Thread: Boot knife? Which are the better tactical use knives?

Post imported post

I'm looking for a boot knife to carry(where lawful), and was wondering if anyone had a favorite brand or blacksmith.

I've seen a few knife knives which are made by hand along with a kydex holster, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for in a boot knife. I also want a common carry bootknife which I can stick in my boot for daily use. I've tried carrying pocket knives which clip on my pocket and end up losing it. Every time I've lost a pocket knife, I think, "I hope a kid doesn't find it."...

Favorites? Kydex holsters which don't irritate? While some 5.11 boots do have a built in bootknife holster, they are certainly not my favorite. Much of 5.11 tends to be designed to be trendy, which I absolutely don't care for in a product.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

I recommend without hesitation a Cold Steel "Safe Maker." I have the Safe Maker II.

You can wear them as a neck knife or boot knife... neck knives actually make more sense. But don't use it as either. Wear it on your belt, opposite your gun.

I also have a Kershaw Military Boot Knife, not bad and inexpensive.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I have owned a few SOG knives in the past and like them. They are well-made and hold an edge well. SOG knives, however, tend to be a little on the spendy side.

Check out the SOG "Pentagon Mini". It's got a kydex sheath with a clip, and is made as a backup/boot knife. Looks like it might fit your needs...

http://sogknives.com/store/M14.html
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I really like this one. Been using it forever and it's a great knife if you're on a budget.

http://www.knivesplus.com/smith-wesson-sw-hrt3.html
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

If you're looking for a weapon, and a weapon only, Applegate Fairbairn daggers are about as good as it gets for daggers. As tools, they are lacking. The small surface size of the cutting edge, and the thick width of the middle of the blade make them poor slicing knives, best suited for stabbing.

If you want a weapon and a tool, a good Bowie knife is probably among the best options. Just make sure the blade is ground so that it has a nice wide bevel that goes most of the way or all the way across the width of the blade. That will make for a good slicing knife. Something with a teensy little cutting edge will suffer from the same deficiencies as a dagger, except it will only have one edge.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Appears knife rights need to work on weapons for carry when they're not just a folding pocket knife. Anchorage, which I do visit, has an ordinance against anything other than a folding pocket knife in regards to carry.

Having a complete preemption on daggers, ka-bars, assisted and ordinary pocket knives, and other knives which are useful for every day carry(car, person, home, etc) would be nice.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

I carry a Benchmade Infidel switchblade. I'm military though, perks of the trade.

Post imported post

I like Cold Steel's AK-47...it pulls open very quickly and you get multiple mounting options for the clip...

Post imported post

I carry a Gerber Springed Pocket knife. Easy access in pocket and I can have it opened in the same amount of time it takes most people to reach and draw a boot knife.

Post imported post

I carry a Cold Steel "Black Talon" clipped on my pocket. I NEVER carry a weapon anywhere near my ankle.

I was chasing a BG and suddenly and much to my horror, watched as my backup pistol was launched through the air IN FRONT OF ME AND TOWARDS THE BG! Thank God he was too busy running away from me to notice.

After that, my BUG was placed into a holster that was sewn onto my vest.

My advice: KEEP it attached to your belt or clipped to your pocket!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Look into 'diving knives'... They tend to be designed to work well when strapped to an ankle or any where really, and their sheaths are also designed to be more comfortable against the skin... In my opinion (which seems to reflect what some of the others here have hinted at) even a 'boot knife' is best attached to the person moreso than the boot...

Post imported post

Depending on its use make sure you go for something with a high quality metal. Now if its just defense 440 is alright steel but the higher you go the higher the performance is,in my opinion Spyderco makes some of the best knifes at some pretty reasonable prices.

Post imported post

Cold Steel's Brave Heart is a great boot knife. The sheat clips securely to the boot and nestles comfortably just above the hollow of the achilles tendon. The knife stays shaving sharp and comes to a needle point. Boot knives are meant to be hold-out weapons, and the Brave Heart works wonderfully.

Post imported post

For a boot dagger/punch dagger I carry a Cold Steel Safe Maker II. I carry it just behind my mag pouch on my belt. I don't carry anything on my boot as I have found it very difficult to get to in a hurry.

