• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry (duh)

hammer6

imported post

i have a florida CWL, and i am traveling through north carolina. am i free to open carry?

Dreamer

imported post

Anyone who is legal allowed to own and purchase a handgun may open carry in NC. No permit, license or other documentation is required to OC in NC.

However, if you're going to be carrying it in your car you really only have 2 options to be safe:

First option--have it PLAINLY VISIBLE, like on the seat or on the dashboard.

Second option--have a Concealed carry permit that is recognized by NC. If you are going to keep it under the seat, in the glovebox, or on your hip (or otherwise obscured from plain view) while in your car, a CHP is required. Florida CFL's are recognized in NC.

Also, if you're going to be carrying concealed, and you get stopped in your car, before you do ANYTHING (including reaching for your ID and registration) the FIRST thing you need to do is politely inform the officer that "you have a current Concealed Firearms Permit in the state of Florida, and you are currently carrying." Then wait for further instructions. Usually they will ask you where it is--JUST TELL HIM--don't point, motion, or reach for it. Then wait--he'll probably ask for your DL and your CFL. Tell him where it is, and slowly retrieve it.

I keep my DL and my NC CHP in a small "business card flip" that I carry in my shirt pocket when I travel. It's easy to get to, I don't have to shift around when I'm in the car to get to it, and I don't have to reach anywhere near my firearm. Might be something you consider if you travel a lot. I also keep my registration and insurance card in a little vinyl folder (that I got in an auto parts store) in my sun visor, rather than in the glovebox.

But then again, just don't do anything that would get you pulled over and you don't have to worry about this little dance...

Under NC law, if you are CCing, and you are addressed by an LEO in ANY official capacity, (whether in you rvehicle or on foot) you MUST INFORM that you have a permit, what state it's issued from, and that you are currently carrying. Dont use the words "gun" or "weapon". Just say you are "currently carrying". They will understand what you mean...

But for OC, you don't have to inform, because it's pretty obvious, since it's OPEN carried.

If you get hassled, it's always a good idea to let an LEO know you have a concealed carry permit if he asks--the fact that you've gone through all the trouble to get the permit will often put them somewhat at ease, and de-escalate the situation somewhat. Like I said before, you don't need a permit--CC or otherwise--to OC in NC, but sometimes they might ask you to cover it up. Some cities are REALLY cool with OC, some not so much...

Also, understand that you CANNOT carry--OC or CC in ANY restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption on premise. If you go into ANY venue that serves beer, wine, or liquor, you need to leave your firearm in the car.

You can't carry on school or college property, PERIOD.

You can't carry (OC or CC) in any venue or gathering that charges admission--this includes sporting events, amusement parks, and movie theaters.

And keep your eyes open for "No Guns" signs. If you go into a business tha tis posted, and you get caught, you are guilty of trespassing--technically, they don't have to tell you to leave for you to be guilty of trespassing if the venue is posted. Many malls in NC are posted, but there is no standard format for signage in NC, so be observant. And some malls and stores post only the main entrance, so be careful.

You can't carry in any medical facility that treats or houses mental patients.

And you can't carry in Cary. (Really--I'm not making that up...)

You can download the official PDF of NC firearms laws from the NC Attorney General's website:

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Read it. Learn it. Live it. And if you have any questions, call the NC AG office. They are very helpful and will give you a straight answer on these issues. I've had very good interactions with the NC AG office with regards to questions about carry issues.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your travels through the Tarheel State!

mrjam2jab

imported post

Dreamer wrote: Also, if you're going to be carrying concealed, and you get stopped in your car, before you do ANYTHING (including reaching for your ID and registration) the FIRST thing you need to do is politely inform the officer that "you have a current Concealed Firearms Permit in the state of Florida, and you are currently carrying."

Just to be clear. If it is sitting on the seat "plainly visible" do you need to inform? I'm not sure i would assume that he sees it...

Myrighttocarry

imported post

In the midst of the hijacking, (nope overslept) Jerz_Snubbie went and said Ethan was agreat guy to take the class with. I'm saving what little money I have, and selling one of the handguns to purchase a SLG 21. End Hijack. Sorry fella's.

acritical

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
...And you can't carry in Cary. (Really--I'm not making that up...)

