• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Rifle in NC

The Biss

imported post

As a tanker in the US Army, I was trained on the M1911 .45 and and qualified Top Gun on the M9 9mm. However, as a civilian, I have yet to make the investment in a handgun, though I took my wife to Davi's in Raleigh occasionally for a fun night on the range with a rented piece.

I have a preference for rifles. Currently, I have some WWII era steel and wood that I would like to open carry at certain times (Garand and M1 carbine). What has been your experience with OC for a slung rifle?

acritical

imported post

I have personally never OC with a rifle before, and where it may be legal, it may be hard to justify as carrying for self-defense. I have heard that in the less rural areas, it has been done, especially while walking to hunting sites. Also with a rifle mount in the back window of trucks.

Just not seeing a rifle as a very tactical weapon in a spur of the moment self defense situation. Though I have to admit, I have not tried training with one, and with your training, maybe you could prove me wrong. :D

NCjones

imported post

I think you're definitely going to get the "man with a gun" call with a rifle. And it might be easier for you to get the "going armed to the terror" charge.

Not that it's any less legal than a handgun, but the sheeple are going to freak out.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As far as I can tell, it is perfectly legal in the state of North Carolina to carry a rifle.

You may, as one person already pointed out, have trouble with the "for my protection" argument but you could perhaps easily pull it off with rifles/long guns that are chambered for your typical handgun ammunition.

I just read Greensboro's Code of Ordinances and there is absolutely nothing in there prohibiting rifles. As far as open carrying and conceal carry it all follows along the State's statutes and obviously, conceal carry only applies to handguns anyway.

I did speak to a police-friend of mine and he had mentioned to me that someone can call in about that "terrorizing the public" BS but someone has to actually show that was your intent, not just because someone was afraid of you and your gun.

KyleKatern

imported post

You can conceal a long gun. However, a NC CHP only allows LEGAL carry of handguns, not long guns, or NFA items. Thus you could legally own a Subu super shorty, or even a standard minimum length defender model 870 or 500 model shotgun, yet if you have it single point slung under a coat, its illegal.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

You know, I would love to see that. A bunch of military guys walking around town with their personal ARs strapped across the front of their chest. Hmmm gives me an idea for a webumentary....

As to whether or not a rifle or carbine could be used for self defense, yes it can, and it's proven every day in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had a "krav maga instructor" (I quote that because the validity of the statement is in question)tell me he could disarm me before I drew myM4 and shot him from five steps away, he was wrong. By the time he took two steps I had simulated two controlled pairs into his gut and sternum and was still firing while I walked backwards. Point is, if you spend the time to train for the situation, you can use a rifle just as effectively as a pistol, even more so since you can use a sling and have your rifle much more available at a moment's notice.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
You know, I would love to see that. A bunch of military guys walking around town with their personal ARs strapped across the front of their chest. Hmmm gives me an idea for a webumentary....
IDF forces do it in Israel, of course they are a bit more volatile over there than here.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:
IDF forces do it in Israel, of course they are a bit more volatile over there than here.
Yeah I know, and they all have done time in the IDF so they're all used to weapons. Unlike the states where you have to hear stupid comments like "Is that real?!"