Thread: Has anyone been denied for a CPL in Oakland county?

Post imported post

As I stated in my prior post, I applied for a CPL last month. I qualify in every way but I have had 2 D.U.I's over 8 years ago. My first was in '96 and my second I was sentenced in October of 2001. The woman at the clerks office made note that it was over over 8 years so I was eligible. My hesitation is that 2 years ago I went to the city of Troy to get a purchase Permit and they denied me based on my criminal history of 2 dui's and 2 drunk and disorderly charges. I do understand the cities stance. On paper I sound like I shouldn't have a weapon! I quit drinking 8 years ago in my mid 20's and I know I could probably win an appeal, but I just don't feel like going through all of those hoops. Has anyone heard of any denials in Oakland county that had similar circumstances?

Post imported post

I wish I had some information for you, but all I can say is good luck!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

I didn't make it clear before, but I am still waiting, I haven't been denied, or approved.

Post imported post

I grew up in Troy, Troy PD is somewhat messed imo...but afaik if the DUI is longer than 8 years that should be ok.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Post imported post

This is one of those questions you should refer to the Legal Beagle section on MGO, or ask a lawyer. Many cities and towns do not follow state law when issuing or denying purchase permits. If your eligible for a CPL, then they cannot deny you. That's the whole meaning behind "shall issue". If your eligible for a purchase permit, they are also not supposed to deny you, but they also know that you probably won't hire a lawyer to fight it. County's aren't usually as corrupt as the smaller units of government in this area.

Post imported post

There is the part in the law that gives a gun board discression something about if the applicant could be a danger to himself or others. That is a slippery slope. It leaves a big door wide open. Don't misunderstand, I dont want dangerous people to have guns, however I fear any kind of "loop hole" that anti-gun people can use. It seems that this was covered under all of the other provisions in this law in regards to felonys and mental illness. Am I off base here? Would anyone like to see the laws way looser? Tighter?

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    There is the part in the law that gives a gun board discression something about if the applicant could be a danger to himself or others. That is a slippery slope. It leaves a big door wide open. Don't misunderstand, I dont want dangerous people to have guns, however I fear any kind of "loop hole" that anti-gun people can use. It seems that this was covered under all of the other provisions in this law in regards to felonys and mental illness. Am I off base here? Would anyone like to see the laws way looser? Tighter?
    The law is very clear. If you meet the criteria you will receive it. If you're worried and have to go in front of the board I advise you to bring an attorney. If I did something in my past that might be called in to question you want a lawyer defending your rights to bear arms to avoid what you're saying above. Otherwise if you're not called in front of the board you have nothing to worry about.

Post imported post

+1

Also... Oakland County is pro gun.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    As I stated in my prior post, I applied for a CPL last month. I qualify in every way but I have had 2 D.U.I's over 8 years ago. My first was in '96 and my second I was sentenced in October of 2001. The woman at the clerks office made note that it was over over 8 years so I was eligible. My hesitation is that 2 years ago I went to the city of Troy to get a purchase Permit and they denied me based on my criminal history of 2 dui's and 2 drunk and disorderly charges. I do understand the cities stance. On paper I sound like I shouldn't have a weapon! I quit drinking 8 years ago in my mid 20's and I know I could probably win an appeal, but I just don't feel like going through all of those hoops. Has anyone heard of any denials in Oakland county that had similar circumstances?
    Welcome to OCDO!

I was worried about similar items, as I quit drinking over 20 years ago in my 20's and thought that the "past sins" would come back to haunt me. I was not denied either the pistol purchase permit or a CPL.

The following is the MCL on Pistol Purchase Permits (please read it!): http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

Excerpt:
    (3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:
    As I read it, Troy PD had to have probable cause to deny the pistol purchase permit. Since it was approximately 6 years since your last offense, I am not sure what that probable cause could have been.

Probable Cause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probable_cause

It will be fun once you have your CPL to bring in the Pistol Sales Record in to the Troy PD! You need not do anything more than smile as you hand it to them
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    First get your CPL and you'll never have to worry bout purchase permit

The denial of a purchase permit, I think I would have replied with I can't exercise my rights but you'll let me drive a car. Should lawyer up on that one next time.

Post imported post

The reason I started looking into a cpl is because I was denied a purchase permit. It seemed easier!!!

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    The reason I started looking into a cpl is because I was denied a purchase permit. It seemed easier!!!
    Don't compare the denial to a CPL, LTP's are denied frequently due to many reasons. One for example, having the same name of another individual with a not-so-good background history.

Post imported post

My friend Mark is on the gun board. He is the one non government worker there. Going by what he's told me, I have every reason to doubt that they'll deny you if they said up front you were eligible. They can find out instantly with the LEIN system that you're legal or not.

I would consider it extremely unlikely that they'll deny you. But if they do, contact Mark. Here is his website with his contact info. www.wildwestacademy.com

The only real problem with the way they process CPLs, aside from the fact the damn unconstitutional things even exist, is the fact that they are SLOW. Here, they make you bring a picture, and within a couple months or so, they make and send a card using technology a 3rd grader could have designed in the 1940s.

In other states, you bring them your paper work, they snap a picture, and in less than half an hour they hand you a card. Many High Schools use this type of system for ID's. Why in the hell can't the state of Michigan?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Well, "Shall Issue" means just that. I got my CPL permit today.

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    Congrads!!!!!!

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    Congrats! How long did it take once you put in for it?
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    Congrats! It was an exciting day when I got mine, so I know how you feel!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Congrats! Not to be Debbie Downer but 4 major alcohol related offences is a pretty big deal. I wouldn't sniff a beer while carrying if I were you.

Post imported post

It took 7 weeks to get approved.

Post imported post

Its a very big deal. I don't drink at all. I was in my 20's then, I have a wife and kids now. Not Debbie Downer, good advice..

Post imported post

As long as you learned from yourPAST, that is all that matters NOW. Some of us here have probably made our share of mistakes at one time or another too.

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    im in the same boat as you in terms of approval...its been 5 weeks for me as of today...
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

EDA50 wrote:
    Many local PDs deny a permit. They have denied permits because a family member has contacted them saying they don't want that person to have a gun. So they really don't need a good reason to deny you a PP.

THE GOOD NEWS. You can circumvent this problem. We know of people that have been denied locally and have just applied for a CPL. When approved you don't need a PP anymore you can use your CPL to buy a handgun. Problem solved.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.