Thread: Re: handgun purchase--how many hoops?

Post imported post

What is the process simply to own a HG in NJ? Is it easier(!)in the more rural parts of the state ?

Post imported post

northstar65 wrote:
    What is the process simply to own a HG in NJ? Is it easier(!)in the more rural parts of the state ?
    1). You must go your local Police Chief and apply for, and receive, both a NJ Firesrms Purchaser Identification Card and a Handgund Purchase Permit for each handgun that you wish to aquire. This requires completing a form with your history and references and getting fingerprinted. They then submit your application to the State Police. It can take a year to get approved and I understand it averages about six months now (when I did it in the early '80s it took three months).

2). As far as I know, no.

Ken

Post imported post

Here's the best link I've seen:

http://www.stratfordnj.org/pdf/Firearms_instruction.pdf

It describes all of the paperwork you need, including the latest tax (SBI 212A) NJ has tacked on, with links to pdf's you can fill out online.

It will depend on where you live. A guy I work with just got his FID, lives in Fair Lawn, and it only took him 2 months. I've known others to take 8 months. NJ has a statute that requires it be given in 30 days, but I've never seen them NOT break their own law.

There's a gentlemen from Gun Owners of New Jersey who has listed his phone #, in order to call him if your town requires more than the described paperwork. Apparently a lawsuit was won that explicitly states that they can't require extra paperwork. I can't find the thread with his info. If I do, I'll post it later.

Post imported post

Simplify your life... Do not live in New Jersey... do not work in New Jersey... don't even drive thru New Jersey.