• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there lessons to be learned in 'Judge strikes down Tennessee guns-in-bars law '?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Wouldn't the difference between a restaurant and a tavern be in the licensing?

I mean, you have a licensed tavern and then there is a licensed Restaurant. It should be obvious. I think the argument is nothing more than a stage for the antis to trump up some more fear tactics.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

any link to the opinion? This makes no sense to me - all kinds of gun laws are vague - for example, how does a person even know that a restaurant serves alcohol until you walk in the place and look around?

Further, if the new law was unconstitutionally vague, this would strike down the penalty for breaking the law, not strike down the bill repealing generally the prevousl ban - in any event, we need to see the opinion to see how this judge came to this conclusion.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The Wisconsin statutory prohibition is on pistol carry in premises licensed to serve.

(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any
premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has
been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

125.04 General licensing requirements. (1) LICENSE OR
PERMIT; WHEN REQUIRED. No person may sell, manufacture, rectify,
brew or engage in any other activity for which this chapter
provides a license, permit, or other type of authorization without
holding the appropriate license, permit or authorization issued
under this chapter

125.26 Class “B” licenses. (1) Every municipal governing
body may issue Class “B” licenses for the sale of fermented malt
beverages from premises within the municipality and may authorize
an official or body of the municipality to issue temporary
Class “B” licenses under sub. (6). Subject to s. 125.34 (5) and (6),
a Class “B” license authorizes retail sales of fermented malt beverages
to be consumed either on the premises where sold or off the
premises. A license may be issued after July 1. That license shall
expire on the following June 30. Persons holding a Class “B”
license may sell beverages containing less than 0.5% of alcohol
by volume without obtaining a license under s. 66.0433 (1).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Is it a violation to consume or have alcohol in your system while in posession of a firearm in TN?

If so, I do not understand what the problem is!

The people fighting against allowing permit holders to be armed while eating dinner makes no sense to me, Is their point that they are concerned about a drunk carrier possibly shooting someone? What is the problem?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Judge's name is Claudice Bonnyman her opinion isn't likely to be published until at least Monday.