• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left Eye Dominate issue...

polishnightmare

imported post

T Vance:

I think a couple guys have alreadt stated it here. Your best bet is to learn to shoot left handed using your dominant eye. I know you stated that it was tough.

I had the same problem. I am left handed and right eye dominant. I never really had a problem because when I used to shoot left handed I always shot with one eye closed. However when I learned to shoot both eyes open it was a problem. I figured that I can learn to shoot with my right, but I will not be able to become left eye dominant. So I started shooting with my right. Took some time, but know there is no issue at all. Feel just like it was always that way.

I know you already bought a holster, but in the grand sceam it is not ton of $$ to get a lefty.

Think of it this way, you will become a better weak hand shooter than most.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I am "Left Eye Dominant", and I hold my pistol in my right hand. Even at 5 yards when I aim at the center of the target and take my time to aim anf shoot, all my grouping goes about 2-3 inches to the upper left hand corner of where I aim. The grouping is consistant.

So yesterday I was at a range and tried an "experiment" for the first time. I continued to hold the pistol in my right, but I closed my left eye, in turn making myself "right eye dominant", and aimed at the center of the target at 5yards. The grouping wasn't as consistant (since it's hard to keep my left eye closed naturally), but most of my shots landed where I was aiming...the center of the target.

I tried holding the pistol in myLEFT hand, since naturally closing my right eye is easier, but it was much more uncomfortable than just just to be "right eye dominat".

The only other option have been able to come up with is shooting how I would naturally shoot (left eye open, pistol in right hand), and aim for the lower right corner of what I want to hit.

Any suggestions?

EDITED to change right to LEFT
i had the same problem i posted over on MGO a while ago. it was suggested that you can either tilt yer head to it lines up with the sights or tilt the pistol so you can shoot. I just ended up shooting left handed cause I am left handed and left eye dominant. YMMV, GL.

viperar15

imported post

T -

I am right handed, left eye dominant. Its a bit tricky. I shoot right handed as is, but i kinda tilt my head a little bit different so my left is in line with the sights.

There are many youtube videos about it. Another guy I knew had the same exact problem and does just about the same as I.

After I learned to get my left eye in line with the sights while shooting right handed, but accuracy went up quite a bit.

Edit: i refuse to change to left handed shooting. Its not natural for me. So I learn to deal with it. Though, when it comes to rifles... I shoot left handed... go figure...

PDinDetroit

imported post

I am left-handed with right-eye dominance (the opposite problem). I shoot everything right-handed, right-eye and believe that I did the right thing by shooting this way. I have yet to try left-handed shooting, although I keep saying I should try it (in case the right arm is not working). I do all other sports left-handed. I just could never train myself to shoot a bow right-handed and was grateful that MI now allows Crossbows!

My son is right-handed with left-eye dominance. We figured it out when he was shooting his BB Gun at age 8 - right handed, could not hit the target at all, left-handed, hit the center of target every time. he now shoots left-handed and is very accurate.

I say try it left-handed with a .22 LR Rifle to get the feel of it, then try with some pistols.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

My sister has this same problem... I'm teaching her to shoot left-handed.

I, however, have the added advantage of being the first person to really teach her how to shoot... might be harder to change existing habits.

Jack-w-1911

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Try shooting with both eyes open
I focus on the front sight then line it with rear sight, then find target and shoot, it is hard the first couple times then it gets easier.
+1

IMO both eyes open has serious advantages. As a kid I learned to close one eye. I read an article about defense in a mag about 10 years ago that talked about the advantages of keeping both eyes open, so I tried it the next time to the range. By the time I left the range, I couldn't understand why anyone would teach closing an eye.

Yooper

imported post

Jack-w-1911 wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
Try shooting  with both eyes open
  I focus on the front sight then line it with rear sight, then find target and shoot, it is hard the first couple times then it gets easier.
+1

IMO both eyes open has serious advantages. As a kid I learned to close one eye. I read an article about defense in a mag about 10 years ago that talked about the advantages of keeping both eyes open, so I tried it the next time to the range. By the time I left the range, I couldn't understand why anyone would teach closing an eye.

I agree, the best way I heard it, is quite simply, when in an OH S*** situation, do you really want yourself trained to eliminate half of your field of vision, in addition to your depth perception?

Bronson

imported post

Jack-w-1911 wrote:
I couldn't understand why anyone would teach closing an eye.

I believe it's a hold over from bullseye target shooting or hunting where you want to line up a good clean precision kill shot. It works great for those situationsbut isn't really applicable for fast paced, up close self-defense shooting.

ETA:

This is an excerpt I typed up from a magazine article. I originally posted this in the Weaver vs. Isosceles stance thread a while back.

Excerpted from "Play A Winning Hand" by Mike Conti, pg. 13 & 14 Guns & Ammo, Handguns 2009 Annual

The entire concept of the Modern Technique was based on the belief that the core components of the system were as universally applicable for actual combat situations as they were for target shooting on the range. This concept was validated by anecdotes from Modern Technique adherents who had been involved in some type of violent person-on-person incident, stories that were often reported in magazines and books.

For the past couple of decades, though, law enforcement has documented a less-than stellar performance record during documented, real-world gunfights. In fact, studies conducted by the FBI and other police organizations have consistentely indicated that in actual gunfights, on average the police miss the threat suspect they are shooting at with as many as 85 percent of the rounds they fire--this despite years of documented training using primarily the two-hand hold and other Modern Technique-based practices.

Whenever this disparity between training methods and standards and actual real-world performance is brought up, proponents of the Modern Technique are quick to blame the individual officer for failing to adhere to his training or to condemn the members of the law enforcementt profession as a whole for failing to adequately train their officers "enough" in the Modern Techinque.

After having studied this matter in some detail over the past 20 or so years, I've come the conclusion that it's time for us to rethink our dependence upon the two-hand hold, sight-focused school of pistol training becasue it apparently does not adequately prepare the average, armed individual--police officer or law-abiding private citizen--for the realites of violent close-quarters spontaneous events.

It is critical to remember that while these two-hand techniques may reign supreme on the target range or when hunting, they were not developed for use against armed and dangerous human beings presenting an immediate threat at near to touching distances. For those who desire specifics, let's say distances from seven yards to breath-in-the face close, since statistcs also indicate that more than 80 percent of police-involved shootings occur in this zone, most of these within five feet.

Several years ago, I reported on some research which indicated that one of the primary reasons sights were not used during actual or simulated close-quarter spontaneous events was becasue the operators reported that they had an overwhelming feeling there was "not enough time" to access and use them.

It wasn't that the interviewed officers didn't actually have enought time to access the sights. They did have the time, but in their minds they were convinced they did not--despite long, documented histories of being successfully trained to use the sights on the target range.

It's the difference between training for the range and training for the real world. In the real world, we operate in what Prussian military philosopher Carl von Clausewitz described as the "element of danger." And in this element of danger, the vast majority of humang beings facing an armed and dangerous opponent at close quarters will be naturally and forcefully compelled to stare at that threatening human being during those few fleeting and terryifying moments. More than 13,000 years of evolution--during which human beings often squared off against one another with sharp, pointy sticks--pretty much ensures it.

We will also tend to crouch, and if we have something small and dangerous in our hand--whether a sharp, pointy stick or a handgun loaded with sharp, pointy bullets--we will more than likely stare open-eyed at that threat while we try to drive our weapon straight toward and into him, usually with one hand.
Any and all spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes are my own.

Bronson