Thread: OC questions

Post imported post

My parents live in Las Vegas, and are building a house up North on some land. Over this holiday weekend coming up my mother asked me to bring a gun so her and I could walk their property (the main concern is snakes, coyotes, etc..). I will either be bringing a glock 45 or a 380. I am concerned on what is the best way to transport a weapon across state lines as I live in Arizona. I don't want to have any issues in the event I get pulled over on my way home or on our way to their property. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mandy

Post imported post

The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
    If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

Post imported post

You can OC in AZ & NV so you should be fine. I think the handgun has to be clearly visible in the vehicle.

If you are in the county Vegas is in (Clark?) I think you have to register your handgun with the police if you are there for 60 days or longer.. or something like that. If you are just visiting don't worry about it.

EDIT: As a side note I remember there being some debate over the preemption laws in NV, and some localities in Clark county seem to have ordinances against OC.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

State specific information (basic) is available on OCDO maps - top left of page. You would seem to be good to go presuming that you are traveling within the borders of just those two states.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    You can OC in AZ & NV so you should be fine. I think the handgun has to be clearly visible in the vehicle.

If you are in the county Vegas is in (Clark?) I think you have to register your handgun with the police if you are there for 60 days or longer.. or something like that. If you are just visiting don't worry about it.

EDIT: As a side note I remember there being some debate over the preemption laws in NV, and some localities in Clark county seem to have ordinances against OC.
    NV State Law clearly preempts, and provides no exceptions. the only failure is the registration scheme which was grandfathered in, and you have mentioned that.

Several localities are enforcing their own agendas, in defiance of this preemption. No one has sacked up for a test case on them yet...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
    If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.
    +1

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

When in doubt, lock it in the trunk or in a compartment that is not easy to get to.

I think you may want something with a little more spread for a snake though...

Post imported post

More importantly why are you shooting snakes with a .45??
    .380 will take out a coyote fine, .45 will leave a huge mess.

But for the snakes you need shotshells.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

In NV you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle if it remains plainly visible, glove compartment is not allowed.
    Is hip-holstered ok? I wear it on my right hip, but it's still visible from the driver's side window.

Or would they insist it be riding on the seat next to me?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    In NV you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle if it remains plainly visible, glove compartment is not allowed.
    Is hip-holstered ok? I wear it on my right hip, but it's still visible from the driver's side window.

Or would they insist it be riding on the seat next to me?
    Is it discernible by ordinary observation?

Right hip, seat belt on, that can be touch and go and decided by a court if the officer thinks it was concealed. I would say do so at your own risk. If you have a permit then no worries.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson