• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry into restaurant that serves/drink alcohol -legal for non-resident?

kjay

imported post

I know that concealed carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol is legal in West Virginia, however does this apply to a non-resident with a reciprocal concealed weapons permit? Also, even though this is a "no-no", I do not see a provision against drinking a single beer and carrying a concealed weapon, like Nevada? Please advise?

turbodog

imported post

kjay wrote:
I know that concealed carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol is legal in West Virginia, however does this apply to a non-resident with a reciprocal concealed weapons permit? Also, even though this is a "no-no", I do not see a provision against drinking a single beer and carrying a concealed weapon, like Nevada? Please advise?
My understanding of the reciprocity agreements is, that an out of state permit that is recognized by the state you are in, will be treated as if issued by that state.

Therefore, any privileges or restrictions that apply to a permit from that state, also apply to the permit from the state you are a resident of.

I would highly advise not touching alcohol while carrying, even if concealed.

Nozoki

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
KPatrick wrote:
What about OC in alcohol-serving establishments? The OP is about CCW...
Again, West Virginia law is silent on this issue; thus it is legal.
But here's a little snippet from the WVA attorney general's website http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf

It is important to note that while West Virginia is an “open carry” state the ability to carry openly is deemed by law enforcement to apply only to West Virginia residents. West Virginia law enforcement’s interpretation of “open carry” is that the handgun must be visible from three sides.

Dreamer

imported post

I addressed this in another thread, but I'll duplicate the post here. I'm not sure where the WV AG gets the info in their brochure, because according to the WVSP website, the State Police already KNOW that Open Carry is legal in WV, and say so in VERY clear terms in the general FAQ concerning firearms issues on their webpage.

http://www.wvstatepolice.com/legal/faq.html

And I quote (emphasis added by me):
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]Q.[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"] Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia? [/font]

[font="Arial,Helvetica"]A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm. [/font]

Maybe the WV-AG should actually get on the "InterWebs" and use the "Google Machine". It wasn't difficult to find. You'd think the WVSP would be REQUIRED to clear their website through the AG's office. Either the AG's staff is not doing their job, or SOMEBODY in Charleston isn't telling the truth with regards to the WV AG's firearms pamphlet...

I hope that the good folks at WVCDL bring this WVSP website FAQ to the attention of the AG, and maybe the WVSP and WVAG can come to some sort of understanding as to what the law REALLY is in WV, and can then proceed to give out accurate information to both their own employees and the Public.

This little game of "he said-she said" that the WVAG and the WVSP is playing with regards to OC and out-of-state permit reciprocity is getting a little old...

nova

imported post

Nozoki wrote:
It is important to note that while West Virginia is an “open carry” state the ability to carry openly is deemed by law enforcement to apply only to West Virginia residents. West Virginia law enforcement’s interpretation of “open carry” is that the handgun must be visible from three sides.
Too bad that appears to violate the 14th amendment...

Dreamer

imported post

nova wrote:
Nozoki wrote:
It is important to note that while West Virginia is an “open carry” state the ability to carry openly is deemed by law enforcement to apply only to West Virginia residents. West Virginia law enforcement’s interpretation of “open carry” is that the handgun must be visible from three sides
Too bad that appears to violate the 14th amendment...

Not to mention the FAQ on the WVSP's own web site where they CLEARLY STATE that OC is legal in WV for anyone traveling through the state. See the quote and link two posts above this one...

Sarge Rock

imported post

[sup]It's also not law enforcement's job to interpret laws, and allowing them to do so is tantamount to giving them legislative or even judicial powers.[/sup]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sarge Rock wrote:
[sup]It's also not law enforcement's job to interpret laws, and allowing them to do so is tantamount to giving them legislative or even judicial powers.[/sup]
Aah OK - Welcome to OCDO Sarge.

Why are you yelling?

Yata hey