Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Arlington Man Arrested In Fatal Shooting Of Alleged Burglar

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    645

    Post imported post

    http://www.kirotv.com/news/21665513/detail.html



    Arlington Man Arrested In Fatal Shooting Of Alleged Burglar
    Posted: 10:45 am PST November 19, 2009

    Updated: 11:02 am PST November 19, 2009

    ARLINGTON, Wash. -- [/b]In what police say is an unusual case, a homeowner was arrested Wednesday night, accused of fatally shooting a man he said burglarized his house.

    Detectives said the incident started Monday when a 38-year-man called 911 to report a burglary at his home in the 22800 block of 37th Avenue Northeast in unincorporated Arlington.

    The man said he had returned home to find a burglar running out of his house, and found some of his wife’s jewelry was missing, a Snohomish County Sheriff's Department news release said.

    Police said deputies and a K-9 unit searched for the burglar but found no one.

    The news release said a few hours later, the man called 911 again and said the burglar had returned to the area. A deputy arrived to find the homeowner in the area looking for the burglar.

    Police said the homeowner told officers he spotted a man in a nearby ditch along the road and yelled at him to come out and talk to him, but the man ran off across a field and into a wooded area.

    The deputy checked the area where the homeowner said he had first spotted the man but found nothing.

    On Wednesday, a neighbor in the same area called 911 and reported finding a body in a small creek that runs through a field on his property in the 23400 block of 35th Avenue Northeast, police said. Police said the body was that of a 25-year-old Snohomish County man.

    Detectives said that during the course of the investigation, investigators learned that neighbors reported hearing gunshots Monday afternoon shortly before the homeowner called 911 the second time.

    One witness told police he talked to the homeowner who told him he had fired a couple of “warning shots” at the man the homeowner saw running away into the field and wooded area.

    On Wednesday night, detectives spoke to the homeowner who had called 911 twice Monday. Police said the man told them he was aware a body had been discovered in his neighborhood and that he was a part of the investigation. He then requested an attorney.

    Detectives arrested and booked the 38-year-old man into the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of second-degree murder.

    Police said the Snohomish County Medical Examiner examined the body at the scene and discovered what appeared to be a gunshot wound. He also found items on the man's person that appeared to be consistent with what the homeowner said was stolen in Monday’s burglary, police said.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575

    Post imported post

    What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.



    Orphan
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    The gun is the absolute last resort anyone should go to, and only if your life or a family member's life is in imminent danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    Orphan wrote:
    What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.



    Orphan
    I disagree, he doesn't give responsible gun owners a bad name sense he was not responsible. To people against others owning guns then yes they will use this to promote there efforts but anyone who believes that is a fool and deserves what they get.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    Orphan wrote:
    What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.



    Orphan
    I'm going to assume you're saying this under the presumption that he actually shot the robber.

    It kinda looks that way at first, but it needs to be proven. The article doesn't cite enough evidence to prove the guy shot the robber.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mukilteo Wa, , USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    Orphan wrote:
    What a*dumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.

    *

    Orphan
    Only due to laws geared towards protecting criminals instead of law abiding citizens. I think you should be able to protect your property against thieves.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    You can protect your property from thieves, but deadly force can be used only in a very few circumstances, and this was not one of them.

    FrankC wrote:
    Orphan wrote:
    What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.



    Orphan
    Only due to laws geared towards protecting criminals instead of law abiding citizens. I think you should be able to protect your property against thieves.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mukilteo Wa, , USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    I understand what the law is but that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest...I have a sneaky suspicion that if shooting was the norm for home invasions (legally) they would quickly cease to be a problem.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post



    Right......The same way the death penalty stops murder.

    FrankC wrote:
    I understand what the law is but that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest...I have a sneaky suspicion that if shooting was the norm for home invasions (legally) they would quickly cease to be a problem.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    We would start running out of home invaders, because they would start dying.

    I wouldn't have shot but I am not going to lament the life of this criminal and condemn the man who had his property stolen.

    I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member Hendu024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:

    Right......The same way the death penalty stops murder.

