• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to CO

o_O

imported post

Beau wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Also to note- Denver city parks cover a very, very large area of the Metro-Denver parks in general. Double check any park or nature area that you my be visiting- as the land could be owned by Denver and subject to a firearm ban. For example- Red Rocks- Denver owned.

Are you talking about Red Rocks amphitheater? Did not know that was Denver owned.

Couple more things I thought of.

1) Any state laws regarding carry into a bank?

2) Does CO have registration? Before I left CO I owned one pistol and one shotgun. Don't remember registering either of them. That was a long time ago though.

3) I have recently read that CO does not allow private sales of handguns or long guns. Is this true?
Didn't they used to give guns out for opening an account! lol, I've no idea what the case is now.

No registration and no limit on the number that I'm aware of. I know plenty of people that have plenty o'guns. Colorado Springs is a big military city and many stay after they get out.

I've not heard this to be true.
http://www.cologunmarket.com/mkt/index.php
This has a private party sales section and RMGO would likely intervene if this was not allowed. I was givin my first gun by my father in law and AFAIK that's perfectly legal in Colorado.

Apologies that this is only hearsay but maybe it'll help you on the right path.

BTW If you think all this is confusing coming from another state you want to to try coming from another country... and not being a citizen!! I'm English and a legal resident and I've been to Dicks twice now trying to get a shotgun!! I'm hoping tomorrow to finally have everything they need. Third times a charm.

There's another dumb law that most of you wont fall foul of. Section 20c of the application requires all aliens bring 3 months utility bills or bank statements. I have a CO Driver License and an Immigrant Visa (aka the Green Card), but legal aliens are required to provide additional proof we live in CO, while citizens can just show a DL. I can understand the additional need to prove I'm a legal resident of the US, but why my Colorado drivers license isn't sufficient to prove I'm a Colorado resident is beyond me.

Gunslinger

imported post

o_O wrote:
In short the answer I've reached is get your CCW permit even if you only plan to carry in your car. Otherwise you will most likely fall foul of the school zone law.

You can carry in your car and conceal the weapon. A rifle or shotgun must have an empty chamber, mine is always unloaded, not sure if you can have any in the magazine. Handguns can be loaded and chambered.

One thing I found out recently is the restriction of the 'School Zone' to carrying in your car.

Maybe out of date but here is some info
http://davekopel.org/2A/IP/HowStrict.htm
--
It is illegal to bring a gun with 1,000 feet of a school, with certain exceptions.

Gun Free School Zones Act. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q):

(2)(a) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Under 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(25) The term "school zone" means:

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

(26) The term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law."
--
However the certain exceptions mentioned above include CCW permits issues with background checks. More from http://gunowners.org/fs9611.htm

--
THE "GUN OWNER REGISTRATION EXEMPTION:" The "gun free zones" law exempts CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) holders who live in a state that requires a background check before the issuing of a permit.

--

So if you only plan to carry in your car, it's a very good idea to still get a CCW permit as well! 5 years in prison just for driving within 1000 feet of a elementary or secondary school. Good luck avoiding all them, especially as they include home schools!

Another thing that make this School Zone law impractical is, 'weapon' is not just defined as guns but knives too. If you don't have a CCW and drive to your next hunt (even if it's a bow hunt) you'll have to plan the drive in and out of each city really, really well to not fall foul of the law!

Short answer again, get a CCW permit.
Training ~$125
Permit ~$150
Not doing 5 years for driving with your gun...Priceless.

(not legal advice, and may be inaccurate!!)
Having a weapon in your car as you pass, but do not enter, school property is legal with or without a CCW in CO. It's under the doctrine of "peaceful passage." I live within 1000' of a school. I do have a CCW, but if I didn't that would mean I could never take a weapon in my car to target shoot--or sell, for that matter. Or walk out to the street to get arepaired gun from the UPS guy. The incredible moronic letter of this BS statute has been modified again and again in the light of reason.

Beau

imported post

Does CO require taining to get your license? Is the cost what the preious poster listed? That is crazy.

My IN license is a lifetime license. Cost $125. No training required.

Gunslinger

imported post

Beau wrote:
Does CO require taining to get your license? Is the cost what the preious poster listed? That is crazy.