Ok, I was going to leave this statement alone, since everyone else did. However, I just could not do it. The above statement is not completely accurate. It is true that Cary makes it difficult to carry as opposed to a lot of other cities in N.C., but you can indeed carry in CARY, since I do it all the time and many LEO has seen me doing it.

The thing is, you cannot carry on any public area. Since shopping centers and most parking lots are private property, you can carry into stores and restaurants that do not serve alcohol, just watch out for the no firearms signs as previously stated.

Public areas does include sidewalks, along the side of the street, public parks, or anything owned by the City of Cary. Cary does not own parking lots, but it is arguable about any parking lot that is shared with a City owned and habited building.

Dreamer

imported post

hammer6,

With regards to the "requirement to inform", that only goes in NC if you are CC.

If you are OC in your car (gun on the seat) then there is no legal requirement to inform, but it might be a good idea anyway, as another post said.

But remember if you ARE CCing, ANY time a NC LEO addresses you in an "official manner", you are required by NC law to inform. They will probably ask to see your permit, depending on the circumstances.

And to reiterate, you DO NOT need to inform if you are OC. And anyone from any state--if they are legally able to purchase and possess a handgun--may OC in NC.

Just watch out for the "no guns" signs, and be aware of the laws, like the "restaurant ban", and the "school ban"...

Good luck!

griv

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Also, understand that you CANNOT carry--OC or CC in ANY restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption on premise. If you go into ANY venue that serves beer, wine, or liquor, you need to leave your firearm in the car.

I thought that it wasn't exactly black and white. That if you are not seated in proximity of the bar and you consume no alcohol you are ok with a CCL. Is that not correct?

mrjam2jab

imported post

acritical wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
...And you can't carry in Cary. (Really--I'm not making that up...)

Ok, I was going to leave this statement alone, since everyone else did. However, I just could not do it. The above statement is not completely accurate. It is true that Cary makes it difficult to carry as opposed to a lot of other cities in N.C., but you can indeed carry in CARY, since I do it all the time and many LEO has seen me doing it.

The thing is, you cannot carry on any public area. Since shopping centers and most parking lots are private property, you can carry into stores and restaurants that do not serve alcohol, just watch out for the no firearms signs as previously stated.

Public areas does include sidewalks, along the side of the street, public parks, or anything owned by the City of Cary. Cary does not own parking lots, but it is arguable about any parking lot that is shared with a City owned and habited building.

I may have asked this before...if so sorry. How does Cary (Center of Relocated Yankees, right? I have friends living just between Raleigh and Cary) get around State Pre-emption?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
I may have asked this before...if so sorry.  How does Cary (Center of Relocated Yankees, right?  I have friends living just between Raleigh and Cary) get around State Pre-emption?

Unfortunately, cities do this all the time.

I work for a city government and have seen, at least once, the city council vote for something against state law. Until someone on the state level challenges that, the city does what it wants. They see themselves as autonomous and sometimes do what they want even if they know they are wrong. Other times, the legal teams for these local governments just haven't done their job or totally missed something that would have told them whether or not something is illegal. Either way, they do it and move on. So if you clarify from the State of NC first (I would say the attorney general's office would be a good place to start) that Cary is wrong and have an illegal law in place, then by all means break Cary's law if you are willing to deal with the legal hassle. Just have the NC's AG office number on hand and a good lawyer to make sure Cary doesn't try to push some other charges against you (such as terrorizing the public or something such as that).

lonewolf2810

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Just to be clear. If it is sitting on the seat "plainly visible" do you need to inform? I'm not sure i would assume that he sees it...
I never assume with the LEO I always tell him just for my safety and his. You need to put yourself in their shoes one time and think how would you feel?

If you have nothing to hide why not tell him? And besides stay within the law and you won't have a problem.

JimKC

imported post

No N.C. has a reciprocity agreement ,which means they honor any state that honors theirs.Florida does not honor N.C. CCW permits so N.C. does not honor theirs.So you may want to double check the books..

JDriver1.8t

imported post

griv wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

I thought that it wasn't exactly black and white. That if you are not seated in proximity of the bar and you consume no alcohol you are ok with a CCL. Is that not correct?
You CAN NOT carry AT ALL in any extablishment that sells alcohol for consumptions on premises. That is why we have what has been dubbed the 'restaurant ban' as most food places sell beer even if they don't serve liquor or havea bar.