I also carry a Benchmade Griptillian as my work knife. Gotta have one for each purpose.

Post imported post

I'll put in another vote for SOG. I carry the Aegis tanto, i cut through anything and everything. Copper wire to field dressing game(it was hot this fall and there was no time to lose!) to thick plastic tarps.

I really like the SOG AUS 8 blades are masterfully heat treated,but not brittle. Go somewhere where you can try them on before you buy, Especially if your thinking of spending more then $60 on an EDC boot knife.

I realize this thread is a bit old but I didn't want to start a new thread since I was researching the knives mentioned in this thread.

1) the Cold Steel "Black Talon" is no longer produced. Bummer!

2) I was looking at SOG knives and found one that I liked only to find that it was not sold to civilians! I didn't know that knives had a military/LEO-Civilian restriction! Has anyone heard of this before? Below is the link to the knife I was looking at.

http://sogknives.com/store/ST-06.html

I was looking at SOG knives and found one that I liked only to find that it was not sold to civilians! I didn't know that knives had a military/LEO-Civilian restriction! Has anyone heard of this before? Below is the link to the knife I was looking at.

No surprise there, it's an automatic knife and illegal most places.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    No surprise there, it's an automatic knife and illegal most places.
    I forgot about swithblades being illegal. Kinda sucks. So LEO can carry auto-opening knives but regular joes can't?

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    LEOs can also get automatic weapons.... Seeing a trend here... auto(matic)?
    So can normal citizens depending on your state. I know a number of people locally who have them.

Back to the knife thing I just picked up this guy and really like it. Fantastically well made folder.

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...id=10&brand=zt
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Quote Originally Posted by GlockMeisterG21 View Post
    So can normal citizens depending on your state. I know a number of people locally who have them.

Back to the knife thing I just picked up this guy and really like it. Fantastically well made folder.

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...id=10&brand=zt
    Nice knife! :-)

As far as Class III firearms yes I "could" own a pre-1986 manufactured auto BUT since there is a limited supply of available product the price is 15x-20x of what I could buy a brand new unused 2010 product. Also since it has to be a pre-1986 design I can't own cool fully auto weapons like the TDI KRISS-SMG a 45 caliber machine gun.

I believe these "Federal" laws to be unconstitutional and hope to see them reversed. If the government is supposed to fear the people (thereby keeping the government inline and obeying the constitution) how are we the people supposed to stand up to government troops (police/military, etc) that are allowed to have fully auto weapons whereas us serfs can't.

Personally I would like the TDI Kriss SMG and would use the 2-3 round burst rather than full auto but I don't see how the government is getting away with the INFRINGEMENT on my constitutional right to bear arms!!!

since you live in PA now (shudder), you should pay attention to this:

Pennsylvania - Pa. C.S.A. 18.908. Prohibited offensive
    weapons. (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized
    by law, he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
    uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
    It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
    prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
    dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
    performance, or that he possessed it briefly in
    consequence of having found it or taken it from an
    aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
    intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
    weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
    instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
    way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
    otherwise...
    - also see 24 P.S. 13-1317.2. re: students bringing weapons
    on to school property.]

Pennsylvania case law:
    Where opening knife required lock to be released, and
    once lock was released blade could be exposed by flip of
    wrist, knife did not have blade which could be "exposed in
    an automatic way"... by "otherwise" legislature referred
    to knives that were opened by some sort of mechanism which
    is not a "switch," "push-button," or "spring" mechanism
    but still a mechanism... (1979)

also, bear in mind that preemption does not cover any weapons other than guns, so laws will change from town to town concerning knives. some places may have no laws concerning them, while others, like Philadelphia, pretty much ban all knives for carry. the only knife that is noted as being legal to carry, openly or concealed, is the balisong, otherwise known as a butterfly knife, as per the decision of Commonwealth vs. Miles, which stated that a balisong is NOT a prohibited weapon. still, a township may decide that they're too scary, and ban them. i carry one or two, myself.

it's a pretty safe thing to assume that a boot knife or dagger (any knife that is double edged) will be illegal, like a switchblade or automatic knife. almost anywhere you go in this country, boot knives/daggers are illegal to own, much less carry.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; 08-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.