NRA approved handgun training course, unless you have a DD214 within last 10 years, $75. 4 hours of basic bs to anyone with experience, but I had a good class with a lot of interesting discussions, not "never point the muzzle at your leg" type stuff. However, after you get a CCW in El Paso County (Colorado Springs), the sheriff, Terry Makkita, sends you a letter congratulating you and thanking you for making the decision to protect your family and property by getting the license. Never seen that before. The Springs and county are the most gun friendly place I've ever lived in or heard of.

Beau

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Beau wrote:

NRA approved handgun training course, unless you have a DD214 within last 10 years, $75.
I discharged in 2004. Because of that is the fee reduced?

Gunslinger

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
The license fee isn't reduced. The DD214 counts as training, so you don't have to pay for a CCW class. It's all in the packet I posted.
Correct. You do save 75 clams, however.

bomber

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:

A hunter's safety card meets the training requirement in some counties
is that the case in denver county?

opencarrybilly

imported post

Pardon me, folks. And, I surely do not want to offend you as I know some of you from personal contact as well as on these forums and have come to value you as friends. But, it seems to me that you are going to considerable trouble and expense to collaborate with the state and the sheriffs to support the unconstitutional requirement to have a permit to put your coat on over your gun. Is it a class two or a class three misdemeanor? Think about CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!!! Place thumb aside of nose. Wave fingers.

Best Regards,

Bill

:D

Beau

imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
Pardon me, folks. And, I surely do not want to offend you as I know some of you from personal contact as well as on these forums and have come to value you as friends. But, it seems to me that you are going to considerable trouble and expense to collaborate with the state and the sheriffs to support the unconstitutional requirement to have a permit to put your coat on over your gun. Is it a class two or a class three misdemeanor? Think about CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!!! Place thumb aside of nose. Wave fingers.

Best Regards,

Bill

Just curious if you have been a test case for this and if so what the outcome was.

opencarrybilly

imported post

Beau wrote:
opencarrybilly wrote:

Best Regards,

Bill

Just curious if you have been a test case for this and if so what the outcome was.

One might say that I did unintentionally test how the police would respect the law and uphold the constitution.After carefully checking all state and local laws, Itook my gun along (OC)when I went to the lakeside to eat an apple and enjoy the sunset on the water. AND. . .

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/28597.html

o_O

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
o_O wrote:
In short the answer I've reached is get your CCW permit even if you only plan to carry in your car. Otherwise you will most likely fall foul of the school zone law.

You can carry in your car and conceal the weapon. A rifle or shotgun must have an empty chamber, mine is always unloaded, not sure if you can have any in the magazine. Handguns can be loaded and chambered.

One thing I found out recently is the restriction of the 'School Zone' to carrying in your car.

--
It is illegal to bring a gun with 1,000 feet of a school, with certain exceptions.

(2)(a) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

(26) The term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law."
--
However the certain exceptions mentioned above include CCW permits issues with background checks. More from http://gunowners.org/fs9611.htm

--
THE "GUN OWNER REGISTRATION EXEMPTION:" The "gun free zones" law exempts CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) holders who live in a state that requires a background check before the issuing of a permit.

--

So if you only plan to carry in your car, it's a very good idea to still get a CCW permit as well! 5 years in prison just for driving within 1000 feet of a elementary or secondary school. Good luck avoiding all them, especially as they include home schools!

Another thing that make this School Zone law impractical is, 'weapon' is not just defined as guns but knives too. If you don't have a CCW and drive to your next hunt (even if it's a bow hunt) you'll have to plan the drive in and out of each city really, really well to not fall foul of the law!

Training ~$125
Permit ~$150

Having a weapon in your car as you pass, but do not enter, school property is legal with or without a CCW in CO. It's under the doctrine of "peaceful passage." I live within 1000' of a school. I do have a CCW, but if I didn't that would mean I could never take a weapon in my car to target shoot--or sell, for that matter. Or walk out to the street to get arepaired gun from the UPS guy. The incredible moronic letter of this BS statute has been modified again and again in the light of reason.
Thanks for the futher info, I'd like to read up on that. Do you have a link to what is considered current legislation regarding 'peaceful passage'. No offense but 'some guy on the interwebs said it was OK' isn't a defense. Actually not much on the internet is.

Regarding getting training, if you're familiar with guns then there are ways to reduce the training costs but if you're not, getting training is just smart. I met a guy recently who moved here from the UK a few months ago. People are telling him to just get the Hunter Safety cert and then his CCW permit. That IMO is an accident waiting to happen.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Gunslinger

imported post

o_O wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
o_O wrote:

--

--

--

--

Training ~$125
Permit ~$150

Thanks for the futher info, I'd like to read up on that. Do you have a link to what is considered current legislation regarding 'peaceful passage'. No offense but 'some guy on the interwebs said it was OK' isn't a defense. Actually not much on the internet is.

