• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC question about shotguns/rifles

T Vance

imported post

From what I recall reading, you can OC a rifle and/or shotgun around a city/town area as long as you have a hunting license for that time period. Correct?

Could a person OC a rifle and/or shotgun into a store/business as long as they don't sell alcohol? A friend of mine is out hunting this morning as was asking that question. I figured I'd pose it.

conservative85

imported post

There is no law for or against the O.C. of a long gun same as pistol. There are DNR laws that are strict about having a firearms in hunting areas and around wildlife that could be construed as game animals. So if you long gun O.C. and walk pass a field with a deer and have no license you could be sited. there are also laws pertaining to the Liquor commission restricting the carry of all firearms.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
From what I recall reading, you can OC a rifle and/or shotgun around a city/town area as long as you have a hunting license for that time period. Correct?

Could a person OC a rifle and/or shotgun into a store/business as long as they don't sell alcohol? A friend of mine is out hunting this morning as was asking that question. I figured I'd pose it.
There is no law against it as far as I know. If a person has a CPL he can possess firearms in places listed in .234d, so if you have a CPL you could have a long gun in a bar or a place that sells alcohol.

Michigander

imported post

Pistol registered long guns carried in holsters are a great way to make sure you're legal if you'd be legal with a handgun, and protected against brandishing charges as well.

The only problem can be finding a "holster" that will fit a rifle or shotgun. But a scabbard or drop leg holster can be adapted with a little effort.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Pistol registered long guns carried in holsters are a great way to make sure you're legal if you'd be legal with a handgun, and protected against brandishing charges as well.

The only problem can be finding a "holster" that will fit a rifle or shotgun. But a scabbard or drop leg holster can be adapted with a little effort.

That brings up an interesting question. So lets say I had an HK MP5 style rifle registered as a pistol. They have slings for them but I've never seen a holster per say. Does it need to be in a holster because it's registered as a pistol? I would assume that it would receive the same restrictions as a normal pistol would as to places off limits with a CPL or not.

Secondly, if you have a rifle registered as a rifle then pretty much a sling is all you really need to OC it legally? Are they any restrictions on OC'ing rifles besides just the DNR restrictions.

conservative85

imported post

BRANDISHING Opinion No. 7101 February 6, 2002: …In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions…..the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions…the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner." Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code. It is my opinion, therefore, that…by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.

Regardless of a holster as long as your not doing anything that ressembles the above definitions, you could be ok to sling a rifle, and rifles as far as I know need not be registered, just legally purchased.

Michigander

imported post

Some would call it paranoid, but I want the fullest legal protection I can have when I do something that gets me targeted by cops. That's why I suggest a holster of some sort for any open carrying in an urban part of Michigan. Less of a Chance of having to take it to court.