Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Action New "Open Carry" Policy

Post imported post

Double Action did not have ANY OC policy before recently, but said it was forbidden. Now it's the #1 rule of the store. I normally boycott the place, but it was a friend's bachelor party, and other friends planned part of it there.

This is the end-all-be-all from this store. I'm refusing to go to any event, regardless of what it is at this store.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

The unfortunate thing is that the percentage of OC'ers to CC'ers is nearly insignificant to make any real impact at all to the business by boycotting. And, I'm fairly certain they're aware of this.

*Hypocrites*

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Simple: If they can't see it they "feel" safe.

Unfortunately, that is the mantra of they antis.

Do you have to draw from concealed when on the firing line? :P

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.ö Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Having a gun store and banning OC is like having a soup kitchen and banning spoons.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Simple: If they can't see it they "feel" safe.

Unfortunately, that is the mantra of they antis.

Do you have to draw from concealed when on the firing line? :P

Yata hey
    According to their website you must remain concealed until you are on the firing line.

Post imported post

Never been there, Now I never will!

Post imported post

Read the line about it applying to LEO... They actually cannot ban an on duty LEO from Ocing so that is just absurd.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

That place will never get any of my business. I don't understand how some people can be so stupid. I usually don't insult others, especially over the internet, but it only seems appropriate now.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

i won't patronize them either. one place our rights should not bedenied is a gun shop.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

Ha, that sign is funny!

Is this place run by 3rd graders? I've never been there and now never will. They sound DANGEROUS!

If you pick the policy apart you'll notice that first it only applies to CPL holders. The sign says so. The sign is totally flawed, statement 2 says, "it is dangerous to draw a weapon" is that a policy? If I draw a weapon for what ever reason, I decide if it is dangerous or not, since I am in full contol of my firearm. Ohhhh, maybe they mean they will draw on me. I think someone said that they would draw on a OC person.

The rest of the sign is ridiculous as well.

Well, I'm OK with 4 & 7.

Stay clear of this place.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
    you'll notice that first it only applies to CPL holders.
    So maybe some non-CPL holder can go their open carrying and ask to shoot at the range

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    They actually cannot ban an on duty LEO from Ocing so that is just absurd.
    Why not? There is no law that says you must allow cops on your property without a warrant or RAS.

I am fully in favor of their rights to keep anyone off their property that they choose. And similarly, judging by their rule, I bet they are happy that we will tell anyone who listens not to go there.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Oh my god!

What are they afraid of? Change? That's scawwy! Someone might get "edjukated"? Even scawwier!

jerks

"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Personally, I would go there and ask a manager to help me build a Christmas wish list. That way they know how much I would have purchased, then I would act like a just saw their new nifty signage, and tell them THANKS but NO THANKS. And that I would much rather spend my Christmas money at a firearms store that fully supports lawful carry. Not half support. I would then take my list, crumple it up and throw it in their trash can as I tell them I would much rather take my business to their competitors. As I am sure they would not have a problem with it.

I wonder how it would look for a Firearms Store to be posted on the DO NOT PATRONIZE website. And make it very publicly known.

Post imported post

I work at another large gun store in the area, near Double Action. And not Firing Line.

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can saythat there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

There are many reasons for us to prefer CC, and I can go into those later. But I suspect that one of the main reasons for shops to prefer CC is the comfort of customers. Customers do not want to feel uncomfortable when they enter our store. This is counter-intuitive, but imagine that you are a new member at a gym. Would you feel more comfortable if the personal trainers had normal body types, or if they all looked as though they were on steroids? You would probably be more comfortable taking body-building advice from someone who looked like you, and who you felt was in your situation - not someone who was so muscular that it looked as though they never had to work out.

Sure, many of our customers are comfortable with firearms and OC would not bother them. But a great deal of them are uncomfortable with firearms and we, as a range, often serve as their first introduction to firearms. We don't want that introduction to be one of unease. As comfortable as you may feel OC, you must recognize that others do not feel comfortable with it, right? (I don't mean this in a demeaning way at all, but in rhetorical sense.)

Yes, in an ideal world, OC would be perfectly acceptable and no one would feel uncomfortable. I don't think that this is the reality yet.

I'm not pretending at all to have all the answers on this discussion, but merely felt that I could contribute something from a different perspective. What are your thoughts?

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Read the line about it applying to LEO... They actually cannot ban an on duty LEO from Ocing so that is just absurd.
    I don't mean to nit pick, cause I could care less about a L.E.O and his job, but where in the M.C.L. codes does it prohibit a private property owner from exercising his right.

Remember Private property over rules all Michigan laws on Possession.

Post imported post

By the way I will never step in side this store.

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:
    I work at another large gun store in the area, near Double Action. And not Firing Line.

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can say┬*that there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.┬*I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

There are many reasons for us to prefer CC, and I can go into those later. But I suspect that one of the main reasons for shops to prefer CC is the comfort of customers. Customers do not want to feel uncomfortable when they enter our store. This is counter-intuitive, but imagine that you are a new member at a gym. Would you feel more comfortable if the personal trainers had normal body types, or if they all looked as though they were on steroids? You would probably be more comfortable taking body-building advice from someone who looked like you, and who you felt was in your situation - not someone who was so muscular that it looked as though they never had to work out.

Sure, many of our customers are comfortable with firearms and OC would not bother them. But a great deal of them are uncomfortable with firearms and we, as a range, often serve as their first introduction to firearms. We don't want that introduction to be one of unease. As comfortable as you may feel OC, you must recognize that others do not feel comfortable with it, right? (I don't mean this in a demeaning way at all, but in rhetorical sense.)

Yes, in an ideal world, OC would be perfectly acceptable and no one would feel uncomfortable. I don't think that this is the reality yet.

I'm not pretending at all to have all the answers on this discussion, but merely felt that I could contribute something from a different perspective. What are your thoughts?
    All I have to say is lameeeeeeeeee. OK we're speaking about gun shops here. You're trying to tell me many people entering a gun shop are uneasy about OC? I highly doubt that. Let me see OK let's take a gun range example. Some new shooters may be scared by the loud noise from the bang. Would you require all shoots to be silenced to help make people feel uneasy? Above is a pitiful excuse for supporting gun rights. If people are uneasy around guns and the owners are worried maybe they should go in to another line work. Oh yeah an dont fail to mention that all the employees at Double Action OC. So that kind of throws your "excuses" out the door doesnt it? hmmm I'm never going back to that overpriced place anyways.

Mike

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can saythat there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

That's what we're trying to do, make OC perfectly acceptable. When we have "one of our own" a gun shop, seemingly, actually, against the act of open carry all this does is give fuel to the anti's. "Look even their fellow gun owners think they're nuts"

Divide and conquer isthe way of thegun grabber, and DA is helping them.

Meanwhile, we're sitting here saying to ourselves, "thanksfor nothing" and "What the hell are they thinking?"

It's gunnies against the anti's, thats it, nothing more, there's only 2 sides. If you aren't helping usyou're hurting us.

What side are you on reidksmith?

and Welcome to OCDO

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:

Welcome to OCDO reidksmith.

Going by your analogy, if I were a new member at your store and I felt uncomfortable with Blacks and Hispanics present, would youtell them to cover their face and arms or leave the store?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    reidksmith wrote:

Welcome to OCDO reidksmith.

Going by your analogy, if I were a new member at your store and I felt uncomfortable with Blacks and Hispanics present, would youtell them to cover their face and arms or leave the store?
    OMG thats just stupid, eveyone knows Blacks and Hispanics don't kill people, guns do.

Post imported post

:shock:

Banned

Post imported post

So, any gun shop can just as easily put up human-sized posters or cutouts of Oleg Volk's open carriers, with a subtitle "These are our customers - welcome, fellow law-abiding citizens." Or something to that effect, rather than having a sign company immortalize their anti-RTBA policy in resin.

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:

So do you have any reasons that make sense? Because the one about people feeling unconfortable seeing someone carrying a GUN in a GUN SHOP is kind of ridiculous. Not trying to be a d%^k in my response here either.

Welcome BTW!

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can say┬*that there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.┬*I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

But don't you think that when walking into a gun shop, customers (whether new or old) would expect to see people with guns?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast