• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington Man Arrested In Fatal Shooting Of Alleged Burglar

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.kirotv.com/news/21665513/detail.html

Arlington Man Arrested In Fatal Shooting Of Alleged Burglar
Posted: 10:45 am PST November 19, 2009

Updated: 11:02 am PST November 19, 2009

ARLINGTON, Wash. -- [/b]In what police say is an unusual case, a homeowner was arrested Wednesday night, accused of fatally shooting a man he said burglarized his house.

Detectives said the incident started Monday when a 38-year-man called 911 to report a burglary at his home in the 22800 block of 37th Avenue Northeast in unincorporated Arlington.

The man said he had returned home to find a burglar running out of his house, and found some of his wife’s jewelry was missing, a Snohomish County Sheriff's Department news release said.

Police said deputies and a K-9 unit searched for the burglar but found no one.

The news release said a few hours later, the man called 911 again and said the burglar had returned to the area. A deputy arrived to find the homeowner in the area looking for the burglar.

Police said the homeowner told officers he spotted a man in a nearby ditch along the road and yelled at him to come out and talk to him, but the man ran off across a field and into a wooded area.

The deputy checked the area where the homeowner said he had first spotted the man but found nothing.

On Wednesday, a neighbor in the same area called 911 and reported finding a body in a small creek that runs through a field on his property in the 23400 block of 35th Avenue Northeast, police said. Police said the body was that of a 25-year-old Snohomish County man.

Detectives said that during the course of the investigation, investigators learned that neighbors reported hearing gunshots Monday afternoon shortly before the homeowner called 911 the second time.

One witness told police he talked to the homeowner who told him he had fired a couple of “warning shots” at the man the homeowner saw running away into the field and wooded area.

On Wednesday night, detectives spoke to the homeowner who had called 911 twice Monday. Police said the man told them he was aware a body had been discovered in his neighborhood and that he was a part of the investigation. He then requested an attorney.

Detectives arrested and booked the 38-year-old man into the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of second-degree murder.

Police said the Snohomish County Medical Examiner examined the body at the scene and discovered what appeared to be a gunshot wound. He also found items on the man's person that appeared to be consistent with what the homeowner said was stolen in Monday’s burglary, police said.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.

Orphan

.45ACPaddy

imported post

The gun is the absolute last resort anyone should go to, and only if your life or a family member's life is in imminent danger.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Orphan wrote:
What adumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.

Orphan
I disagree, he doesn't give responsible gun owners a bad name sense he was not responsible. To people against others owning guns then yes they will use this to promote there efforts but anyone who believes that is a fool and deserves what they get.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Orphan wrote:

Orphan
I'm going to assume you're saying this under the presumption that he actually shot the robber.

It kinda looks that way at first, but it needs to be proven. The article doesn't cite enough evidence to prove the guy shot the robber.

FrankC

imported post

Orphan wrote:
What a dumba$$, people like this give the responsable gun owners a bad name. I hope they put him under the jail.

Orphan

Only due to laws geared towards protecting criminals instead of law abiding citizens. I think you should be able to protect your property against thieves.

Trigger Dr

imported post

You can protect your property from thieves, but deadly force can be used only in a very few circumstances, and this was not one of them.

FrankC wrote:
Orphan wrote:

Orphan

Only due to laws geared towards protecting criminals instead of law abiding citizens. I think you should be able to protect your property against thieves.

FrankC

imported post

I understand what the law is but that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest...I have a sneaky suspicion that if shooting was the norm for home invasions (legally) they would quickly cease to be a problem.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Right......The same way the death penalty stops murder.

FrankC wrote:
I understand what the law is but that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest...I have a sneaky suspicion that if shooting was the norm for home invasions (legally) they would quickly cease to be a problem.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

We would start running out of home invaders, because they would start dying.

I wouldn't have shot but I am not going to lament the life of this criminal and condemn the man who had his property stolen.

I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.

Hendu024

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

Right......The same way the death penalty stops murder.

FrankC wrote:
No the 'death penalty' may not stop murder, but public hangings and death by firing squad would sure as sh#t get people's attention. None of this b.s. 20 years on death row, either. Oh, but then the states wouldn't get their revenue...

FMCDH

imported post

Who fires warning shots at a burglar running away??

Anyway, ballistics testing will determine this pretty quickly I imagine.

FrankC

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I am going to say you better be able to outrun me while carrying my stuff through a feild.

Lol...Then you would get arrested for assault!

