• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warehouse store incident

Capn Camo

imported post

The FCCs enforcement logs beg to differ with you. The man in Portland that got slapped with a $10K fine for thumbing his nose at FCC doesnt take your view anymore.

triehl27

imported post

So the two things that were passed to me are this.

Possible forced lewd act, although that may become a attempted sexual assualt if the city doesn't have a current lewd act law. (kinda a broad definition, but trying to force someone to undress does fall under the sexual assualt definition)

And Kidnapping for the repeated statements that I could not leave.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Correct it is unlawful detainment. Sounds like with the witnesses an easy win. Most likely they would offer a settlement.

In order for a retail employee to make a stop (for shoplifting) they must do all 5 of the following;

1) See you enter the department without the item.

2) See you take the item from the shelf.

3) See you conceal the item.

4) Never lose sight of you or the item.

5) See you pass the last possible point to pay for said item.

Since you were not shoplifting, any other reason to detain you would be unlawful unless you were commiting an unlawful act (i.e. assaulting some one, destroying property, etc.)

Since you were doing none of these things, the clerk had no reason to detain you. If you call the store manager and let him know you are considering getting an attorney and you have several witnesses, more than likely at check would be cut. I know of a former employer of mine cutting a check for 5k when this happened to them.

Stoked

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
The FCCs enforcement logs beg to differ with you. The man in Portland that got slapped with a $10K fine for thumbing his nose at FCC doesnt take your view anymore.

I assume you're referring to the guy who was running a high-powered FM radio station off his balcony? See my above comments regarding FCC response to broadcast station problems. The broadcast bands and PS systems get the highest priority...Something like a suburban store using GMRS bubble pack radios is so low priority as to be non-existent.

I could cite dozens of non-licensed users here in the Puget Sound area that I've logged, everything from tow trucks on 35mhz to a major propery management company with several unlicensed repeaters in the UHF band, one on top of a 50-story building no less. Hell, there's a major state agency running high powered bases and mobiles unlicensed on a VHF freq (not LE). You see Uncle Charlie going after them? No. No interference with anyone but a school district's buses, in that case. But God forbid someone should hear my LPFM station a few miles away and whinge about it.

Maybe someone should call the FCC on the kids in my neighborhood who have an FRS repeater in their attic...One of the old Rat Shack style store-and-repeat types.

Wow, this went off-topic. Sorry.

fire suppressor

imported post

That has to be one of the most exstream story's I have read on this site. It is crazy! Can you imagine what would have happened if you were OCing?

Bill45

imported post

triehl27

What's the latest on this, it has been a month?

Are you here in Washington? Your profile and nothing in the post mentions the location even generally.

I have notice alot of out of state people posting here.

PavePusher

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
antispam540 wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
McX wrote:
To stop this problem we must all OC and CC naked! :D

CC naked?....... Eeeeeeew!
I know it's possible, but I'm pretty sure the methods required would break every firearm safety rule, and then some. Plus cause impromptu vomiting from anyone who heard about it.
I'm thinking that it may even break a few laws of physics too. ;)

(shudders)
Even Glocks don't deserve that...! :celebrate

Reverend Sin

imported post

David.Car wrote:
If it is Costco then shame on you anyways. Costco is an anti 2cd store.
???

I open carry in the Costco in Arlington Washington several times a month and have for the last year and have never had an issue. I walk in with it on my belt, often uncovered on my right hip (unless its raining and I'm wearing my coat) and I have never had an associate, cashier, food stand employee, greeter or other customers approach me or indicate alarm over my firearm. Mind you, I also don't go out of my way to bring attention to myself and my firearm nor do I really pay attention to what's going on around me, I'm so used to my firearm being there it's like an extension of my body. After the first few times I went early last year I stopped worrying about it.

FamilyMan

imported post

Reverend sin wrote

" nor do I really pay attention to what's going on around me"

when he's OCing at costco.

I thought one should be in condition yellow at least when armed. :p

Have a good one.

Reverend Sin

imported post

FamilyMan wrote:
Reverend sin wrote

" nor do I really pay attention to what's going on around me"

when he's OCing at costco.

I thought one should be in condition yellow at least when armed. :p

Have a good one.
What I meant was that I don't scan the reactions of people around me like a paranoid attention hound. I don't seek attention, I don't care for attention, I don't carry a gun to be noticed, I don't care what the people around me think about me carrying a gun. I obviously pay attention when I'm shopping, I just go about my business like a regular patron as if there was nothing unusual about my person, because to me there isn't.

If you wander around the store acting like something is up you're more likely to be accosted, you're more likely to set people on edge by visibly altering your body language just because you're carrying a gun. I find that people are more likely to relax around me if I'm relaxed. I still retain enough awareness to respond to a potential threat, I just don't pay attention to the elephant in the room so to speak.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Reverend Sin wrote:
David.Car wrote:
???

I open carry in the Costco in Arlington Washington several times a month and have for the last year and have never had an issue. I walk in with it on my belt, often uncovered on my right hip (unless its raining and I'm wearing my coat) and I have never had an associate, cashier, food stand employee, greeter or other customers approach me or indicate alarm over my firearm. Mind you, I also don't go out of my way to bring attention to myself and my firearm nor do I really pay attention to what's going on around me, I'm so used to my firearm being there it's like an extension of my body. After the first few times I went early last year I stopped worrying about it.
That's Arlington though, they may choose to not enforce company policy if they happen to selectively not notice certain things. The further away from city you get the more people who are firearm friendly, regardless of company rules.

However, Costco as a company is anti 2nd amendment. So they could pester you if they wanted to.

Reverend Sin

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Reverend Sin wrote:
David.Car wrote:
???

That's Arlington though, they may choose to not enforce company policy if they happen to selectively not notice certain things. The further away from city you get the more people who are firearm friendly, regardless of company rules.

However, Costco as a company is anti 2nd amendment. So they could pester you if they wanted to.
Well so far I have never had an issue at this particular store and if the employees are willing to allow me to go about my shopping without hassle then I'm not going to complain. It would be nice to think that responsible carrying might have an impact on the employees and then somewhere down the line change corporate opinion, but it's more likely that they just don't give a damn.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

costco.jpg