• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VPC-CCW Killers

redboneshadow

imported post

http://vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

[font="Arial,Helvetica"][font="Arial,Helvetica"][/font][/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]In 2009, the Violence Policy Center began an ongoing research project to identify killings beginning in May 2007 to the present by individuals with concealed handgun permits.[/font]

TechnoWeenie

imported post

redboneshadow wrote:

[font="Arial,Helvetica"][font="Arial,Helvetica"][/font][/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]In 2009, the Violence Policy Center began an ongoing research project to identify killings beginning in May 2007 to the present by individuals with concealed handgun permits.[/font]

...and how many were self defense?

joeroket

imported post

Here is my favorite.

On October 19, 2009, Latrecia Levine was shot and killed at The Allied
Veterans Cyber Center Internet Café when a man’s handgun fell out of his waistband, hit
the floor and discharged, striking her in the back. The shooter, who had a concealed
handgun permit, apparently had ignored a sign on the door that included firearms among
the items prohibited from inside the business. Additional signs inside the café said that
no firearms were allowed on the property. No charges were immediately filed in the
case, but the police characterized it as an “active ongoing investigation.”

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Here is my favorite.

Veterans Cyber Center Internet Café when a man’s handgun fell out of his waistband, hit
the floor and discharged, striking her in the back. The shooter, who had a concealed
handgun permit, apparently had ignored a sign on the door that included firearms among
the items prohibited from inside the business. Additional signs inside the café said that
no firearms were allowed on the property. No charges were immediately filed in the

It must have been a Glock.. There is no safeties! I mean every time I drop my Glock it always shoots people.. even if I am the only one around it still finds somebody.

Last night I read that since the suppressor became difficult to get in 1939(I think). There has been one crime committed with a legally owned suppressor and that was by a cop.
I wonder how many thousands have died to illegally owned suppressors? And why do I have to be cavity searched and pay $200 just to get one. When the people without Legally owning one are the ones that are doing all the killing... Just messed up.

NCjones

imported post

I like the crap about the big boomer handguns that are just like rifles and are only used to shoot cops.

"However, the big boomer handguns that are now being designed and marketed by the
firearms industry have elevated the power of handguns to the level of rifles. Big
boomers have thus become “vest busters” and present a deadly challenge to law
enforcement body armor’s life-saving record."

NCjones

imported post

My granny knocked the iron off the ironing board and it fell onto my grandpas toe and he got blood poisoning and died.

I wonder if that counts as a "death by iron" and we should make old ladies get a license to use an iron??

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

redboneshadow wrote:

Why don't they compare it to the number of non-ccw killings? Also eliminate the self-defense, suicide and AD/ND and see what's left...

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Maybe there trying to point out that we dont need permits to carry concealed! Since they point out that obviously even those people can get the permits so why bother with them.. No permits would be great.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

So what is their point?

I could post a tally of how many people pick their nose while driving, categorized by race, gender, or vehicle type, but what is the point of providing the numbers without some stated concern, goal, or opinion?

A whopping 85 people killed (including 11 suicides) by CCW holders since May of 2007. Or an average of about 34 per year.

There were roughly 12,791 homicides involving a firearm in the US in 2006. Add in the suicides-16,883 w/firearms, the "unintentional" (i.e.-accidental) 642 firearms deaths, and the 220 "undetermined" firearm deaths and you have a total of 30,536 firearms deaths in 2006.

34 is just over one tenth of one percent of 30,536. Do they seriously want to expend effort, energy, enact laws, restrict freedoms to try (and fail) to reduce a statistic of 34 deaths per year?

By comparison, over 6000 pedestrians were killed in 2006, or 179 times the number of people killed by CCW holders (over 200 times the number if you take out the suicides).

Maybe any money, effort, and energy available would be better spent on traffic safety, cross walks, and requiring vests with flashing lights along with mandated training on how to safely walk alongside the road. I think that might provide more bang for the buck.

Stats from http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

FMCDH

imported post

911Boss wrote:
34 is just over one tenth of one percent of 30,536. Do they seriously want to expend effort, energy, enact laws, restrict freedoms to try (and fail) to reduce a statistic of 34 deaths per year?

LoL, thanks, you beat me to it.

virgil47

imported post

It's not about reducing deaths or crime for that matter. It is entirely about control. They do not feel that they can effectively control you if you have or may have a weapon they can not see. The only thing that will make these people happy is to disarm all law abiding citizens so the law abiding citizens can be controlled.

cynicist

imported post

[font="Arial,Helvetica"]Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings.

[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]Hmm, 85 out of one million... Anyone care to do some math?[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"]
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"][sup][/sup][/font]

tyguy808

imported post

cynicist wrote:
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings.

[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Hmm, 85 out of one million... Anyone care to do some math?[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]
[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][suP][/suP][/font]
its only been 85 since '07. probably more since 1962.

joeroket

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Here is my favorite.

It must have been a Glock.. There is no safeties! I mean every time I drop my Glock it always shoots people.. even if I am the only one around it still finds somebody.

Last night I read that since the suppressor became difficult to get in 1939(I think). There has been one crime committed with a legally owned suppressor and that was by a cop.
I wonder how many thousands have died to illegally owned suppressors? And why do I have to be cavity searched and pay $200 just to get one. When the people without Legally owning one are the ones that are doing all the killing...  Just messed up.

My question is how the hell is there a shooter when the gun discharged when it fell and hit the floor? You guys all missed that one? You are getting soft on me. :p

FMCDH

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Glocked and Loaded wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Here is my favorite.

I wonder how many thousands have died to illegally owned suppressors? And why do I have to be cavity searched and pay $200 just to get one. When the people without Legally owning one are the ones that are doing all the killing... Just messed up.

My question is how the hell is there a shooter when the gun discharged when it fell and hit the floor? You guys all missed that one? You are getting soft on me. :p
Obviously using the word "shooter" was just sensationalism on the media's part to get more attention on the incident. Its stupid, but its the way the majority of mainstream media feels it needs to work to sell print.

That being said....

He failed to control his firearm, hes still at fault.

MadHatter66

imported post

In September 2005, for example, Giovanni Malito was discovered to be carrying a loaded Model 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver in a holster under his blue and red bathrobe at a Spokane, Washington diner. Malito was a regular at the diner, and it apparently was not unusual for him to show up wearing his bathrobe. What was unusual was for him to be packing a large handgun, the presence of which was revealed when Malito’s bathrobe swung open and a customer noticed the gun. Police were called and Malito was arrested and charged with drug possession and being both a felon and an alien in possession of a firearm. He pled guilty to the gun charges. Subsequent federal investigation revealed that Malito had a long criminal record in Oregon, California, and Illinois. His record included convictions for felony possession of marijuana for sale and for an earlier count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Malito had also been charged at various times and places with second degree sexual abuse, battery, auto theft, possession of marijuana, and theft by deception.Giovanni Malito was deported on January 22, 2008, after serving his sentence.55

So, being curious about the agenda of the other side, and looking for a good laugh... I found this in their "Big Boomer" report... Which sounds a lot like Casad...