• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Militia Movement Resurfaces across the U.S.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
I doubt he, any more than we, apart from the Arrant Knight_Errant, is caught up in causation from an observation.

His data does support a very significant rejection of a properly crafted null hypothesis that he did not mention but that we can imagine. Don't blindly ignore the darkness because you can't see it.
I know there is a tautology in there somewhere...:dude:
I know I have a dictionary around here, somewhere...:p
pretty lame that one is forced to open a dictionary just to read a post. I keep telling him to use simple words, be he has to use the big words to mask the fact that he really has nothing intelligent to add.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Ho ho. I was just having a conversation with a learned neighbor (author of Extinction: Bad Luck or Bad Genes) about Climategate. He wrote, in significant part,

Doug, For your amusement, or scholarly research on an otherwise dreary day, here is a link to the complete ClimateGate download (60+ MB): http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_emails,_data,_models,_1996-2009 Amusingly, the actual file name is called: climactic-research-unit-from-the-leaked-data.zip The second 'c' changes the meaning somewhat. By the way, running the e-mails through a word processor cleans up the formatting and makes them easily readable.
I responded
Thank you. I fetched a copy a day or two after it became publicly available and was promptly overwhelmed. There is lots of chaff for little gain....grain. I imagine that you and I are among the few that pay attention to such details. My mother used 'climateric' as an euphemism for menopause. I hope that this file release is the dénouement of the AGW controversy.
May I suggest keeping the Wiktionary open in another tab?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Ho ho. I was just having a conversation with a learned neighbor (author of Extinction: Bad Luck or Bad Genes) about Climategate. He wrote, in significant part,

Doug, For your amusement, or scholarly research on an otherwise dreary day, here is a link to the complete ClimateGate download (60+ MB): http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_emails,_data,_models,_1996-2009 Amusingly, the actual file name is called: climactic-research-unit-from-the-leaked-data.zip The second 'c' changes the meaning somewhat. By the way, running the e-mails through a word processor cleans up the formatting and makes them easily readable.
I responded
Thank you. I fetched a copy a day or two after it became publicly available and was promptly overwhelmed. There is lots of chaff for little gain....grain. I imagine that you and I are among the few that pay attention to such details. My mother used 'climateric' as an euphemism for menopause. I hope that this file release is the dénouement of the AGW controversy.
May I suggest keeping the Wiktionary open in another tab?
I knew you could not be that smart, so you spend most of your time on Wiktionary, thinking up new ways to aggravate people.:?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I knew you could not be that smart, so you spend most of your time on Wiktionary, thinking up new ways to aggravate people.:?
Aww, found out, and by a small caliber son of a gun too, another Pancho Sanza.

To a pair of correspondents that are fiddling with teleology and thermodynamics. One a UWM Emeritus Prof. of Paleo or Anthro (I fergit which), the other a real live employed PE,
Coincidentally. John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler, The Anthropic Cosmological Principle, Chapter 3 Modern Teleology and the Anthropic Principles, 3.7 Dysteleology: Entropy and the Heat Death, p 168: Inge wrote in the 1930's an entire book, God and the Astronomers, to discuss the Heat Death theory presented by Jeans and Eddington. He called the Heat Death 'the new Gotterdammerunge' in reference to the Norse myth which held that the world would end with the destruction of everything, including the gods (W. R. Inge, God and the astronomers, Warburton lectures, 1931 - 1933 (Longman's Green, London, 1934), p.24). Inge was not bothered by the Heat Death; indeed, he welcomed it: <<The idea of the end of the world is intolerable only to modernist philosophy, which finds in the idea of unending temporal progress a pitiful substitute for the blessed hope of everlasting life, and in an evolving God a shadowy ghost of the unchanging Creator and Sustainer of the Universe. It is this philosophy which makes Time itself an absolute value, and progress a cosmic principle. Against this philosophy my book is a sustained polemic. Modernist philosophy is, as I maintain, wrecked on the Second Law of thermodynamics; it is no wonder that it finds the situation intolerable, and wriggles piteously to escape from its [c]oils.>>
I have been reading Barrow and Tipler and noticed this quoted passage that referred to their interest. Or you can believe that I found that on the internet and cut&pasted it for YOUR enlightenment. You would do better to doubt that!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Aww, found out, and by a small caliber son of a gun too, another Pancho Sanza.

To a pair of correspondents that are fiddling with teleology and thermodynamics. One a UWM Emeritus Prof. of Paleo or Anthro (I fergit which), the other a real live employed PE,
Coincidentally. John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler, The Anthropic Cosmological Principle, Chapter 3 Modern Teleology and the Anthropic Principles, 3.7 Dysteleology: Entropy and the Heat Death, p 168: Inge wrote in the 1930's an entire book, God and the Astronomers, to discuss the Heat Death theory presented by Jeans and Eddington. He called the Heat Death 'the new Gotterdammerunge' in reference to the Norse myth which held that the world would end with the destruction of everything, including the gods (W. R. Inge, God and the astronomers, Warburton lectures, 1931 - 1933 (Longman's Green, London, 1934), p.24). Inge was not bothered by the Heat Death; indeed, he welcomed it: <<The idea of the end of the world is intolerable only to modernist philosophy, which finds in the idea of unending temporal progress a pitiful substitute for the blessed hope of everlasting life, and in an evolving God a shadowy ghost of the unchanging Creator and Sustainer of the Universe. It is this philosophy which makes Time itself an absolute value, and progress a cosmic principle. Against this philosophy my book is a sustained polemic. Modernist philosophy is, as I maintain, wrecked on the Second Law of thermodynamics; it is no wonder that it finds the situation intolerable, and wriggles piteously to escape from its [c]oils.>>
I have been reading Barrow and Tipler and noticed this quoted passage that referred to their interest. Or you can believe that I found that on the internet and cut&pasted it for YOUR enlightenment. You would do better to doubt that!
I opted out of attending a center of higher learning for a reason, sitting next to intellectual burnout wanna be's like you , would make me want to eat the barrel of a 12 gauge or even this would easier than listening to you...

