• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double Action New "Open Carry" Policy

malignity

imported post

Double Action did not have ANY OC policy before recently, but said it was forbidden. Now it's the #1 rule of the store. I normally boycott the place, but it was a friend's bachelor party, and other friends planned part of it there.

This is the end-all-be-all from this store. I'm refusing to go to any event, regardless of what it is at this store.

036.jpg

SpringerXDacp

imported post

The unfortunate thing is that the percentage of OC'ers to CC'ers is nearly insignificant to make any real impact at all to the business by boycotting. And, I'm fairly certain they're aware of this.

*Hypocrites*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Simple: If they can't see it they "feel" safe.

Unfortunately, that is the mantra of they antis.

Do you have to draw from concealed when on the firing line? :p

Yata hey

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Simple: If they can't see it they "feel" safe.

Unfortunately, that is the mantra of they antis.

Do you have to draw from concealed when on the firing line? :p

Yata hey
According to their website you must remain concealed until you are on the firing line.

EM87

imported post

That place will never get any of my business. I don't understand how some people can be so stupid. I usually don't insult others, especially over the internet, but it only seems appropriate now.

Wglide90

imported post

Ha, that sign is funny!

Is this place run by 3rd graders? I've never been there and now never will. They sound DANGEROUS!

If you pick the policy apart you'll notice that first it only applies to CPL holders. The sign says so. The sign is totally flawed, statement 2 says, "it is dangerous to draw a weapon" is that a policy? If I draw a weapon for what ever reason, I decide if it is dangerous or not, since I am in full contol of my firearm. Ohhhh, maybe they mean they will draw on me. I think someone said that they would draw on a OC person.

The rest of the sign is ridiculous as well.

Well, I'm OK with 4 & 7.

Stay clear of this place.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
They actually cannot ban an on duty LEO from Ocing so that is just absurd.
Why not? There is no law that says you must allow cops on your property without a warrant or RAS.

I am fully in favor of their rights to keep anyone off their property that they choose. And similarly, judging by their rule, I bet they are happy that we will tell anyone who listens not to go there.

THway

imported post

Personally, I would go there and ask a manager to help me build a Christmas wish list. That way they know how much I would have purchased, then I would act like a just saw their new nifty signage, and tell them THANKS but NO THANKS. And that I would much rather spend my Christmas money at a firearms store that fully supports lawful carry. Not half support. I would then take my list, crumple it up and throw it in their trash can as I tell them I would much rather take my business to their competitors. As I am sure they would not have a problem with it.

I wonder how it would look for a Firearms Store to be posted on the DO NOT PATRONIZE website. And make it very publicly known.

reidksmith

imported post

I work at another large gun store in the area, near Double Action. And not Firing Line.

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can saythat there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

There are many reasons for us to prefer CC, and I can go into those later. But I suspect that one of the main reasons for shops to prefer CC is the comfort of customers. Customers do not want to feel uncomfortable when they enter our store. This is counter-intuitive, but imagine that you are a new member at a gym. Would you feel more comfortable if the personal trainers had normal body types, or if they all looked as though they were on steroids? You would probably be more comfortable taking body-building advice from someone who looked like you, and who you felt was in your situation - not someone who was so muscular that it looked as though they never had to work out.

Sure, many of our customers are comfortable with firearms and OC would not bother them. But a great deal of them are uncomfortable with firearms and we, as a range, often serve as their first introduction to firearms. We don't want that introduction to be one of unease. As comfortable as you may feel OC, you must recognize that others do not feel comfortable with it, right? (I don't mean this in a demeaning way at all, but in rhetorical sense.)

Yes, in an ideal world, OC would be perfectly acceptable and no one would feel uncomfortable. I don't think that this is the reality yet.

I'm not pretending at all to have all the answers on this discussion, but merely felt that I could contribute something from a different perspective. What are your thoughts?

conservative85

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Read the line about it applying to LEO... They actually cannot ban an on duty LEO from Ocing so that is just absurd.
I don't mean to nit pick, cause I could care less about a L.E.O and his job, but where in the M.C.L. codes does it prohibit a private property owner from exercising his right.

Remember Private property over rules all Michigan laws on Possession.

mikestilly

imported post

reidksmith wrote:
I work at another large gun store in the area, near Double Action. And not Firing Line.

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can say that there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses. I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

There are many reasons for us to prefer CC, and I can go into those later. But I suspect that one of the main reasons for shops to prefer CC is the comfort of customers. Customers do not want to feel uncomfortable when they enter our store. This is counter-intuitive, but imagine that you are a new member at a gym. Would you feel more comfortable if the personal trainers had normal body types, or if they all looked as though they were on steroids? You would probably be more comfortable taking body-building advice from someone who looked like you, and who you felt was in your situation - not someone who was so muscular that it looked as though they never had to work out.

Sure, many of our customers are comfortable with firearms and OC would not bother them. But a great deal of them are uncomfortable with firearms and we, as a range, often serve as their first introduction to firearms. We don't want that introduction to be one of unease. As comfortable as you may feel OC, you must recognize that others do not feel comfortable with it, right? (I don't mean this in a demeaning way at all, but in rhetorical sense.)

Yes, in an ideal world, OC would be perfectly acceptable and no one would feel uncomfortable. I don't think that this is the reality yet.

I'm not pretending at all to have all the answers on this discussion, but merely felt that I could contribute something from a different perspective. What are your thoughts?

All I have to say is lameeeeeeeeee. OK we're speaking about gun shops here. You're trying to tell me many people entering a gun shop are uneasy about OC? I highly doubt that. Let me see OK let's take a gun range example. Some new shooters may be scared by the loud noise from the bang. Would you require all shoots to be silenced to help make people feel uneasy? Above is a pitiful excuse for supporting gun rights. If people are uneasy around guns and the owners are worried maybe they should go in to another line work. Oh yeah an dont fail to mention that all the employees at Double Action OC. So that kind of throws your "excuses" out the door doesnt it? hmmm I'm never going back to that overpriced place anyways.

Mike

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

reidksmith wrote:

I can't speak for DA's OC policy. But I can saythat there are reasons for opposing OC at a gun store that do not apply to other businesses.I have no role in setting our OC policy and cannot pretend to speak for our motives either. But I can offer an employee's perspective to what many consider to be hypocrisy.

That's what we're trying to do, make OC perfectly acceptable. When we have "one of our own" a gun shop, seemingly, actually, against the act of open carry all this does is give fuel to the anti's. "Look even their fellow gun owners think they're nuts"

Divide and conquer isthe way of thegun grabber, and DA is helping them.

Meanwhile, we're sitting here saying to ourselves, "thanksfor nothing" and "What the hell are they thinking?"

It's gunnies against the anti's, thats it, nothing more, there's only 2 sides. If you aren't helping usyou're hurting us.

What side are you on reidksmith?

and Welcome to OCDO :)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

reidksmith wrote:

Welcome to OCDO reidksmith.

Going by your analogy, if I were a new member at your store and I felt uncomfortable with Blacks and Hispanics present, would youtell them to cover their face and arms or leave the store?