• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New 1911 from the gun show today?

OfficerMatt

imported post

Well today is my birthday and the gun show was on the same day so its been awesome! I decided to buy a 1911 from the Get some guns and ammo table. I filled out all my paperwork and was excited because i honestly got a really good deal. However when the guy called BCI to check me out or whatever they said the need to (in his words) "research me more" and he said this is not uncommon and could take up to 48 hours.

Therein lies my confusion. I have no tickets, no warrants, no previous charges of any kind, and nothing on my record. In fact, i purchased my XDM from get some guns and ammo almost a year ago with no problems whatsoever.

Its now almost 4PM and of course i am getting antsy about what the hell is going on and WHY i would be getting "researched".

If someone could let me know what is going on or if BCI is honestly just really busy or something that would be great as i only have work off today and tomorrow and i really wanted to try out my new weapon.

Thanks!

OfficerMatt

mqondo

imported post

BCI is only open Monday through Thursday. That's probably why.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/

Utah Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City UT 84118
(801) 965-4445
Our hours are 7:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. Our office is closed Fridays, weekends, and state holidays.

OfficerMatt

imported post

Yeah he was talking to someone on the phone and giving them my drivers license number and other information. When i called him again at 4:30 today he said that there was still no word back but that BCI or whoever needed to get my address from him to make sure they were pulling up the right person.

Kinda makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

I know of one other Matt Alder in Salt Lake, not sure if he still lives here but he was a student up at the U.

mqondo

imported post

Interesting. I wouldn't worry. Kinda sucks you have to wait to get your gun. But if your background is as you say it is, you'll be fine. :p

OfficerMatt

imported post

Also another quick question, I'm assuming that OC with a shoulder holster is legal? My little brother is in the quartermaster corp and he found out that his unit has a few 1911 shoulder holsters from the '60s so he was going to try and get one for me as soon as he gets them approved by his CO. Obviously i would not be wearing a jacket over it or anything like that but i felt it would be better to ask than to do something wrong.

Thanks again!

OfficerMatt

OfficerMatt

imported post

LOL well pictures soon, but i got a Rock Island 1911 5" for $280 i talked him down from $350 since it was my birthday i got it for a total STEAL! but i got a Blackhawk Serpa Sportster paddle holster and some really nice Hogue grips from Opsgear.

One question i do have is what is the legal mode for carrying it OC with no CCW? I have heard that you can have a round chambered and it cocked but you need to have it on safe... Let me know and ill hit up the pics tonight!

OfficerMatt

mqondo

imported post

Here is what the law says.

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-502

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

scorpioajr

imported post

OfficerMatt wrote:
...One question i do have is what is the legal mode for carrying it OC with no CCW? I have heard that you can have a round chambered and it cocked but you need to have it on safe... Let me know and ill hit up the pics tonight!

OfficerMatt
No permit = Empty breech and no school zones. Fully loaded NP in a vehicle that is yours, in your possession, or if you have permission from owner. Also legal to CC and OC loaded in your own home as the homeowner. There has also been tell tale of having to be two actions away from firing. but, if you have safety on with nothing in the breech, i don't see how you are not abiding by that.

With permit = Go nuts. :celebrate

Leelando

imported post

mqondo wrote:
BCI is only open Monday through Thursday. That's probably why.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/

Utah Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City UT 84118
(801) 965-4445
Our hours are 7:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. Our office is closed Fridays, weekends, and state holidays.
As a dealer who routinely calls in background checks I can attest that these times are for their office, NOT for the background checks. Although they had a few breaks during the holidays, their normal hours for doing background checks are 9am-7pm (7 days a week).

If you are ever denied on a background check and want to investigate why then you can call the very same number the dealers use: (801) 965-4867 and use option 2 to speak with someone.