• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visting Wisconsin

Packer fan

imported post

First, I would like to say I have been following the progress of OC in Wis. since the Supreme Court ruled that is legal to open carry in Wisconsin. Keep up the fight for your rights to "keep and bear arms." not just for hunting as the anti's like to say but for your personal protection and against a repressive Gov if need be. (I know that sounds crazy but that is why the founding Fathers placed that clause there. They feared a strong central government.) Keep up the good work there in the Badger Sate. It's to bad you have a city like The Peoples Republic of Madison and Milwaukee.

Second, I am coming to Wisconsin and just wondering what to expect when I open carry. I live in Arkansas where open carrying is prohibited by law. My wife and I both carry and would like to know if we visit the State Capitol or walk around the square what we can expect being that we are from out of state. My wife has her CCP and I hope to have mine by the time I visit in December. I know I can't CC but do many women OC in Wisconsin?

Third, you should push for Armed American Radio to come to a local station near you. armedamericanradio.org We have it here in Arkansas and it is a great radio program.

Anyway if anyone could let me know the do's and don't's of open carry in Wisconsin I would greatly appreciate it.
Unfortiantly I have to travel through Iowa (Idiots out wandering aimlesly) or Illinios (F.I.S.H.) to get to Wisconsin.

opusd2

imported post

I'm sorry you're coming here. But Illinois makes F.I.B.S.

As for OC here, I do it with the understanding that the tight asses here don't like it and that you can be harassed just for doing what is right. Good luck, and enjoy the ride through IA...

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would suggest you read the following thread, it covers the prohibited places (cars, bars, all government buildings, state parks, 1000ft from edge of school property unless on private property) very well.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

Open carry should NOT result in harassment as some others here have suggested, every LEO in the state knows it is legal. As glock34 stated, watch the schools if you are going to walk the public sidewalks. If visiting any store, they (stores) usually have private parking and therefore the school zones don't matter.

WELCOME to Wisconsin, load up, holster up, and then carry on!

P.S.Concealed Carry is prohibited in almost all cases.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
What about carrying at the zoo in Madison? Has anyone carried there?

I will be looking for school zones. Thank you.
I am not aware of anyone carrying at the zoo. The zoo is owned by the county, so all of the buildings are "government owned" therefore off limits with firearms. Presumably one can wander the grounds, but then a number of important exhibits are inside buildings, as are the gift shops. Therefore the zoo experience would be limited.

You mentioned the state capitol. There ought not to be any problems wandering the grounds, but you can't take a firearm inside the building itself. Downtown Madison (i.e., the Capitol Square / State Street area) does not fall in a school zone.

Do many women OC in Wisconsin? Not enough, but neither do enough men!

What can you expect OCing around Madison? Anything and everything. Some of us have OCed without incident, some have gotten crap, and one has been arrested not far from the Capitol. Hopefully you'll have no problems.

Packer fan

imported post

Ok, I asked a cousinof mine who lives in Monroe if I would be harassed if IOC in that city. Her husband is an LEO in Monroe. She wrote to me that for their protection they would like me not to OC because of the nut jobs. I wrote to her that it's because of the nut jobs that I do carry. She then wrote back after asking her husband, who is a LEO, that "I can not OC in Wis." I have not asked her why I can't but I think it may be that I am not a resident of Wis. Is there any laws that I can see if I can or can not while visiting. I also pointed out to her that I the only legal way to carry in Wi is to OC. I may just skip the state and drive through In on my way up.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Ok, I asked a cousinof mine who lives in Monroe if I would be harassed if IOC in that city. Her husband is an LEO in Monroe. She wrote to me that for their protection they would like me not to OC because of the nut jobs. I wrote to her that it's because of the nut jobs that I do carry. She then wrote back after asking her husband, who is a LEO, that "I can not OC in Wis." I have not asked her why I can't but I think it may be that I am not a resident of Wis. Is there any laws that I can see if I can or can not while visiting. I also pointed out to her that I the only legal way to carry in Wi is to OC. I may just skip the state and drive through In on my way up.
Your residency is irrelevant. Open carry is legal for anyone who can legally possess a firearm. You received incorrect information. I guess they didn't get the memo in Monroe.

protias

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I would suggest you read the following thread, it covers the prohibited places (cars, bars, all government buildings, state parks, 1000ft from edge of school property unless on private property) very well.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

Open carry should NOT result in harassment as some others here have suggested, every LEO in the state knows it is legal. As glock34 stated, watch the schools if you are going to walk the public sidewalks. If visiting any store, they (stores) usually have private parking and therefore the school zones don't matter.