As for the last bit about the death penalty not working? If it was implemented within 90 days I bet a difference would be noted :p and if you don't think that home invaders would take note if they just started getting shot routinely when caught in the act by the homeowner then you are a little deluded.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Was the burglar an illegal immigrant or drug addict. Dosen't it cost $30,000 a year to house a burglar in jail or prison. If i was sitting on that jury I would vote not guilty! I spend my life, life, time living working to aquire things to make my life surviviable, and some crimimnal comes into my house and steals my great great grandmothers jewlry, I hope I get a jury summons for that case. Send a message to criminals go to California or die here. Look at the plea bargin the DA made with the guy who shot the car burglar in Seattle. The DAknows people are tired of spending tax money and tired of repeat offenders. Wake up cowards, put these criminals down!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FrankC wrote:

As for the last bit about the death penalty not working? If it was implemented within 90 days I bet a difference would be noted :p and if you don't think that home invaders would take note if they just started getting shot routinely when caught in the act by the homeowner then you are a little deluded.
Who said I would assault, we still have citizen arrest in this state.

Hendu024

imported post

FrankC wrote:

Yep, that's what I meant. Arrested, tried, convicted, and executed in short order would make a big difference.

knight_308

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
Was the burglar an illegal immigrant or drug addict. Dosen't it cost $30,000 a year to house a burglar in jail or prison. If i was sitting on that jury I would vote not guilty! I spend my life, life, time living working to aquire things to make my life surviviable, and some crimimnal comes into my house and steals my great great grandmothers jewlry, I hope I get a jury summons for that case. Send a message to criminals go to California or die here. Look at the plea bargin the DA made with the guy who shot the car burglar in Seattle. The DAknows people are tired of spending tax money and tired of repeat offenders. Wake up cowards, put these criminals down!
That's the thing that bothers me about people that say that "stuff" isn't worth getting shot over. Granted you can probably get more, but if someone spent money on something, they spent time earning that money - time they'll never get back. They're not stealing a $2000 TV, they're stealing 100 hours of your life (if you work for $20/hr).

I personally still wouldn't shoot someone over a TV, but I have the deepest sympathies for an innocent person that would. I'd definitely lean toward "not guilty" in that case.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't really have a dog in the death penalty fight. I do recommend death penalty advocates think carefully, though.

Which state was it that the governor suspended executions because DNA evidence later proved something like 40% of the death row inmates were not guilty? Ohio? Illinois?

The question hereis not so much what should be done with the criminal or whether he deserves it. The question is how does one know for sure they got the right guy?

Political or career-minded prosecutions and career-minded police investigations make for chilling possibilities. Remember what the FBI did to Richard Jewel in their quest to get a confession out of him?

Very recently the grand-jury transcripts of the Rosenberg case were released--the husband and wife executed for passing atomic secrets to the Russians. It now looks like Mrs. Rosenberg was innocent;a key prosecution witness changed their testimony between the grand jury and the trial. During the grand jury proceedings the witness indicated Ethel Rosenberg was not the source of certain typed notes. During the trial, the witness said Ethel typed the notes.

Just like with gun control, firearm safety, keeping guns out of criminal hands, I urge readers to carefully consider handing to the state the power to kill its citizens. I am not saying it should or shouldn't, or that the death penalty is always inappropriate. I am saying there are more angles that really need to be considered, more problems that need to be solved.

tyguy808

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I don't really have a dog in the death penalty fight. I do recommend death penalty advocates think carefully, though.

Which state was it that the governor suspended executions because DNA evidence later proved something like 40% of the death row inmates were not guilty? Ohio? Illinois?

The question hereis not so much what should be done with the criminal or whether he deserves it. The question is how does one know for sure they got the right guy?

Political or career-minded prosecutions and career-minded police investigations make for chilling possibilities. Remember what the FBI did to Richard Jewel in their quest to get a confession out of him?

Very recently the grand-jury transcripts of the Rosenberg case were released--the husband and wife executed for passing atomic secrets to the Russians. It now looks like Mrs. Rosenberg was innocent;a key prosecution witness changed their testimony between the grand jury and the trial. During the grand jury proceedings the witness indicated Ethel Rosenberg was not the source of certain typed notes. During the trial, the witness said Ethel typed the notes.

Just like with gun control, firearm safety, keeping guns out of criminal hands, I urge readers to carefully consider handing to the state the power to kill its citizens. I am not saying it should or shouldn't, or that the death penalty is always inappropriate. I am saying there are more angles that really need to be considered, more problems that need to be solved.
I think that we should have the Texas Death Penalty law, If there is DNA evidence proving positive, or two or more credible EYEwitnesses, you go right to the front of the line. Ron White said it best, "your state is trying to abolish the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane!"

FunkTrooper

imported post

Wait, so it's wrong for this guy to steal things people acquired and he deserves to be killed but when the IRS does the same thing it's okay and they deserve our money?