    FrankC wrote:
    I understand what the law is but that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest...I have a sneaky suspicion that if shooting was the norm for home invasions (legally) they would quickly cease to be a problem.
    No the 'death penalty' may not stop murder, but public hangings and death by firing squad would sure as sh#t get people's attention. None of this b.s. 20 years on death row, either. Oh, but then the states wouldn't get their revenue...

  12. #12
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043

    Post imported post

    Who fires warning shots at a burglar running away??

    Anyway, ballistics testing will determine this pretty quickly I imagine.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mukilteo Wa, , USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:

    I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.
    Lol...Then you would get arrested for assault!


    As for the last bit about the death penalty not working? If it was implemented within 90 days I bet a difference would be noted :P and if you don't think that home invaders would take note if they just started getting shot routinely when caught in the act by the homeowner then you are a little deluded.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    Was the burglar an illegal immigrant or drug addict. Dosen't it cost $30,000 a year to house a burglar in jail or prison. If i was sitting on that jury I would vote not guilty! I spend my life, life, time living working to aquire things to make my life surviviable, and some crimimnal comes into my house and steals my great great grandmothers jewlry, I hope I get a jury summons for that case. Send a message to criminals go to California or die here. Look at the plea bargin the DA made with the guy who shot the car burglar in Seattle. The DAknows people are tired of spending tax money and tired of repeat offenders. Wake up cowards, put these criminals down!

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    FrankC wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:

    I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.
    Lol...Then you would get arrested for assault!


    As for the last bit about the death penalty not working? If it was implemented within 90 days I bet a difference would be noted :P and if you don't think that home invaders would take note if they just started getting shot routinely when caught in the act by the homeowner then you are a little deluded.
    Who said I would assault, we still have citizen arrest in this state.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Hendu024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    FrankC wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:

    I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.
    Lol...Then you would get arrested for assault!


    As for the last bit about the death penalty not working? If it was implemented within 90 days I bet a difference would be noted :P and if you don't think that home invaders would take note if they just started getting shot routinely when caught in the act by the homeowner then you are a little deluded.
    Yep, that's what I meant. Arrested, tried, convicted, and executed in short order would make a big difference.

  17. #17
    Regular Member knight_308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Renton, ,
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    seattleric007 wrote:
    Was the burglar an illegal immigrant or drug addict. Dosen't it cost $30,000 a year to house a burglar in jail or prison. If i was sitting on that jury I would vote not guilty! I spend my life, life, time living working to aquire things to make my life surviviable, and some crimimnal comes into my house and steals my great great grandmothers jewlry, I hope I get a jury summons for that case. Send a message to criminals go to California or die here. Look at the plea bargin the DA made with the guy who shot the car burglar in Seattle. The DAknows people are tired of spending tax money and tired of repeat offenders. Wake up cowards, put these criminals down!
    That's the thing that bothers me about people that say that "stuff" isn't worth getting shot over. Granted you can probably get more, but if someone spent money on something, they spent time earning that money - time they'll never get back. They're not stealing a $2000 TV, they're stealing 100 hours of your life (if you work for $20/hr).

    I personally still wouldn't shoot someone over a TV, but I have the deepest sympathies for an innocent person that would. I'd definitely lean toward "not guilty" in that case.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    I don't really have a dog in the death penalty fight. I do recommend death penalty advocates think carefully, though.

    Which state was it that the governor suspended executions because DNA evidence later proved something like 40% of the death row inmates were not guilty? Ohio? Illinois?

    The question hereis not so much what should be done with the criminal or whether he deserves it. The question is how does one know for sure they got the right guy?

    Political or career-minded prosecutions and career-minded police investigations make for chilling possibilities. Remember what the FBI did to Richard Jewel in their quest to get a confession out of him?

    Very recently the grand-jury transcripts of the Rosenberg case were released--the husband and wife executed for passing atomic secrets to the Russians. It now looks like Mrs. Rosenberg was innocent;a key prosecution witness changed their testimony between the grand jury and the trial. During the grand jury proceedings the witness indicated Ethel Rosenberg was not the source of certain typed notes. During the trial, the witness said Ethel typed the notes.

    Just like with gun control, firearm safety, keeping guns out of criminal hands, I urge readers to carefully consider handing to the state the power to kill its citizens. I am not saying it should or shouldn't, or that the death penalty is always inappropriate. I am saying there are more angles that really need to be considered, more problems that need to be solved.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Not Here Anymore
    Posts
    346

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    I don't really have a dog in the death penalty fight. I do recommend death penalty advocates think carefully, though.

