• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy in west valley

rc4life

imported post

Hello all my name is Ryan, Im 22 and my girl and Ijust got a house in El Mirage(I know I need guns here)in july. I currently only have a Ruger 10/22 for house protection. On Tuesday night I am buying a Sig P239 .40from a friend. It includes 2 mags, Night sights, holster, and a few other things I cant remember at this time. Im buying it for $450 not sure if its a good deal because when I search backpage.com for other .40 there all priced around the same(but there not sigs) I dont know how much that adds to value but oh well....

Any ways Im from Mid Michigan been huntin and shootin since I could walk. Im excited to start ocing but am very nervous at the same time. I dont like drawling attention to myself so I think a ccw it in order.

Any ways Im always availible to help the cause and am looking forward to the oc dinners and any other events!

Thoreau

imported post

Welcome to the (domestic) sandbox =)

Considering the NEW pricing of that model, http://sgcusa.com/Handguns-Sig-Sauer/c84_91/p1664/Sig-P239-.40-S&W-Blued-%28239-40-B%29/product_info.html I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal there assuming good condition and all.

Personally, I am so far an H&K and Springfield person, but with that budget you may wanna consider some other options as well. Heck, a brand new Glock isn't far from that price tag, and certainly has a lot more capacity. Searching around at local shops (Cabelas is the last place I saw them in stock) for the all-too-common police trade-in Glock 40's might also be a good route to go with. If memory serves, they go for the neighborhood of $350 which would still leave ya with room for accessories (mags should be cheaper for a Glock than they are for a Sig.)

No matter what route ya go with, be sure to shoot that Sig if you haven't shot the model before (and even if you have, just to be sure it really is a good match for YOU... and perhaps your GF as well...)

Edit: As for the CCW, whether you carry openly or concealed, it's a GREAT class to take. The information you get from those 8 hours could mean the difference between a happy ending to a bad situation, or jail time. On top of that, it gives you options to carry in any way you see fit at any given time which can be nice =)

lostone1413

imported post

Welcome to Arizona! Sometimes its hard to believe anyone moves into Arizona other then the Anti-Gun Nuts from Ca. and the Anit-Gun Nuts from out East

mFonz77

imported post

Welcome! I'm also a transplant (Missouri boy here), and I tend to CC more than I OC (but just be patient, sometimes other states have a way of making you feel guilty about carrying a gun for protection). Last night we had a great OC dinner at Golden Corral in Tucson - I know we're trying to make them regular events and do them in Phoenix as well. Glad to have you aboard!

ogroup

imported post

I'm from the state of PA and we are ahead of you in GUNS LAWS here in AZ. I just move in here 6 months ago.

Things we can do in PA for a long time:

Open carry anywhere in the state except for a 1st class city like Philadelphia you will a permit for there
Carry into pistol range CC/OC without any screw ball rules.
Conceal Carry into a bar/restaurant while drinking/eating
Drink while carrying "which I'm not for doing"
Can not carry the usual places like courthouse, jail, etc

BTW in PA we don't have those NO GUNS signs. So please don't put everyone from the east coast into the same boat.

NY, NJ, MD, DC those state have strict gun laws with the most violence with GUN eg murder.

AZ have a ways to come before they can throw stones at other states.

I don't know why it is that way here maybe the people need to get the act together.

Thoreau

imported post

ogroup wrote:
I'm from the state of PA and we are ahead of you in GUNS LAWS here in AZ. I just move in here 6 months ago.

Open carry anywhere in the state except for a 1st class city like Philadelphia you will a permit for there

BTW in PA we don't have those NO GUNS signs. So please don't put everyone from the east coast into the same boat.

NY, NJ, MD, DC those state have strict gun laws with the most violence with GUN eg murder.

I don't know why it is that way here maybe the people need to get the act together.
I'm originally from PA as well (Harrisburg, ugh!) Just a quick comment on the list you provided...

"Open carry anywhere in the state except for a 1st class city like Philadelphia you will a permit for there"

Been like that in AZ at least since I got involved in firearms. No such thing as '1st class' cities here either. Also, NO PERMIT of ANY kind is needed here except to conceal. In PA, try carrying a loaded handgun in your car within reach without a permit...

"Carry into pistol range CC/OC without any screw ball rules."

Any rules you see here are a result of the business, not the state (and it's entirely within the rights of a business to enforce their own rules as property rights come into play.) This is part of why I'm a member at SGC and not someplace like Caswells or Shooter's World where you have to unload (!?) your gun before coming in.

"Conceal Carry into a bar/restaurant while drinking/eating"

Yup, behind the times is right on this one. But hey, at least we just moved in the *correct* direction finally. Now it's just a matter of time once the anti's realize that apocalypse hasn't befallen us.

"Drink while carrying "which I'm not for doing""

100% legal in AZ, and always has been. The new law (and past laws even) only come into play when you are doing so on property that has a liquor license.

