• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Probation in Reno (Washoe County)

iSharpShooter

imported post

I’m not on probation but my father is. In fact, he’s a transfer from California. He was released about two weeks ago from county jail in Southern California and my mother had already lined up the transfer to Nevada for him. He was in for non-violent driving under the influence and got six months.

When we moved to Reno I got to keep my job in San Diego so I rode down with them and stayed for two weeks and am still in San Diego tonight fixing to return to Reno on Monday.

My problems right now are two fold… And, I relize that we’re not attorneys here, but either my google searching has gotten real rusty or parole and probation doesn’t have any information worth a crap on their website, I can’t find it.

First problem is that it seems the probation department demanded the name rank and serial of everyone living in the house, and, my dad gave it to them. Is that legal? Can I contest that? I can’t find any online resources?

Second problem is that I’m told (by mom, who hates guns) that there can be no weapons on the property. This is a huge problem for me on two levels… First, I have so much stuff that I’d have to pay to have it stored somewhere secure. Also, the probation department, whom which the rest of us there have no business is forcing us to give up our 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment responsibility because dad’s an idiot. Again, is this accurate, legal? Does anyone know where I can find resources online???

A side note…

When we picked him up down in California it was in San Bernardino county and he had to report to the probation office there before leaving the state. I waited in the lobby where they happened to be playing an orientation video. I thought the choice of words in this video was very interested. It said specifically that “you can not have any guns, knives or other dangerous weapons under your control.” But then, in a later segment said “you must explain to all of the residents of your premises that drugs or alcohol are explicitly prohibited.”

Four of the six of us are working on getting CCWs so the pistols sure wouldn’t be under the control of anyone else and the rifles are in a locked case.

I’m very confused about this whole thing right now, and at the moment I’m getting the information fed to me 2[sup]nd[/sup] hand until I get home. But, I don’t want to get home and run the risk of walking into problems before I have a chance to figure this all out. I’ve made it clear to everyone there that I will not be giving up my firearms even if that means I’d have to move. I’d prefer not to move.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge, links, contacts, stories? This is all somewhat new to me and I’d really prefer not to have to find an attorney and challenge the county or state if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

-b

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I tend to think the state can make up whatever rules it wants. Since probation/parole is a "privilege" in lieu of serving time in jail, their rules apply. I would think the worst that can happen is they send your dad back to jail -- you are under no control or authority of the state merely because your roommate is.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I don't know anything about this subject as I've never studied it, but I would think weapons on the property would be okay as long as he did not have access to them. Cops carry guns, and if a cop stepped onto your property he would not be in violation because the cop's gun would not be under his control, right? So why would he be in violation if you had the gun under your control and not his?

I'm not a lawyer, I didn't read the law, and I didn't even stay in a holiday inn express, I'm just thinking aloud.

The Big Guy

imported post

I would think that the "rules" would apply to the parolee' only. It would be a violation of his parole to live in a place that has guns, drugs or alcohol. It would be up to him to decide if he wanted to run afoul of the parole system by living there.Who owns the residence or has their name on the lease?Whoever owns the place, or has their name on the lease makes the rules.

bookem03

imported post

Very interesting situation, great questions that should concern you. Contact his NV parole officer and ask for the Terms of his Parole and explain the situation. Or you could call Laub $Laub (They will answer a question over the phone.... for free:celebrate

iSharpShooter

imported post

Yeah, I've tried for three days to contact the probation office and I'm "waiting for a callback". I get off the plane in Reno at noon on Monday. If I don't have an answer by then I'm going straight to the probation office and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

I'll keep everyone posted, as this is a very touchy subject to me and, I have two more Glock 19's en route to the place in Reno scheduled for FFL delivery later this week.

Oh, and to be technical the house is in Dad's name. It's a long story better saved for the chit-chat thread be there are 8 of us in the immediate family and we got rid of the place in California to move to Reno.

(I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Expree either, but The Suites at Waterfront Park in Duluth, MN ROCKS!)

iSharpShooter

imported post

To give an update... I'm now going on three days trying to contact the probation office with no call back. I don't find this surprising at all.