• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boot the Ban - VA Assault Weapon Ban - One city at a time

Thundar

imported post

Ask your city council to write a resolution to have the city removed from the Assault Weapon Ban list.

Here was my e-mail, sent to all members of the Newport News City Council:

Please Support the Repeal of the Assault Weapon Ban in Newport News.

Dear Newport News City Council,

Our city is on the list of places where the Commonwealth of Virginia has instituted an Assault Weapon Ban in § 18.2-287.4. This law abridges the rights of Virginians affirmed in the Commonwealth’s Constitution, specifically article I, Section 13.

Although the Newport News City Council does not have the authority to change Commonwealth law, I am asking that the city council request, by appropriate resolution, that the General Assembly remove Newport News from the list of cities and counties covered by § 18.2-287.4.

Please keep me informed about what you intend to do.

Thank you for your time,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Newport News, VA 23607

Not included is the letter are the ban and Virginia Constitution sections:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

[align=center]Constitution of Virginia[/align]

[align=center]ARTICLE I[/align]

[align=center]Bill of Rights[/align]
Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Thundar

imported post

Well, we will see. The Code of Virginia uses the term. If I get no, or unfavorable responses, I will carry my SKS (Not a Virginia Assault rifle) to the city council meeting.

2a4all

imported post

TFred wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Well, we will see. The Code of Virginia uses the term. If I get no, or unfavorable responses, I will carry my SKS (Not a Virginia Assault rifle) to the city council meeting.
:) Just gotta ask... where?

TFred
The Code of Virginia uses the term "Assault firearm" in 18.2-308.2:01, 18.2-308.2:2 and 18.2-308.7, but not in the section you cite.

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
TFred wrote:
Thundar wrote:
:) Just gotta ask... where?

TFred
The Code of Virginia uses the term "Assault firearm" in 18.2-308.2:01, 18.2-308.2:2 and 18.2-308.7, but not in the section you cite.
Ah, thanks. I looked for "assault weapon" and it was not there.

TFred