as Americans have been granted by our Creator.
You mean like New Britain mandating open carry?

stacks,

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't done so already, you should check out the Connecticut Citizens Defense League (http://www.ccdl.us ). We're fighting for the rights of ALL gun owners in CT, not just hunters.

BizOwner

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Rep. Peggy Sayers, of Windsor was co-sponsor on that bill. She could be someone to contact for support.

The Hamzy bill is something we need because of places like New Britain:

[align=left]Sec. 17-52. Carrying, discharging firearms and fireworks.[/align]

[align=left](a) No person shall discharge or carry firearms, nor discharge firecrackers, torpedoes or fireworks within the park, without approval from the board of park and recreation commissioners.
[/align]

[align=left]This could be a homework assignment for CCDL members.You can find most town or city ordinances online, if not check with your town/city clerk for firearm ordinances.

With 169 towns/cities we don't need 169 different laws pertaing to firearms.
[/align]

buketdude

imported post

Athough I am in Enfield now, Peggy Sayers was my old Rep in Windsor. She seemed very friendly to Gun Rights and assured me she would always and has always opposed any type of gun control