• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry need some info

doughboy

imported post

Well let me start by saying that when I turned 21 I went and took ccw/cpl classes. I was turned down by the genesee county gun board for speeding tickets. I was told to keep my nose clean (no tickets) for a year and come back. Well it has been 4 and I am going to take my classes agin. When searching the net for ccw/cpl classes I stumbled upon this site. I have been reading alot of post and have yet to find a answer to a few questions I have. I was taught that in Michigan it was only legal to have a firearm in your car when going to or from a range or hunting is this so?
I guess what I am looking for is your routine for open carry. Like when I leave my home I have my unloaded gun in a case put it in the trunk. get in my car put my loaded magazine in the glove box. When I get to where I am going I park in the back of the parking lot get the magazine out of my glove box. I get into the trunk uncase my firearm load the magazine into the firearm then holster the weapon. Is this about what you do? I am sorry if this is dumb but I just am not looking to break any laws.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

First, Welcome to ODCO.

Second, it's NOT A CLIP. it's a Magazine.

As for your other questions, I'm sure someone will be right along to answer them. I can't right now(or I would)as I need to get my butt home and get to bed, I'm going hunting in the morning :pyippy ;)

lapeer20m

imported post

if you look at the cpl application, I do not think you will find speeding tickets on the list of misdemeanors that keep you from obtaining your cpl. You didn't have any felony fleeing and eluding or other felonies i assume? If you meet the requirements, they are required to issue you your license.

you don't need to keep the magazine in the glove box. You can keep a loaded magazine in the same closed container with your unloaded pistol. Your loaded magazine must not be in the gun.

d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(u3...-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol AND trunk

doughboy

imported post

Yes I know that is not a reason for them not to give it to me but that is what they told me. They said that I had a problem with authority. I turned 21 and took the class so everyone was telling me they were going to mess with me and they did. If I had knew better I would have appealed it but was young and did not know I could. I have not had a ticket since I went in front of the gun board. So I am hoping all will go well if not I will hire a attorney and fight it.

autosurgeon

imported post

No if he has the certificate from the original class and it was taken after the new CPL law went into a effect in 2001 then he would not have to take the class again as teh certificates do not expire.

Based on 4 years that puts us in 2005 so he should be good without a new class!

conservative85

imported post

First welcome to OC.
Second I see u took Doug's correction to heart and must have edited your "clip" mistake, it may seem trivial but you need to know Doug's humor, and that at this website we try to point out words mean things. We try to educate, and desensitize the public.

I am pretty sure you can open carry while bow hunting, as long as you have a firearm license, like lets say a combo. Open carry is legal, Or did you mean conceal carry while bow hunting?

Nice deer, where did you shoot it? how heavy, How many points, and how big is the spread? tell us tell us already.:what:

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="+1"]Statewide Handgun Regulations [/size][/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]While in the field, handguns must be carried in plain view. Carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view is permitted.[/size][/font] Mi.Gov site under hunting rules

doughboy

imported post

Well my buck was shot November 9th He is a 8 point and he dressed out at 220lb. I dont know the spread but he scores 110 105 after deductions. I wish I could carry a pistol afield when bow hunting but this is what the 2009 Michigan DNR hunting and trapping guide says

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.
Exceptions:
This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.
[/size][/font]

lapeer20m

imported post

if you meet all the requirements and they still refuse to give you your cpl, they are in violation of the law. You should contact a lawyer. Jim Simons has dealt with gun boards in the past. I think he practices out of shelby township, i don't have his number handy. Not that it matters for your cpl, but i don't think he is a big fan of open carrying.