• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC questions

tessa189

imported post

My parents live in Las Vegas, and are building a house up North on some land. Over this holiday weekend coming up my mother asked me to bring a gun so her and I could walk their property (the main concern is snakes, coyotes, etc..). I will either be bringing a glock 45 or a 380. I am concerned on what is the best way to transport a weapon across state lines as I live in Arizona. I don't want to have any issues in the event I get pulled over on my way home or on our way to their property. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mandy

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

kurtmax_0

imported post

You can OC in AZ & NV so you should be fine. I think the handgun has to be clearly visible in the vehicle.

If you are in the county Vegas is in (Clark?) I think you have to register your handgun with the police if you are there for 60 days or longer.. or something like that. If you are just visiting don't worry about it.

EDIT: As a side note I remember there being some debate over the preemption laws in NV, and some localities in Clark county seem to have ordinances against OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

State specific information (basic) is available on OCDO maps - top left of page. You would seem to be good to go presuming that you are traveling within the borders of just those two states.

Yata hey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
You can OC in AZ & NV so you should be fine. I think the handgun has to be clearly visible in the vehicle.

If you are in the county Vegas is in (Clark?) I think you have to register your handgun with the police if you are there for 60 days or longer.. or something like that. If you are just visiting don't worry about it.

EDIT: As a side note I remember there being some debate over the preemption laws in NV, and some localities in Clark county seem to have ordinances against OC.
NV State Law clearly preempts, and provides no exceptions. the only failure is the registration scheme which was grandfathered in, and you have mentioned that.

Several localities are enforcing their own agendas, in defiance of this preemption. No one has sacked up for a test case on them yet...

vegasche1023

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

+1

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In NV you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle if it remains plainly visible, glove compartment is not allowed.

Is hip-holstered ok? I wear it on my right hip, but it's still visible from the driver's side window.

Or would they insist it be riding on the seat next to me?

VAopencarry

imported post

since9 wrote:
In NV you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle if it remains plainly visible, glove compartment is not allowed.

Is hip-holstered ok? I wear it on my right hip, but it's still visible from the driver's side window.

Or would they insist it be riding on the seat next to me?
Is it discernible by ordinary observation?

Right hip, seat belt on, that can be touch and go and decided by a court if the officer thinks it was concealed. I would say do so at your own risk. If you have a permit then no worries.