• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone carry a gun that isn't theirs

vegasche1023

imported post

My brother's GF lives in somewhat of a shady neighborhood, long story short he was in front of her house and looked at some thugs the wrong way. One thug starts talking crap and lifts his shirt up(gun was tucked in waistband). My bro had already told his girl to go inside when the thugs started walking over. After seeing the gun he decided to make a break for the house. No shots were fired. He reported it, but no arrests were made. I want him to start OCing one of my guns until he can afford his own. Is this legal?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Well, in most states, yes - but what abot the grandfthered .local registration schemes? Do they merely require the owner to register or do they restrict who may possess the gun - you are looking for a local law answer I think.

The Big Guy

imported post

Liability laws. If he shoots someone both he and you are liable.You mightbe getting up close and personal with lawyers wanting a stake in your income and posessions.

Do a private transfer of one of your firearms to him with a brotherly agreement that he will transfer it back when he gets another. Do it legal and no one needs to know. Have him take it to a police station and get a"blue card" on it in hisname.

P.S. Make sure he knows how to use it and more importantly when to use it.Just having possesion of a firearm is little protection.

vegasche1023

imported post

He's used all my guns plenty of times at the range and takes gun handling/owning very seriously. I can transfer one into his name then have it transferred back to me later? Aside from the liability, is it legal if I keep the gun registered in my name, while he carries it?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

You can take him to a sub station and since we have to register, just register it in his name . it wont cost anyone anything and Metro will be satisfied.When he registers, it will ask him to report the seller / giver and he can write you down as it would all be perfectly legal, and you won't have to support the Brady Campaign. takes about 20 mins. at the west Cheyenne. substation