"Can not carry the usual places like courthouse, jail, etc"

Par, and ditto =)

Phoenix David

imported post

Welcome RC to Arrizona and the forums

Sig;s are great firearms (I have two) and $450 does sound like a very good deal depending on he condition, I would want to shoot it first, but that's me.

I shoot at Phoenix Rod and Gun a lot and I think it's the closest place for the westside other than going out in to the desert and shoot. There is a range in Buckey but I don't know anything about it. Yell if you want to go to Phoenix Rod and Gun and check it out sometime.

http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

rc4life

imported post

Well I picked up my sig this evening. Overall the gun is in perfect condition and shoots very nicely! Cant wait to start Oc!!! Ill try to get a pic of it up.

Dave thanks for the offer, I never heard of thephoenix rod and gun range, I just go to shooters world its alot closer but Im sure Ill give ya a shout as Im always down to check out new places!

rc4life

imported post

1125090308.jpg

1125090310.jpg

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ogroup wrote:

First of all... forget the'How 'WE' do it in PA.... Arizona has been a Constitutional open carry state since statehood (1912). (AZC Sec 23 Art 26) Concealed (CWP) wasn't even an option 'til '94.

I'm from Maryland (ugh) originally... and left all that 'Maryland ' stuff back in Maryland. 'Biggest mistake people make when they come here is bringin' all their former social baggage with 'em from wherever. This is Arizona... heart of the old wild west 'n still is in most places. I may be more of a 'Zonie' than some native'Zonies'.... especially the city ones. It's different here... 'whole different culture. Adapt, adopt or go home.

ogroup

imported post

Sonora Rebel- I'm the one you'll have to worry about adopting. I'm ahead of the game than most of you. The ones you will have to worry about are the left wings people from those states I mention and some of the ones I did not mention the next to our left side.

Good luck

BTW I aready have LTCF, CCW from Utah. I will be getting my AZ CCW here in a few months.

"Today is the world we live in"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all... forget the'How 'WE' do it in PA.... Arizona has been a Constitutional open carry state since statehood (1912). (AZC Sec 23 Art 26) Concealed (CWP) wasn't even an option 'til '94.

I'm from Maryland (ugh) originally... and left all that 'Maryland ' stuff back in Maryland. 'Biggest mistake people make when they come here is bringin' all their former social baggage with 'em from wherever. This is Arizona... heart of the old wild west 'n still is in most places. I may be more of a 'Zonie' than some native'Zonies'.... especially the city ones. It's different here... 'whole different culture. Adapt, adopt or go home.

rc4life

imported post

Well I OCed for the first time last night at Walmart and then again today at Walmart Fry's and Safeway. No problems at all. Infact no one even seemed to care.

rc4life

imported post

black wolf defense wrote:
Here is the Buckeye Range info.... http://www.joefossshootingcomplex.com/webapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=64

The range appears to be nice (I havenever been there), but I see it all the time.I use the MCSO range just down from the public range.

The Buckeye range would be a lot cheaper than Shooters World, $7 all day, not $14 and hour!

John

Awesome, I was planing on going to Ben Avery today but I think I might try this place instead!

black wolf defense

imported post

Cool, I like this place better than BA.

rc4life wrote:
Here is the Buckeye Range info.... http://www.joefossshootingcomplex.com/webapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=64

The range appears to be nice (I havenever been there), but I see it all the time.I use the MCSO range just down from the public range.

The Buckeye range would be a lot cheaper than Shooters World, $7 all day, not $14 and hour!

John

Awesome, I was planing on going to Ben Avery today but I think I might try this place instead!

rc4life

imported post

rc4life wrote:

John

It was a very nice range with friendly staff! I def. need to work on my hand gun skills, I was planing on taking you ccw course on jan 9th but I need to take another class in addition to that, my grouping was a mile off lol!

black wolf defense

imported post

rc4life wrote:

rc4life wrote:

John

It was a very nice range with friendly staff! I def. need to work on my hand gun skills, I was planing on taking you ccw course on jan 9th but I need to take another class in addition to that, my grouping was a mile off lol!

No problem, I will do all I can to help you out. If you want too bring a few extra rounds to the CCW class,I will help you obtain smaller groups. 20 minutes I can get you to better grouping, or at least on the path to better grouping.

My Basic Handgun Marksmanship 1 class will definately get you to where you want to be grouping wise.

Call me anytime.... (623) 694-0377

John Hansen

rc4life

imported post

rc4life wrote:

rc4life wrote:

John

No problem, I will do all I can to help you out. If you want too bring a few extra rounds to the CCW class,I will help you obtain smaller groups. 20 minutes I can get you to better grouping, or at least on the path to better grouping.

My Basic Handgun Marksmanship 1 class will definately get you to where you want to be grouping wise.

Call me anytime.... (623) 694-0377

John Hansen
Awesome! Ill give you a call once I find out if my girl gets her .38 or not because she wants to take the class as well!