WELCOME to Wisconsin, load up, holster up, and then carry on!

P.S.Concealed Carry is prohibited in almost all cases.
Not just bars, but any place that serves alcohol for consumption. So Apple Bees and the like are out of the question to carry into too.

Packer fan

imported post

Thank you for all the info and help. This will be my first time OC since OC is illegal in Arkansas and Mo has CC and in Iowa I do not plan on stopping.

Wisconsin, the place of my birth, will take my OC virginity! :):D:p:shock::what::celebrate:lol::cool::dude:

It will be in December so I will have to OC outside my coat; which I don't see asa big deal since I'm coming from the south and it will be coooooolllllllldddddddd in Wis. (did I emphasise the cold enough)

Packer fan

imported post

I finaly was able to OC in Wisconsin fo rhte first time:celebrate.

I OC the entire time I was in Madison and not one person said anything. Not that I went to a lot of places but I did it.

I left my motel the Clarion Suites on Rimrock Road and drove down to the Southtown Walmart put my gun in the holster and walked in. I don't know if the people were looking at me and even saw my gun or they were looking that I was wearing a brown leather rimmed hat, a flannel shirt, and white snake skin cowboy boots.You don't see a lot of that inWis. I even had an employee go out of his way to help my, now that surprised me even more. That was on Sunday night. Monday morning I walked over to a credit union across the road to use the ATM. I walked partly into the building, realized the ATM was not inside as I was told and walked back out. I will say I felt strange thinking that someone would call the LEO's. I do believe the county sheriff's building was just across the way too.

Thank you to all who have OC before me to make the experience non eventful. :celebrate:monkey:monkey:celebrate:celebrate

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glad to here your excursion was so UNEVENTFUL!

Your experience was/is no different than if you hadn't carried and that has been the goal from the beginning.

Packer fan

imported post

I'm heading ot Wisconsin again. This time the wife wants to OC:celebrate. I asked her why she did and she said for the benefit of thet family and because we can. :what:

I will be in the Janseville area 3-1-10 and will be meeting relatives at the Ponderosa.

None of my relatives OC and may not know it is legal. We will see how they react to the wife having my .40 on her hip.

I will say thanks to the two women that posted pic and videos of them OCing in Sussex. She is now willing to OC. You did make a difference.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
I do believe the county sheriff's building was just across the way too.
On Rimrock Road? That would be the Ferris Center, which houses minimum security prisoners who have work-release privileges.

Packer fan

imported post

Yes it was on Rimrock rd. Did I break the law in that? I didn't go onto or into the property.

I'm so law abiding that I feel like I'm breaking the law while following it.:lol:

I would like to OC on State Street but do to time constraints.

Packer fan

imported post

OC in Janesville's Ponderosa. The manager was very friendly and never said or did a thing. I know there was three woman sitting at a table talking and asking each other if I was a cop or not. Other than that nobody really cared.

I'll be going back when given the chance.

Again thank-you all for doing the right thing there in Wi.

Carry On.

Packer fan

imported post

I forgot to say that my wife did a little shopping at the Shopko in Delavan and OC there all alone. She said nobody even gave her a second look other than when she approached the cash register. There was a woman getting her things out of her cart and placing them on the conveyor belt. The woman looked up and saw the most horrific sight. That's right a GUN! My wife said she dropped everything in her hands and her eyes were as big as saucers. The woman then placed her husband between her and that horrific object.

My wife just talked to them as if she did notice the reaction.

Again thank you all in Wi. I'll do my part to educate the public.