    Which state was it that the governor suspended executions because DNA evidence later proved something like 40% of the death row inmates were not guilty? Ohio? Illinois?

    The question hereis not so much what should be done with the criminal or whether he deserves it. The question is how does one know for sure they got the right guy?

    Political or career-minded prosecutions and career-minded police investigations make for chilling possibilities. Remember what the FBI did to Richard Jewel in their quest to get a confession out of him?

    Very recently the grand-jury transcripts of the Rosenberg case were released--the husband and wife executed for passing atomic secrets to the Russians. It now looks like Mrs. Rosenberg was innocent;a key prosecution witness changed their testimony between the grand jury and the trial. During the grand jury proceedings the witness indicated Ethel Rosenberg was not the source of certain typed notes. During the trial, the witness said Ethel typed the notes.

    Just like with gun control, firearm safety, keeping guns out of criminal hands, I urge readers to carefully consider handing to the state the power to kill its citizens. I am not saying it should or shouldn't, or that the death penalty is always inappropriate. I am saying there are more angles that really need to be considered, more problems that need to be solved.
    I think that we should have the Texas Death Penalty law, If there is DNA evidence proving positive, or two or more credible EYEwitnesses, you go right to the front of the line. Ron White said it best, "your state is trying to abolish the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane!"
    I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    Wait, so it's wrong for this guy to steal things people acquired and he deserves to be killed but when the IRS does the same thing it's okay and they deserve our money?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post


  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, , USA
    Posts
    184

    Post imported post

    Assuming he did it, Seems like a pretty cut-and-dried case of murder to me.




    .

  23. #23
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Dave Workman wrote: Maybe law needs to conform to the factpeople don't want their stuff stolen.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    Wait, so it's wrong for this guy to steal things people acquired and he deserves to be killed but when the IRS does the same thing it's okay and they deserve our money?
    Yep thats why IRS and income tax need to be abolished.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    tyguy808 wrote:
    I think that we should have the Texas Death Penalty law, If there is DNA evidence proving positive, or two or more credible EYEwitnesses, you go right to the front of the line. Ron White said it best, "your state is trying to abolish the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane!"
    This doesn't address the wrongfully convicted. All you've done is advocate killing some (based on an entirely arbitrary -- and false -- standard of "proved") more rapidly. You just argued, essentially, "Don't worry about the wrongfully convicted, we'll just execute those we are less unsure about first." It entirely dodges the pertinent issue.

    In your eagerness to grant the state more power to deal with people you should be defending yourself against, you ran right past the salient detail.

    I'm on the same page as Citizen on this issue. I don't oppose the death penalty per se on moral or ethical grounds, I just highly question the competence of our (or any) government to carry it out without an unacceptable (read: any) false positive rate.

    This is why Citizen's warning ought to be carefully heeded. If the death penalty is to be used, it must be with exactly the same kind of consideration that you so willfully just breezed past as though it were entirely irrelevant.

    I also question, in general, those who are the victims of government aggression (like essentially every non-LEO gun owner), recognize this, and fight against it, but advocate an increase of government power anywhere at all so long as it doesn't affect them, intentionally ignorant of the supreme foolishness of such an act.

    Personally, I'd have no problem wiping our country free of murderers and a few others sorts of offenders, from a purely moral perspective.

    I simply don't trust the government anywhere near enough to willingly cede the power over my life and death to it. Which is what the death penalty entails in the read world where the innocent may be accused and convicted base on "conclusive" but misleading evidence (ESPECIALLY that of notoriously unreliable "eyewitnesses").

    I trust most people enough to allow them to arm themselves, and I trust that, in general, people will make the best decisions they are able to. I trust that, most of the time, you have nothing to fear from an armed citizen as long as you don't aggress against him.

    I simply don't extend this level of trust to the government. Were I to, it would prove me a fool time and time again.

    If we want to take a bite out of crime while preserving liberty, the ONLY option is an enhanced emphasis on individual self-defense (that's why I'm here!). Giving the state more power can only reduce liberty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •