• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warehouse store incident

triehl27

imported post

First off this is already going to cooperate, and further still, it is in the act of being dealt with and more details will be available in time.

Well this morning I went to a warehouse store, along with my 5 year old daughter for a couple of items. Apparently in bending over to put something away my 45 grip was printing. I was wearing a open button up shirt as a cover. Nice assoc girl came up and asked what I had under my shirt, and I retrieved my HTC Wing phone and showed her. She was satisfied and walked away and talked to another employee in a red vest male about 20 years old. He intern came up to me and demanded I show him what was under my shirt. Again I showed him the Phone and phone holder. He then demands I take my shirt off, and lift my tee shirt.

-ME Are you kidding me, No, I'm not stripping.

- MAN I said take your shirt off!

Yelling at a customer to take their shirt off tends to attract a crowd.

- ME NO you want me to leave i'll leave but I am not undressing for you.

- MAN No I want you to take your shirt off and show me what you are hiding, you can't leave with out my permission I won't let you.

- ME Absolutely nothing, I have my phone and a carry pistol on, and I am licenced to have that on me.

- MAN You ain't a cop cause you ain't in uniform.

He then gets on the radio, and who ever it was asked well can you see it?

- MAN No its under his shirt I didn't know til I told him to take his shirts off.

- RADIO: YOU WHAT?

- MAN I told him to take his shirt off and lift his tee shirt. Now he wants to leave, and I told him he can't.

- RADIO Where are you?

- MAN Over by produce,

- RADIO On the floor?

-MAN Yeah

- RADIO And you just randomly told him to undress in public?

-MAN Well I didn't know he had a gun on, all I could see was his phone.

Turns back to me, You have your membership ID?

- You know what, i'm leaving

- MAN No you're not,

- ME I AM NOT UNDRESSING FOR YOU ON THE FLOOR IN PUBLIC I am leaving. You try and stop me I will defend myself. You may contact the police if you like I know I will if you try and force me to remain.

I collected the managers name, the female associates name and the names of 3 couples that had been present heard the entire incident and were willing to help.

The female associate spent of the conversation trying to figure out what was going on, and apologizing to me for the managers behavior.

I was met at the door by the warehouse manager/owner who started apologizing for his manager, I just stopped, pointed out that trying to force me to undress in public and threatening to hold me against my will were both illegal, and i would be consulting a lawyer before returning to the store or talking to them anymore.

I did contact 911 non emergnecy and did speak with an officer, who made a note about it and gave me a case number. He wasn't sure what they would classify it as, that he would talk to his sargent.

I have sent an email to the cooperate office, and have already recieve a reply that they were aware of the incident and the store had been contacted by and officer and the store is conducting an investigation.

Hendu024

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
First off this is already going to cooperate, and further still, it is in the act of being dealt with and more details will be available in time.

Well this morning I went to a warehouse store, along with my 5 year old daughter for a couple of items. Apparently in bending over to put something away my 45 grip was printing. I was wearing a open button up shirt as a cover. Nice assoc girl came up and asked what I had under my shirt, and I retrieved my HTC Wing phone and showed her. She was satisfied and walked away and talked to another employee in a red vest male about 20 years old. He intern came up to me and demanded I show him what was under my shirt. Again I showed him the Phone and phone holder. He then demands I take my shirt off, and lift my tee shirt.

-ME Are you kidding me, No, I'm not stripping.

- MAN I said take your shirt off!

Yelling at a customer to take their shirt off tends to attract a crowd.

- ME NO you want me to leave i'll leave but I am not undressing for you.

- MAN No I want you to take your shirt off and show me what you are hiding, you can't leave with out my permission I won't let you.

- ME Absolutely nothing, I have my phone and a carry pistol on, and I am licenced to have that on me.

- MAN You ain't a cop cause you ain't in uniform.

He then gets on the radio, and who ever it was asked well can you see it?

- MAN No its under his shirt I didn't know til I told him to take his shirts off.

- RADIO: YOU WHAT?

- MAN I told him to take his shirt off and lift his tee shirt. Now he wants to leave, and I told him he can't.

- RADIO Where are you?

- MAN Over by produce,

- RADIO On the floor?

-MAN Yeah

- RADIO And you just randomly told him to undress in public?

-MAN Well I didn't know he had a gun on, all I could see was his phone.

Turns back to me, You have your membership ID?

- You know what, i'm leaving

- MAN No you're not,

- ME I AM NOT UNDRESSING FOR YOU ON THE FLOOR IN PUBLIC I am leaving. You try and stop me I will defend myself. You may contact the police if you like I know I will if you try and force me to remain.

I collected the managers name, the female associates name and the names of 3 couples that had been present heard the entire incident and were willing to help.

The female associate spent of the conversation trying to figure out what was going on, and apologizing to me for the managers behavior.

I was met at the door by the warehouse manager/owner who started apologizing for his manager, I just stopped, pointed out that trying to force me to undress in public and threatening to hold me against my will were both illegal, and i would be consulting a lawyer before returning to the store or talking to them anymore.

I did contact 911 non emergnecy and did speak with an officer, who made a note about it and gave me a case number. He wasn't sure what they would classify it as, that he would talk to his sargent.

I have sent an email to the cooperate office, and have already recieve a reply that they were aware of the incident and the store had been contacted by and officer and the store is conducting an investigation.
Wow. That is kinda crazy. It sounds like you handled yourself very well, given the situation. I look foward to hearing what comes of this. Definitely an interesting story. Kudos for keeping your cool.

triehl27

imported post

The name is left out for legal reasons.

I already have two emailed statements from two of the people present, and will be consulting a lawyer Monday first thing

FMCDH

imported post

Not bad, I think you handled yourself pretty well, but next time, the proper answer to "what do you have under your coat/shirt?" from anyone, is....

My person is private, and none of your concern. If you have a problem with that, you may ask me to leave, otherwise I am continuing my shopping, good day.

And walk away.

The only time you get involved with another person on the 'whats' and 'whys' is with an LEO, and even then only to the bare minimum to comply with the law.

Not a critique, just a suggestion for the future. :)

Crashbox

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
The name is left out for legal reasons.

I already have two emailed statements from two of the people present, and will be consulting a lawyer Monday first thing
Glad to hear you have cooperative witnesses- the guy was WAAAY out-of-line IMO.

Yeah, where it happened is nobody else's business unless you want to make it theirs- it never ceases to amaze me how some people (trolls?) will attempt to extract the info...

Capn Camo

imported post

Me: " I have more black belts than you. Care to forcibly undress me?"

Him: (soiling himself) "gulp"

Me: "Now SHE can undress me anytime she wants, and I demand a search too"

Triehl, PM me and Ill show you how to use Federal Law to make them regret that radio thing. Many retail stores have taken to illegally using GMRS radios. Want some revenge? 5 minutes with tape recorder, 15 minutes paperwork and a Forever Stamp might just give them something REALLY exciting to deal with. Such businesses are usually too cheap to use business band radios and have started to use GMRS which is categorically illegal.

Your Friendly Federal Radio Op out.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Funny story. It sounds like it was an employee acting like an asshat since others were trying to apologize for the incident. A lawsuit might only be fruitful if you can single out the one employee who was trying to force you to do something against your will. I feel he won't last long as an employee either way, especially taking into consideration the other side of radio conversation.

FMCDH

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
McX wrote:
To stop this problem we must all OC and CC naked! :D

CC naked?....... Eeeeeeew!
I know it's possible, but I'm pretty sure the methods required would break every firearm safety rule, and then some. Plus cause impromptu vomiting from anyone who heard about it.
I'm thinking that it may even break a few laws of physics too. ;)

(shudders)

Batousaii

imported post

SIDEBAR1.jpg

OCN - Hmmmmmm......

.. Hmmmm..

MmmmHmmmm...

;)

amlevin

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
Triehl, PM me and Ill show you how to use Federal Law to make them regret that radio thing. Many retail stores have taken to illegally using GMRS radios. Want some revenge? 5 minutes with tape recorder, 15 minutes paperwork and a Forever Stamp might just give them something REALLY exciting to deal with. Such businesses are usually too cheap to use business band radios and have started to use GMRS which is categorically illegal.
Don't be too sure that this is the case here and elswhere as well. I just happen to own four radios that look exactly alike. They are made by Motorola. Two are GMRS and Two are for commercial use.

As for any enforcement by the FCC, don't expect any soon. They are all still reviewing the Super Bowl tapes to see if they can get a better shot of Janet Jackson's right breast:celebrate

The bigger issue here is the potential assault/battery that the OP would have endured should the "twerp" tried to stop him from leaving. Once he puts his hands on someone in a case like this (he has no arrest powers) he leaves the Store wide open for damages when he takes action.

I work part time for a local retail store and all employees are instructed to take no action to prevent a shoplifter from leaving. Merely follow and obtain Vehicle ID without taking risk. Some stores have trained security personnel that often do take action and detain. In this case it sounds like this jerk had a case of "marbles larger than his brain" and now has opened to the store for some major $$$ in liability.

I absolutely would file a civil action against the store. I'lll bet they will send a settlement offer by return mail.

Stoked

imported post

Sounds like one of those GMRS FB2 owners on the east coast that's continually calling the FCC when foreign-flagged freighters go by with repeaters on the GMRS inputs.

Unless you're a mass media broadcast operator, I'd expect no more than a form letter from Uncle Charlie. I personally know of two ham repeater owners that have been complaining of harmful RFI to their systems for two or more years, even having DF'd the sources, and the FCC hasn't done a thing.

If you're not a broadcast station, and therefore a moneymaker, or a public safety system operator, expect to wait awhile. For something like a local big box store using GMRS radios, don't expect anything.