Tomahawk

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
or even this would easier than listening to you...
You're doing it wrong. Laying in the middle you may get get lucky and the train will roll over you without killing you. Place your neck on the rail for best results. Better yet, place your skull on the rail so your head pops like a water balloon. Make arrangements to have the video uploaded to youtube.

Tomahawk

imported post

McX wrote:
Boy I'm glad were all friends here. I swear I'll put my head on the tracks. Anyway, a bit story: When my Father In Law became ill some time back, I sent him a get well card. He was shocked, but I explained: If you die I'll have no one to argue with. He's that way. Continue on guys. Just no gore huh? I still love you both.:D
I'm just sayin', if you're gonna do it, do it right is all...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
You mean you all had to wiki "tautology"? Even you, Doug? Time to find a new forum!
Who, me?  Ya think?  Even Ayn Rand's Objectivists know that A=A.
Well, no I don't really think, but it just seemed a suitable joke after you basically admitted to keeping a wiktionary tab open at all times.

I use a mac, and I keep the dictionary in my dashboard, which is about as readily-accessible as anything on a computer ever is. ;)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
McX wrote:
Boy I'm glad were all friends here. I swear I'll put my head on the tracks. Anyway, a bit story: When my Father In Law became ill some time back, I sent him a get well card. He was shocked, but I explained: If you die I'll have no one to argue with. He's that way. Continue on guys. Just no gore huh? I still love you both.:D
I'm just sayin', if you're gonna do it, do it right is all...
:lol:, I agree...it was the only non gore picture i could post that hints at wacking your self out via train.., found some ucky ones, but too graphic to post.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
I don't know how to use alot of the fancy computer stuff. I don't chat, nor text, nor twitter. I have a phone, but it's just a phone. I've been through nearly 15 computers so far in life, so I don't put much into them. I just hope you guys aren't seriously angry at each other. Your lucky to be here, and have the mutual support, learning opportunities, and exchange of ideas. Your lucky to have the company, and companionship here. Life has not been kind to me in that respect. So I value and treasure the people I get to meet, and interact with on here. You guys are probably lucky, and have lots of friends. That hasn't been the case for me. All of the people I grew up with, considered close friends have used me, taken advantage of me, betrayed me, and cast me aside. Even my wife's friends took me for all the money they could get, and then tried to wreck my marriage. My coworkers, or once coworkers more correctly put; they used me for all they could get, then stabbed me in the back, and burned me out of my job as an added bonus. I know alot of people, and have alot of customers, but no one ever invites me over, nor says to me: You realy took good care of me, please be my friend. All the people that have done bad things to me, under the guise of friendship, none of them have ever come to say how sorry they were, and that they feel bad inside about what they did to me. I guess that's why I embraced carrying a gun. I know no one will come to help me. But since I've come here I have people to talk with. Open Carriers come to the shop, and prove to be friends, people of outstanding quality, people I can count on and trust. It hurts me to see arguements going on here, I just wish you guys saw/see each other, and yourselves as I do.
Seriously mad ? No....if I was that cranked up, well we won't go into that... But I have really no use for the Master geek either...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
OK. So I got a question. How do I handle a hostile customer if he advances on me. Can I place my hand on my firearm, and with my other arm, extended, palm out, order them to: Halt?
do what ever you must do to defend yourself. Hands on gun ok, but until he produces a weapon don't draw.

gbu28

imported post

I agree with Glock, do what you must to defend your person. But for me, I would make damn sure I only pull a weapon on someone who is a physical threat to me. In other words, you don't want someone calling the cops because you pulled a gun on them simply over a disputed bill/charge.

Never assume being "right" or even justified will keep you out of jail for something you shouldn't be there for. And I don't want to be somebody's political agenda to get them elected to their next office.

Just ask the hundreds of people now who have been released from prisons due to DNA evidence exonerating them. Or better yet, ask the <insert number here> number ofinnocent people in prisons who don't have the benefit of having DNA exonerate them.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

McX wrote:
OK. So I got a question. How do I handle a hostile customer if he advances on me. Can I place my hand on my firearm, and with my other arm, extended, palm out, order them to: Halt?
I do not believe so. There is a Disparity of force. You are threatening the use of deadly force. I would recommend to not be wearing your handgun if you are dealing with customer relations where a customer may get "hostile". Unless a reasonable person would believe that your life was in imminent and immediate danger, you may end up in more hot water than you intend to be. You can not shoot someone for punching you in the face and walking away. You can not even threaten to use your firearm even if they grab a hold of you. A shoving match is not a threat to your life.