Regarding getting training, if you're familiar with guns then there are ways to reduce the training costs but if you're not, getting training is just smart. I met a guy recently who moved here from the UK a few months ago. People are telling him to just get the Hunter Safety cert and then his CCW permit. That IMO is an accident waiting to happen.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
http://gunowners.org/fs9611.htmThere is also the Federal Statute allowing transport interstate irrespective of any other law. CCW holders in CO are exempt, prima facia; unloaded carry is also discussed in the above site.

o_O

imported post

Thanks for the link. I'm sure those guys know what they're talking about but it is still a site offering opinion. I was hoping to read the legisilation, preferably on a government site.

When I read the linked site it contained this (I'm in CO)

Note: Citizens in states like Virginia and Colorado should beware. While these states allow motorists to carry a firearm in the passenger compartment, an obvious conflict arises now when the motorist comes within 1,000 feet (about 3 blocks) of a school. Many jurisdictions now set up road blocks to give sobriety checks and check for seat belts being worn. Police who conduct these road blocks within a school zone will now have one more "prohibited activity" to inspect for.
The site kind of makes me think that CCW is still the way to go, because of the school zones. I don't see anything regarding 'peaceful passage' being acceptable, unless I'm reading it wrong.

opencarrybilly

imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
Beau wrote:
opencarrybilly wrote:

Best Regards,

Bill

One might say that I did unintentionally test how the police would respect the law and uphold the constitution.After carefully checking all state and local laws, Itook my gun along (OC)when I went to the lakeside to eat an apple and enjoy the sunset on the water. AND. . .

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/28597.html

OH! - - It just dawned on me that you were mainly talking about school zones. I was just talking about concealed carry without a permit - and not in school zones or othercriminal safe zones. Sorry.

I would be willing to become a test case for the school/criminal safe zones. I have the time, but no money with which to fund the venture. If we could organize so that we could raise money to hire an attorney who thinks (s)he could win such a test case - and to pay any other expenses, I'm your man.

Gunslinger

imported post

o_O wrote:
Thanks for the link. I'm sure those guys know what they're talking about but it is still a site offering opinion. I was hoping to read the legisilation, preferably on a government site.

When I read the linked site it contained this (I'm in CO)

Note: Citizens in states like Virginia and Colorado should beware. While these states allow motorists to carry a firearm in the passenger compartment, an obvious conflict arises now when the motorist comes within 1,000 feet (about 3 blocks) of a school. Many jurisdictions now set up road blocks to give sobriety checks and check for seat belts being worn. Police who conduct these road blocks within a school zone will now have one more "prohibited activity" to inspect for.
The site kind of makes me think that CCW is still the way to go, because of the school zones. I don't see anything regarding 'peaceful passage' being acceptable, unless I'm reading it wrong.
"Peaceful passage" is an accepted tenet of Common Law. As is often the case, it is incorporated into statutes by reference or custom, not generally direct quotation.

Diocoles

imported post

My goodness, such a wealth of info.

Here's the legal scoop:

Denver is not open carry nor is Breckenridge.

If you have a CCW permit, you can.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation sites the states statutes on Conceal Carry as well as open carry laws. There is a bunch to go through but it's all right here.

Also if you're going to be in Arapahoe County, contact Captain Brice Moomaw. He's top dog over all Conceal Carry in that County and can clarify any issue. Very CCW friendly.

State law pre-empts local ordinances with the "stupid" exception of Denver and Breckinridge.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/

Here is the direct link to the state statutes:

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

You'll find every thing you need there.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

Diocoles wrote:
Denver is not open carry nor is Breckenridge.

If you have a CCW permit, you can.
State law pre-empts local ordinances with the "stupid" exception of Denver and Breckinridge.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/
Are you saying that you can open carry in Denver or Breckenridge with a CCW permit? Definitely not true.

Denver is the obvious exception to lawful open carry, since they were a party to the Meyer decision, but Breckenridge is only one of several home-rule municipalities that claim the right to regulate open carry. There's been discussion here about this -- I don't believe there is case law to back up their claim. The state legislature clearly intended to preempt all local ordinances, and never cleared up the issue after the Meyer decision "carnage".