• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petoskey, Northern Michigan?

Bailenforcer

imported post

I am very interested in OC experiences in Petoskey, Boyne City, Charlevoix Michigan towns up north.

T Vance

imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:
I am very interested in OC experiences in Petoskey, Boyne City, Charlevoix Michigan towns up north.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon. There are a few "Upper Lower Peninsula" OCer's on this forum.

Another suggestion, read all 170+ pages of the thread titled "OC Experiences". It is something you must do before you can become a full fleged member. Then they give you a quiz asking you questions about particular experiences and what page they are on. So study up!

T Vance

imported post

I know it's not near Petosky, but I did OC up around Chippewa Lake without issues. That's only in the middle of the LP, but that's the furthest up north I've OCed. One day I'll get up to my parents cottage in Alpena and do some OCing. I know Springerdave does it around there without incident.

Bailenforcer

imported post

actually I read pretty much all the 172 pages and enjoyed reading them. I see we have a pretty good group here, but I am no stranger to open carry. My experiences go back to when I was 18 years old fighting the ignorance. I was unsuccessfully prosecuted for open carry when I was barely 18. When I started in on my rights to open carry they went running for the cover form the rocks they came from under. Even my lawyer was dumb. Case dismissed!

Bailenforcer

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
johnniebravo wrote:
I OC'ed in Atlanta, Hillman, Cheboygan for the past9 days, no probs what so ever
Same here. Atlanta, Hillman for the past month. No issue's. I am curious about Charlevoix and Emmett counties (Petoskey Charlevoix) because theres always been a heavy handed anti gun mentality here. I ran into problems when I moved here and opened a branch office for the Detective agency I owned. They don't like anything that isn't them. Law Enforcement up here is really heavy handed and is used to having "their" way. Those who know the history of Private Investigators, know they were first used to investigate political corruption and corrupt cops and Judges. So having a unknown Detective just set up shop caused all kinds of panic, and threats.

EM87

imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:
actually I read pretty much all the 172 pages and enjoyed reading them. I see we have a pretty good group here, but I am no stranger to open carry. My experiences go back to when I was 18 years old fighting the ignorance. I was unsuccessfully prosecuted for open carry when I was barely 18. When I started in on my rights to open carry they went running for the cover form the rocks they came from under. Even my lawyer was dumb. Case dismissed!

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it turned out well for you.

EM87

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Another suggestion, read all 170+ pages of the thread titled "OC Experiences". It is something you must do before you can become a full fleged member. Then they give you a quiz asking you questions about particular experiences and what page they are on. So study up!

You are quite the joker! :p

I did actually read all the pages though, when I first found this site. Very interesting stuff!

knifemaker

imported post

I OC, or casual CC, in Petoskey almost daily. I go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. I OC'd at the China King buffet today. I've had a few questions, but no problems.

Alanson, Pellston and Mackinac City haven't been a problem either. I rarely get to Charlevoix.

The casual CC is usually just a vest over a Tom Threepersons belt rig. About 3/4 of the holster still shows.

I hope this helps.

Bailenforcer

imported post

knifemaker wrote:
I OC, or casual CC, in Petoskey almost daily. I go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. I OC'd at the China King buffet today. I've had a few questions, but no problems.

Alanson, Pellston and Mackinac City haven't been a problem either. I rarely get to Charlevoix.

The casual CC is usually just a vest over a Tom Threepersons belt rig. About 3/4 of the holster still shows.

I hope this helps.

Thank You very much. I wondered if anyone would up here.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Northern Michigan is the U.P., Lower Michigan (akas Southern Michigan/ Detroit) are below the bridge.

Sorry....couldn't resist :D

Oh Lord next you will be calling them trolls....

T.J.

imported post

I open carry around Gaylord often, and i've open carried in St. Ignace for the big Truck Show over the summer. I haven't had any issues.:lol:

Yooper

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I call myself a troll and my neighbor in da yoop calls me a transplant:p. Only place I have been asked to cover or leave is the large outdoor store in the Mackinaw Crossing plaza.springerdave.
One guy I used to work with was a transplant, and he'd get P.O.'d BIG TIME if you mentioned it to him. Which of course, led us to keep reminding him about it! :celebrate